23 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2014 2:57 PM by coachbulldog RSS

WatchESPN

sackmaster52

Why is it that almost every other television service provider offers Watchespn but directv does not?? The "world wide leader in sports" shouldn't be dropping the ball on offering this.  When I called to directv to see what could be done about the game I wanted to watch that was only carried on Time warner or ESPN3 I was told that they could sell me a college football package. I was like ok but other providers offer this for free, but I listened.  it was around $100 and it didn't carry the game I wanted anyways.  I am at directv for the sports channels but this is really making me reconsider my thinking, I want watch espn really badly am I am frustrated by this.  Even Dish Network gets it now!!! Really???  Why pay the money for a television service provider that is supposed to supply you with sports if you cant watch the games you want to watch? Directv please get this done so I can watch my games.

• Re: WatchESPN
    wstegemann

Totally get where you're coming from. It's a rights issue and it's being worked on. Hope to have news on this in the near future.

vaguy

wstegemann wrote back in late August:

Totally get where you're coming from. It's a rights issue and it's being worked on. Hope to have news on this in the near future.

How long can this possibly take?  How is it that 120 other rights distributors have negotiated this with ESPN but DirecTV has not?  DirecTV has in the past called itself the #1 sports provider.  Clearly not.  I don't think the argument that ESPN doesn't negotiate mid-contract holds water.  But just in case it does/did,  I wrote directly to DirecTV back on 9/15/14  and specifically asked when their agreement with ESPN was due to be renegotiated.  Of course their reply was "unable to comment".   I'd really be torked at this point for it not for my cable provider (Cox) allowing ESPN3 to stream to at least my PCs.  But of course nothing to cell phones, tablets, or Roku devices, even while they're operating in my residence. 

Does anybody have a clue when this will be settled one way or another?

scorpious

I have been inquiring for about two years now regarding Watch ESPN. Just recently inquired about the Fox Sports App too. Would have been nice to watch MLB playoffs for NL. At least I watched AL playoffs on TBS. More than rights issue... Someone mentioned it won't be discussed until next contract. My contract with DirecTV runs out in February 2015. My cable company provides this option. I am seriously considering the switch. I somehow don't think all of the other providers waited until contract renewal time. Changes to contracts are made all of the time...why not now? if that's the case.

peds48

As has been stated multiple times complete with links to proof of it, Disney will NOT provide access to the Watch apps outside of the renewal of the contract. Prior to 2010 ESPN3 was an ISP only product called ESPN 360, last time DirecTV renewed their contract that didn't even exist. Most ISPs made deals for ESPN 360 and later ESPN3, but for whatever reason Time Warner and their lapdog Bright House along with Optimum restrict it to those with TV subscriptions. Maybe you should be asking Time Warner why are they blocking you from accessing ESPN3, something internet only subscribers of providers like Comcast, Verizon, Cox and Charter have no problem accessing.

http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/207378-watch-espn/page-6

jlharper59

Wouldn't the whole "renegotiate" argument have lost validity when they negotiated for the SEC Network?  It was an ADD without renegotiation.

My thoughts are that DirecTV is not overly interested in paying much of anything for it, as it is no value to them - allows you to watch content without using their hardware.

I have been a subscriber for YEARS, but this kind of thing frustrates me with them.  DISH is getting a leg up on them more and more with this kind of thing - but I'll go back to cable before I go DISH.

rbclinke

I agree completely.   The drop down menu for "Select Provider" has like 120 networks listed.....but no DIRECTV. Are you kidding me???????

Dear DirecTV,

Get your act together.

Sincerely,

Your Disappointed Customer

peds48

Why not call and complain to Disney which is the one holding things up????

rbclinke

Dear Mr. Banks,

Please let us use WatchESPN on our iPads!

-----

Or....here's a better idea:

How about Directv call Disney and tell them to stop holding things up? After all, it is their job and we are the customer.

peds48

rbclinke wrote:

Or....here's a better idea:

How about Directv call Disney and tell them to stop holding things up? After all, it is their job and we are the customer.

DirecTV® have tried, Disney is not allowing until the contract s  renewed.  Disney had never allow the EW apps mid contract to any MVPD

lappa

every provider goes through negotiations, to think changing providers will help that is funny.

jt782

I think that Directv is providing satellite service to us at a substantial cost, so why is it our place to contact Disney?

r8tmo

Another US Open Tennis Championship!  And as much as Direct TV touts their multiple court feature, now as we get into the second week,  the multiple court features expire and the bigger networks control what feeds are broadcast.  So now major 4th round and QFs and probably SFs are going to take place simultaneously and they are going to say,  go to ESPN3 for the action.   I've been with Century Link as ISP for years.  I have requested repeatedly that they provide ESPN streaming media.  At one time they said they hoped to get a contract, but that was 3 years ago.  This last time they said it was a problem with ESPN.  I'm seeking a response from Direct to find out which ISPs in the Portland area will bundle that can provide me with ESPN 3.  I now have Smart TV and would REALLY like to take advantage of the technology and have gotten tired of getting dismissed.  I've been loyal and patient for so long and have expressed willingness to pay extra for access to the streaming media.  The lack of movement on this issue makes me wonder is this just a problem for myself and about seven other people who appear on this post?   Because if that's the case Century Link, Direct TV, and whoever powers that be will not miss our $ at the end of the month when we figure out a way to drop them.

lappa

Only Time Warner and RCN internet customers get ESPN 3, so go ahead, change to any other company, and expect to be let down if you only have TV/internet for ESPN 3. 

scorpious

Actually there are more. I have Charter Communications and they have ESPN3.com. I have watched several games already. Charter also has WatchESPN, therefore changing providers would help me out with what I want to do.

DirecTV is a great company...but my last discussion they were trying to push me towards Genie, which I do not want to do. ESPN and DirecTV just need to work it out soon.

chaz585

We've been with Directv for 1.5 years so far. At 3 months I find out they don't have Pac12 channel, because they cannot negotiate an agreement. Just last week I tried to use WatchESPN and find again Directv can not solve negotiation issues. Now I'm watching Walking Dead and in the middle of the show AMC rolls an announcement that their contract is in jeopardy due to stalls in negotiations. If there had only been one negotiation issue I wouldn't be so concerned, but the problems are stacking up. for my watching purposes, Directv programming is becoming seriously compromised. I will be considering other options when our contract is up.

lappa

AMC's contract still has over 6 months, they just have a record breaking show that is giving them leverage to ask for more money from consumers for their programming.  If you think changing providers will get you away from contract negotiations, you are wrong.  SuddenLink is without Viacom programming right now, and DISH is currently without Turner channels (TNT, TBS, TMC, TruTV, etc).  Negotiations happen with every company, if you fall into the broadcaster issue and change companies over a negotiation, you will lose in the end, because the other company will come into negotiations as well.

sam.slee@att.net

You make the comment that "if you fall into the broadcaster issue and change companies over a negotiation, you will lose in the end."  All I can say is this, I was with AT&T uVerse for six years.  I switched to Direct TV because they had the NFL Sunday Ticket.  I assumed I would still get all the other stuff that made me happy at uVerse.  I was WRONG.  You know the saying, the grass is always greener...Before switching, I got all the things you folks are asking about, including Watch ESPN. Now all i can do is hope that one day....  Believe me, after my CONTRACT is up I'll be leaving DTV faster than you can say "seeya!!!!!!!!!!!"

coachbulldog

I have been a Directv customer for more than 12 years but, as they continue to fall behind the competition, it is becoming harder it is to remain loyal. When my friends and neighbors who have Comcast or Dish can stream many times more channels on their devices than Directv, access major apps like FOXSportsGo and WatchESPN, and have thousands more on-demand choices, it is hard to see any advantage, other than a very expensive Sunday Ticket package, in staying with Directv. Like many Americans, my television viewing has changed and I watch a lot of programs and sports events on my phone and tablet. Directv is the worst provider in my area for that. I don't care why Directv can't get a deal done to support apps like FOXSportsGo and WatchESPN or why they have minimal out-of-home streaming and on demand options. All I know and care is Directv does not offer this support or services. As much as I would like to continue with Directv, my loyalty ends when I'm expected to be content with an inferior product. Hopefully Directv is able to step it up before my agreement with them expires in May or I will be looking elsewhere for my television provider. If it comes to that, hopefully the grass is greener on that side of the fence. 

robzilla

Other providers are catching up to DirecTV in the sports department. They better hurry and make a move. Not having Dodger Baseball is making me considering leaving after having them since 1998. NFL Sunday Ticket is great, but football itself is becoming soft, and with good reason, with all the concussion reports and other injuries. May not be as popular in a few years, if rule changes keep doing what they are doing to the current game, not to mention the players run ins with the law. Bottom line to me is it makes no sense to pay what I'm paying if I'm not getting the programming I want, others do provide it.

coachbulldog

It is has been reported and discussed for a long time now the earliest Directv customers would be able to access all of the channels on WatchESPN (along with WatchABC, WatchABC Family, Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD) on mobile and streaming devices would be when Directv and Disney negotiated a new agreement. Does anyone have a clue if these negotiations are taking place?

jt782

I would like to get that answer too. I thought the Disney Contract ran out the last of this month. You would think somebody at Directv could at least say when the contract expires. I'm really frustrated over the lack of having WatchESPN and SECN+ networks. I have already missed several SEC basketball games that were on SECN+. This kind of reminds me of the different SEC sporting events that we missed out on when CSS was still in existence.

iublaw

Here are all the providers that allow you to watch ESPN on your mobile but DirecTV does not.  I've been a subscriber for about 15 years and I can't tell you how much it bums me out to miss so many games because I have DirecTV and not one of these providers:

3 Rivers Communications

Access Montana

AcenTek

Acme Communications

Algona Municipal Utilities

All West Communications

Alliance Communications

ALLO Communications

Alpine Communications

American Broadband

Arkwest Communications

Armstrong

Arvig

Ashland Home Net

Astound

AT&T U-verse

ATC Broadband

ATC Communications

Atlantic Broadband

Baldwin Telecom, Inc.

Ballard TV

Bardstown Cable TV

Bay Country Communications

Phone: 410-901-2224

Bay Creek Communications

Beaver Valley Cable

BEK TV

BELD

Blue Ridge Communications

Brandenburg Telephone Co.

Bright House Networks

Bristol Tennessee Essential Services

Broadstripe

BTC Communications

Butler-Bremer Communications

C Spire

Cable Services Inc.

Cable TV of East Alabama

Cable TV of Stanton

CableAmerica

Cam-Tel Company

Cameron Communications

Canby Telcom

CapRock Tv

Carnegie Cable

CAS Cable

CASSCOMM

CC Communications

CDE Lightband

Cedar Falls Utilities

Celect-Bloomer Telephone Area

Celect-Bruce Telephone Area

Celect-Citizens Connected Area

Celect-Elmwood Spring Valley Area

Celect-West WI Telephone Area

CentraCom

CenturyLink Prism

Charter

Chatmoss Cablevision

Chesapeake Bay Communications

Chippewa Valley Cable

Cim-Tel Cable, LLC.

Citizens Cablevision - Floyd, VA

Citizens Cablevision, Inc.

Citizens Telecom

Citizens Telephone Corporation

CityLink

Clarence Telephone and Cedar Communications

CLICK1.NET

Clinton Cable Inc.

CML Telephone Cooperative Association

CNS

Co-Mo Connect

Coaxial Cable TV

Colo Telephone Company

Columbia Power & Water Systems

Columbus Telephone

Comcast XFINITY

ComLink

Community Communications Company

Comporium

Consolidated

Consolidated Communications

Conway Corporation

Cox

Crestview Cable Communications

Cross TV

Crosslake Communications

CTC - Brainerd MN

Cunningham Telephone & Cable

Dakota Central Telecommunications

Delta Telephone Company

Direct Communications Cable

DISH

Duo County Telecom

Eagle Communications

East Arkansas Cable TV

EATEL Video, LLC

Emery Telcom Video LLC

Endeavor Communications

Enhanced Telecommunications Corporation

EnTouch

EPB Fiber Optics

EPB Smarnet

EPlus Broadband

Etex Communications

Falcon Broadband

Fayetteville Public Utilities

Fidelity Communications

Flint River Communications

Frankfort Plant Board

Franklin Telephone Company

FTC

GBT Communications, Inc.

GCI

Giant Communications

Glasgow Electric Plant Board

Glenwood Telecommunications LLC.

GLW Broadband

Golden West Cablevision

Google Fiber

Grande Communications

Great Plains Communications

Harlan Municipal Utilities

Hart Communications, Inc.

Hawaiian Telcom

Heart of Iowa Communications Cooperative

Hickory Telephone Company

Highland Communication Services

Hinton CATV Co.

HomeTel Entertainment, Inc.

Hood Canal Communications

Hope - Prescott Cable TV

Horizon Cable TV, Inc.

HTC Communications, Inc. - IA

Huxley Communications

ImOn Communications

Inland Networks

Innovative Cable TV St Croix

Innovative Cable TV St Thomas-St John

Inside Connect Cable

Interstate Telecommunications Coop

Kalida Telephone Company, Inc.

Kalona Cooperative Telephone Company

KMTelecom

KPU Telecommunications

Kuhn Communications Inc.

LangCo

Laurel Highland Total Communications

Limestone Cable / Bracken Cable

Litestream

LocalTel Communications

Longview - Kilgore Cable TV

Lost Nation-Elwood Telephone Co.

Lumos Networks

Madison Communications

Madison County Cable Inc.

Marne & Elk Horn Telephone Company

McClure Telephone Company

MCTV

Mediacom

Merrimac Communications Ltd.

MetroNet

MHTC

Mid-Hudson Cable

Mid-Rivers Communications

Midcontinent Communications

Midstate Communications

Milford Communications

Morris Broadband

MTA Communications, LLC

MTC Technologies

MTCC

MTCO Communications

Mulberry Telephone Company

MUS FiberNET

Muscatine Power and Water

myEVTV.com

Nebraska Central Telecom, Inc.

Nelson Telephone Cooperative

Nemont Communications Inc

NewWave Communications

NICP

NineStar Connect

NKTelco

Nortex Communications

North Central Telephone Cooperative

Northland Communications

Northwest Communications

Norwood Light Broadband

Nsight Telservices

NU-Telecom

Nulink

OneSource Communications

Opelika Power Services

Optilink

Optimum

OTEC Communication Company

Park Region Telephone & Otter Tail Telcom

Paul Bunyan Communications

Pembroke Telephone Company

Peoples Rural Telephone Cooperative

Phonoscope Cable

Pine Bluff Cable TV

Pinpoint Communications

Pioneer Communications

Pioneer DTV

Pottawatomie Telephone Co.

Premier Communications

PSC

PTCI

Rainier Connect

Ralls Technologies

RCN

Red River Rural Telephone Association

Reedsburg Utility Commission

Reliance Connects

Reserve Telecommunications

Resort TV Cable

River Valley Telecommunications Coop

RMA Broadband & Cable TV

Rock Port Cablevision

RTC Communication Corp

SCI Broadband-Savage Communications Inc.

Scottsboro Electric Power Board

SELCO

Service Electric Cablevision

Service One Cable TV dba Clear Choice

Shentel

Sherwood Mutual Telephone Association, Inc.

Silver Star Communications

Sjoberg's Inc.

SkyBest TV

Smithville

Solarus

South Central Rural Telephone Cooperative

South Holt Cablevision

South Slope Cooperative Communications

Spencer Municipal Utilities

Phone: 712-580-5800

SRT Communications, Inc.

Suddenlink

Sumner Cable TV

Surry TV PCSI TV

Sweetwater Cable Television Co

Tahlequah Cable TV

TCT West, Inc.

Tele-Media Company

The Community Agency

Time Warner Cable

Tri County Communications Cooperative

Troy Cablevision, Inc.

TruVista

TSC

Tullahoma Utilities Board

TVision

Twin Valley

***** Telephone Company

US Sonet

USA Communications

USA Communications/Shellsburg, IA

Valley Telecommunications

Valparaiso Broadband

Venture Communications Cooperative, Inc.

Verizon FiOS

Vernon Communications

Vicksburg Video

Vision Communications

Volcano Vision, Inc.

Vyve Broadband

Wabash Mutual Telephone Company

Waitsfield Cable

Walnut Communications

Wave Broadband

West Carolina Communications

West Central Telephone Association

West River Cooperative Telephone Company

Western Iowa Networks

Whidbey Telecom

White County Cable TV

Wilson Communications

Windstream

Winnebago Cooperative Telecom Association

WOW!

WTC

WTC Communications, Inc

Yadtel Telecom

Zito Media

coachbulldog

I appreciate you posting this list. It makes the situation even more disheartening when I look at the list of all the providers that do support the WatchESPN app. I've read all the reasons why Directv doesn't support WatchESPN but that doesn't change the fact that Directv is the only major provider that does not support the WatchDisney family of apps that includes WatchESPN and millions of Directv customers are unable to watch programming on what is a popular service.