6 Replies Latest reply: May 29, 2014 1:50 PM by closetoleavingtv RSS

Issues with receiver and client

closetoleavingtv

I have a HR34-700 receiver and 2 clients C31-700. These are my issues:

(1) One of my clients, in my living room has been freezing when I rewind a show. By freezing I mean it will rewind, then the TV screen will go black and then come back on with the status bar starting as if I just changed the channel to that show I was rewinding back.

(2) The same client, will take forever to show my favorites menu, (you know when you press the up arrow on the remote) about two weeks ago, I had tech support reposition my satellite, and I showed him what I was talking about. I hit the up arrow and at approximately count 6 or 7, the menu showed up. He stated that was "strange" and thought it may have something to do with my receiver, saying my clients are not up to date, and that I may not have the newest Genie clients. He checked my cables and said they were the correct ones, checked my swim and that was "green". Suggested I call about the receiver, I called and was told I had the newest and updated equipment.

(3) Changing channels on the same client, will stall/freeze or whatever you want to call it. Meaning, changing channels (Killeen-Waco-Temple Texas coverage area) for example 250 to 275, the first 5 channels change like any channel would I guess, but then at 256, I get a black screen for about 3 seconds, then the channels will fly through 5 more channels and then stop and let me change them on my own.

(4) Finally (for now), watching shows, you name it and it has happened, the show will freeze like I'm on the slowest internet connection known to man and its trying to buffer out!

These are not made up, this is what I am going through with my equipment. My question to you, the forum is this; has anyone out there ever experienced what I described here with their own equipment? Before you advice me to 1. change my batteries...done, 2. change HDMI cables...done (advised by tech support last year), 3. get a new TV lol...done

The tech who readjusted my satellite, told me I should have an update because I have a new antenna, and that I shouldn't have any "weather" issues and it would have to be pouring down and **** near tornado winds lol, I laugh because just yesterday 27 May 2014 while watching TV around 2:30 pm, my satellite was searching for reception with dark grey patchy clouds and no rain.

So again, I ask, has anyone out there had any issues with their equipment from which I described herein, and if so, PLEASE help me! As my login name states "closetoleavingTV" I am really that close to going back to cable!!

• Re: Issues with receiver and client
    peds48

try swapping these two clients and see if the problem follows the client or stay in the room

closetoleavingtv

@peds48 Ok, I will reply if that made a difference, BUT, now I have to listen to the kids complain about "the tv not playing" or "the channel won't change" but I will take the advice Not to sound or be read as rude, but I am just frustrated. Especially when I hear other DirecTv customers talk so highly about DirecTv, and I just happen to be the only one out of 2 million customers with satellite and client issues

closetoleavingtv

I took your advice, this is what happened. Today while watching the Boston and Braves baseball game, around 7 pm I decided to see what else is on by pressing the blue button on my remote, as soon as I pressed the button, the screen went black for about 10 to 15 seconds, then it came back on. I knew exactly what happened, so I pressed the rewind button and sure enough, it responded as if I just turned to the channel I was already watching before I pressed the blue button!

So both my clients are doing the same thing. Are there any other suggestions or advice from anyone else?

closetoleavingtv

One more thing I forgot to mention, prior to me finding this forum and registering. I Turned on the television and client, then went to go get receiver and client information from other rooms in my home, now it takes some time to write down numbers or scroll through menu screens, so when I came back to the living room I guess I was gone for centuries because I forgot I turned the TV and the client on because it just started playing!

watson4664

My suggestion would be to switch the clients and see if the problem stays with the client or with the location.  If the issue follows the client then you have more leverage with DTV in getting a replacement.  If you maintain the protection plan then you should have no problem getting the client replaced and can actually get a free equipment upgrade every two years. If not then you are most likely on your own.

The only problem I have experienced so far  is when I moved the wireless router to close to the DTV bridge. I did have strange client behavior but later I noticed a network conflict message and remembered I had recently move my router close to the bridge.

I think the installation guide specifies they must be 5 feet apart.  I move my router further away and have not see any problems since.

I have had the C41-500 clients for about 4 months now and never had a problem I didn't cause.

closetoleavingtv

watson4664, I switched thew clients as advised from @peds48, I replied with the results a few hours later. I do not have the wireless clients, I still have the "ugly" wires lol. So my next route is to call tech support, and go through the trouble shooting procedures Ahhh ginnnn. I know they have a script they have to stick to, but seriously, I'm tired of explaining this to them again and again. Cable is looking so so much better!! Thanks for you advice @watson4664