6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2014 5:51 AM by peds48 RSS

Genie bug?

jamiedoherty

I am a new genie user and tonight I think I hit a bug but I don't know where to report it.

(For context, we have 4 TV's.)

Earlier today we had set a show to record at 7:00 PM and my kids tuned in live to the same show at 7:00 PM.  I was playing around with the recording options so I selected to record a movie around 8:00 PM to watch later.  Out of pure coincidence, my kids had also previously selected to record  a Disney show also on at 8:00 PM.  So I knowingly was recording 3 TV shows during this time.

Here is where I think I hit a bug (or just bad design).  While the other shows were recording, I started watching a sporting event, then enabled DoublePlay so I could switch back and forth between 2 games.  When I tried to toggle the second "tuner" to the second game it prompted me to take over another In Use tuner, which I think is a bug.  Here is what I thought should be in use:

1) The 7:00 PM show set for recording earlier in the day

2) The 8:00 PM movie I enabled

3) The other Disney show

4) The first sporting event

5) The second sporting event

But...what I found was the following:

1) The 7:00 PM show set for recording earlier in the day

2) Live TV which is tuned into the SAME SHOW as what is being recorded at 7:00 PM

3) The 8:00 PM movie I enabled

4) The other Disney show

5) The first sporting event

So what I learned is that if you previously setup a recording and then tune into that same show (rather than access it from "list"), Genie can't figure out to use the already in use tuner.  Seems pretty simple to me to be fixed though, so I am hoping to get someone's attention on it and deliver a fix.

Thanks!

• Re: Genie bug?
    peds48

each client gets its own tuner, regardless of programing.  There are reasons for this.  If the tuner that made the recording turns to the already in progress show, it will use its same tuner

jamiedoherty

I hear you, but that defeats the purpose of being able to setup the recording from any client.  I can't imagine it would be that difficult to do a quick check back at the server before tuning to a channel to see if another tuner is already locked into the same channel.  If they do that, they could even expand the capabilities of recording shows when multiple TV's are tuned into the same channel.

peds48

there is more to that when it comes to tuner allocation.

wooferz

How many clients do you have in the home all together? Sounds like there was no free tuners. Also if you know for sure all the tuners were not in use you can reset the genie server. In rare cases one of more of the tuners could become unresponsive, a reset would correct that. Like I said however, that is rare.