20 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2014 3:52 PM by texasbrit RSS

HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote

xsport

I have noted this problem has existed with many people over recent years, but there also does not seem to be a consensus solution.  I have three units...the other two work as usual.  The unit that responds slowly most of the time is the unit with the DVR.  This is a recent development--the last month or so.  There can be a 30 second or so delay from using the remote for the action requested moving.  Sometimes changing channels is even a problem.  I called for help earlier today.  I quick test first failed, but I was told it might take awhile for the adjustment to work.  I tried again and the operation performed properly.  Then, later after I had hung up, of course, the same problem was still evident.  Is this an equipment problem or something else in the system that is being worked on?

• Re: HD receiver w/ DVR Often slow to respond to remote
    peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door.. 

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.

* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select

* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."

* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.

* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive. 

peds48

your hard drive is toast! 

Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.

gr8ful2u2

I found the solution and posted it somewhere on this site.

At least for me, the problem is I had recordings set up using the AAND, NNOT, etc. undocumented search keywords. Once I removed those, the problem went away.

I also encountered another post where someone determined which of the keywords no longer worked, but I didn't bookmark that page.

dcd

It's good to try to assist, but in this case the built in self test failures are definitive, the poster's hard drive is failing and replacement of the DVR is the proper corrective action.

Note that having complex search parameters set up will in fact slow the system down, so your suggestion is valid, just not in this particular case.

skeen719

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

skeen719

Having the same problem. Called and was told by the rather rude customer service representative that they are working on it. Not sure when it will be resolved. I'm going to wait a few more days (in week two of this problem). I might request a new receiver because I'm on the protection plan. Frustrating!

oldlady

I have been experiencing slow response/hang ups in my whole home Genie for about two weeks. Is the problem in my system or with DTV in general? I have done a reset and installed new batteries in the remote.

texasbrit

As I said, it's a know software bug. We think there's a fix for this that will be released nationally soon.....

raul1

The Solution for lag is new equipment.

It ain't the firmware, there will be no software fix.

It the Genie itself.

Call DTV and demand that they send you a service tech. with the new Genie the thinner smaller one that requires the new wand.

Together they are lighting fast work better and no lag ever.

This is a flaw in the equipment and no amount of tinkering by software engineers will fix it.

The  Customer service people ate told to tell us that they are working on it.

They aren't,  they aren't because they cant because there is no fix.

If you don't already have the service package you might think about ordering it first so you don't have to pay for the  new equipment.  But since the equipment they gave  you is defective  you have an argument for a free upgrade.

You can create a service necessity by going through some  service rigamorole  on the phone  ensuring that whatever you are trying to do won't work ( lie if you must)  and you need a service guy.

When he comes ask him for the new equipment.