10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2014 5:18 AM by texasbrit RSS

Series manager problem on HR24-200 DVR

undeleteme

Hello,

In Series Manager, for some programs that I select to record, the following happen:

-- No programs record at all

-- Random episodes record

In both situations (and for over half a year!), I have had to manually add/select-to-record many programs that are part of a series. This happens both when I select new episodes and/or all episodes.

Does anyone have advice how to remedy this? I am fed up with having to check the To Do List and also having to manually add lots of episodes belonging to series that I have selected to record.

Or does this mean my DVR is defective?

Thanks.

• Re: Series manager problem on HR24-200 DVR
    peds48

Start by telling us which shows are you trying to record

undeleteme

"Judge Judy" (local station via DTV), "Fraiser" (Hallmark Channel) and "Forensic Files" (HLN) aka "Mystery Detectives" are some examples.

texasbrit

Those are all programs that repeat episodes multiple times. Series links will NOT record duplicates; a duplicate is any episode recorded in the last 30 days (even if it is not on the disk). The only way to record duplicates is to select each of the episodes manually.

undeleteme

I did not know that and have marked your reply (copied below) as correct. Still have one more question/comment though. Even when selecting the option to record repeats (and/or both new & repeats), some shows that repeat *after* 30 days do not record and have to be set manually. This is why I suspect there is something wrong with our DVR.

And a separate question: where can I find the place to subscribe to replies to particular threads in this forum?

Thanks!

Those are all programs that repeat episodes multiple times. Series links will NOT record duplicates; a duplicate is any episode recorded in the last 30 days (even if it is not on the disk). The only way to record duplicates is to select each of the episodes manually.

texasbrit

You might be misinterpreting the way the DVR works. How do you know the episode will not record? Is the DVR actually passing the date when the program episode is scheduled, or are you just looking at the list of episodes scheduled to record? Many people schedule a series, then look at the todo list or the list of future episodes and find the program is missing so they assume it isn't going to happen. In general that's not the case. First, these lists will fill in as you get closer to the scheduled date. Second, even if an episode isn't in the todo list that does not mean it won't get recorded. That's particularly true when episodes get "bumped" because of higher priority programs. The rescheduled recording often does not appear in the todo list but it will still record.

Try something. Set up a series link for recording, and don't look at the future episodes or todo list, just let the DVR operate. See if you miss any episodes that are not duplicates. I suspect everything will be OK.