9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2014 12:17 PM by jw23 RSS

dvr replay blacks out

bigtom68

i have a genie w/ whole home dvr. if any recording is done whether it is clear outside or not hd or standard the screen will black out for 1-3 seconds multiple times during replay. does not do it during live tv. i will still have audio. it is starting to aggravate me. i have reset my box nad tried clearing everything out of dvr. it happens with all channels. so what can I do.

• Re: dvr replay blacks out
    bigtom68

model # hr34-700 for reciever

litzdog911

How is the HR34's Video OUT connected to your HDTV?  Or is it connected through an AV Surround Receiver?  How?

You say it only happens when playing back recordings.  What happens if, after you see the video blackout, you rewind the DVR slightly and replay that segment. Does it blackout in the same spot?   Even if you Pause the playback?

This could be a symptom of an HDMI handshake issue.  Or something as simple as a loose cable.

bigtom68

if i rewind it still blacks out. it is hdmi out to tv. I have checked all cables and replaced cable due to a few post on this forum. also if I fast forward it will also black out

litzdog911

Try using Component Video cables instead of HDMI as a test.  Does it still blackout?

bigtom68

it does not skip when using component cables in standard def

litzdog911

Not sure what you mean.  "Skip", or "Blackout"?   Also, Component Video cables (red, blue, green RCA cables) provided full HiDef, not just SD.   But if the problem is only happening with the HDMI connection, then you've likely got an HDMI handshake issue.  That can be tricky to solve.

bigtom68

ok black out ... I will be watching a program and the screen goes black and the hd setting appears in top right of screen then comes back on. it does it many times. I am on the component cables and it seems fine. it didn't do it when we first got the genie.

litzdog911

Yeah, that's a symptom of HDMI handshake issues.  The HD Setting on your TV is displayed when the video signal is lost or interrupted.  Some TVs do a better job of recovering from these handshake "glitches" quicker than others.  If Component Cables are working fine, then that's your easiest solution.  You'll still get HiDef video via Component Cables, although you'll need to also use separate audio cables.

But before giving up on HDMI, try one more thing.  In the Genie's HDTV/Video Setup Menu, disable "Native Resolution" and select only "1080i" in the Video Output Resolution boxes.  This way the Genie will always output the same 1080i video resolution regardless of the source channel's original resolution.  This might help your HDTV have an easier time dealing with these "glitches".

Why hasn't this always been a problem for you?   Hard to say.  Perhaps something changed with a recent Genie or HDTV software/firmware update.  

jw23

It's definitely a handshake issue. It only happens on a 1080p Samsung LED running through a Yamaha receiver with Genie. This does not happen much and it is a second. Maybe 1-2x per hour.

I get the black screen showing HD setting on another Samsung with no A/V on a standard DTV DVR when switching from an HD channel to SD, which I assume Litzdog suggestion might solve.

Never happens on my Panasonic Plasma which also runs through a Yamaha receiver. When I first moved here and got the Samsung Best Buy did the installation and subsequently confirmed a handshake info. Since I still get audio and it is so short I can live with it.