17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2014 12:39 PM by shannon01 RSS

Is the HR44 interactivity speed better than the HR34?

no_target

Please document your personal experiences with the HR44/HR34 here.  This should act as a point of reference that DTV customers can use to confront the DTV CSRs when trying to upgrade from the HR34 to the HR44.

My story:

I have just upgraded from the HR34-700 to an HR44-700 and it is tremendously faster - the menus pop up instantly now, where with the HR34 they were always delayed and when scrolling on the HR34, if a movie banner came up the menu would stutter and get slow (very annoying) on the HR44 it smoothly scrolls right through them.  From an interactivity standpoint, and in the words of a DTV supervisor, the HR44 is "night and day" faster than the HR34.

Another major improvement on the HR44 over the HR34 is the speed of FF/REW/PLAY/PAUSE - in the HR34, it would always be behind the interaction - when I hit FF then PLAY, it would hesitate and sometimes would lose it's place in the content.  These problems are completely absent on the HR44.

Bottom line: the HR44 is MUCH faster than the HR34 on everything but channel changes which are only slightly faster. As to whether it's worth the upgrade and what DTV say about it - that's a different story you can see profiled in the post on "DIRECTV whole home DVR service" -> "HR44 Genie is 300% faster than HR34, why does DTV deny it?"  DTV personnel are trained to say that the HR34 is the same speed as the HR44, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.  Also, if you are on the Equipment Protection Plan, DTV will not upgrade you from an HR34 to an HR44.  I was successful when a retention supervisor gave me a $290 account credit so that I could buy the HR44 on Amazon, but it was a tough fight.

• Re: Is the HR44 interactivity speed better than the HR34?
    litzdog911

Not sure what points you're trying to prove, no_target.  Of course the HR44 is faster than the HR34 because it uses newer and faster technology.   But you're not going change DirecTV's approach on how they position these two Genie DVRs no matter how many folks post back here that the HR44 is faster.   It's hardly a "conspiracy". They have an inventory of HR34's that they would rather deploy than scrap, but over time, the HR34 will fade away.  Then the next generation Genie will appear and trigger the same discussion/debate versus the HR44 Genie.   It's never ending.  

no_target

litzdog911 wrote:

Not sure what points you're trying to prove, no_target.  Of course the HR44 is faster than the HR34 because it uses newer and faster technology.   But you're not going change DirecTV's approach ...

I am more optimistic that we will change DTV's approach to this because their approach is so clearly abusing their loyal customers.  I think we need to bring this into the public eye and make them look at it, then it will become clear they need to change the way they are dealing with their customers.

On this topic - here is the official line from a DTV CSR - they claim to customers that the two units are identical, which is to deny reality:

Kirk S (ID U9311) (08/27/2014 06:08 AM)

Dear Mr. xyz_xyz,

My name is Kirk and I understand your concern about the difference between the HR34 and the HR44 Genie receivers.

While I certainly understand your perspective, I can assure you that the HR44 is not 300% faster than the HR34. Please understand that the two receivers are very similar in hardware aside from the inclusion of wireless with the HR44.

I can assure you that the HR34 is equally capable as the HR44 in speed and processing with very similar hardware specifications, although they may have different manufacture’s hardware. From what you described I am confident that the issues you were experiencing with your HR34 were failures of your receiver specifically and not related to the HR34’s design. It is likely that had you received another HR34, the problems you were experiencing would also have been resolved.

Again, the issues you were experiencing were limited to that receiver specifically and not a failure of hardware design. On rare occasion, when we do find a problem with software that cause issues in a specific model of receiver, we quickly address those software issues and release updates to correct those issues as quickly as possible. The issue you were experiencing with your HR34 was not one of these instances and was more likely a result of a failed receiver.

litzdog911

Yeah, I've seen your posts no_target.   I just think you're wasting time.  DirecTV seems quite happy with their business model that treats all HR2X as "functionally equivalent", and the HR34/44 Genies as "functionally equivalent".   You're posts here are not going to change that.  DirecTV employees barely participate here.  But feel free to post away.  

peds48

I agree with litzdoz as well, I would love to revisit this thread, or all others made by no_target when the HR54 comes out.

humbleliver

The HR44 has a faster processor and is much faster than the HR34.  They are full of it if they tell you otherwise. It's like comparing the HR20 to the HR24. They are not apples to apples.  I've seen and used nearly every model that they have and I can tell you nothing compares to the latest model of the HR44.

td-max

I've grown to hate my HR34 and plan to have it replaced one way or another.  It often stalls for as much as 10-15 seconds when trying to navigate the List, change channels, etc.

We're going to give DTV it one last shot before trying Dish.

It would be REALLY nice to be able to watch and record OTA programming like Dish has.

no_target

Use this forum to push them to get you an HR44 - it will fix the speed problem for sure.

WRT OTA - I have an AM21 tuner that plugs into the USB slot on the HR44 and it works fine.  I haven't tried to record content, but I get all the OTA content.

Based on experiences of other posters - to get an HR44 you will need to either:

- get a truck to roll to your house and convince the field guy to swap it for you

- threaten to leave DTV and get a CSR to put enough money to buy an HR44 from Amazon (about $290) into your account

peds48

you would need an AM21 regardless of the model of Genie to get OTA reception with DirecTV®

texasbrit

The HR34 vs HR44 discussion is pointless. As stated it is DirecTv policy NOT to give "upgrades" from the HR34 to the HR44. It does not matter if the HR44 is 100%, 200% or 300% faster. It's certainly NOT 300% faster, but it is faster. The responses you see from DirecTV are also pointless,  because they are definitely untrue. But telling DirecTv they are wrong, or coming up with arguments (even if they are true) is a waste of time.  The DirecTV systems handle a genie as a genie; if an HR44 shows up, or you can persuade a tech to give you one, congratulations. But a CSR can't do that.

longtimedtvcust

I've been a DTV customer since 2002. The HR34 is the worst piece of TV signalling receiving equipment I have ever experienced. The CSRs that I've spoken to all give you the run around about upgrading. Who is kidding who? They know they have a BIG Problem and have been told to "stretch it out" as long as possible. Well, I have a technician scheduled to show up tomorrow and he will have (?) my "upgrade" to a HR44 with him- supposedly. If he doesn't, he can take all my receivers with him and I'll go with another provider.

The HR-34 is a complete piece of garbage. DTV should replace them all. They have already told me that there is no known fix for the remote control delay problem. They are aware of it!

BTW, DTV provides a service that I'm paying for. They also own the receivers- just try keeping one. Regardless, the quality of their product should be at least adequate or they should fix the problem. It bothers me that I have to pay for a warranty on their equipment, and when it doesn't work, "we'll have to send a tech out." Just send a new receiver. I used to be a C-Band satellite tech and I think I can handle a cheesy DirecTV receiver. 

And the DTV FANBOYS are most likely DTV guys anyway. I would be a fan too if they provided a product that didn't frustrate the **** out of all of us.