5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2007 7:41 PM by texasbrit RSS

HR20 Signal Strengths

gsanta
I have owned the HR20 for a little over a year now but only received HD local channels until the day before yesterday, when I subscribed to HD Access.  Yesterday evening I noticed I am receiving some pixeling on ESPN HD and TNT HD, the only 2 new channels I looked at.  Is there a chart somewhere that would map channels to their corresponding satellites and transponders so I can see if I have a signal strength issue and need to fine tune.  I know when my dish was installed it was only installed with a meter, which I am reading is not sufficient for the new narrow-beam signals.  Thanks for the help.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • Re: HR20 Signal Strengths
    dcd
    One of the other folks will have to give you the link for any list that exists, but I can comment on signal strengths having gone through two realignments and now getting strong signals on all satellites.  All relevant transponders (those not marked N/A) should provide a minimum of high 80's, preferably 90's.  The 101, 110. 119 provide most SD channels, and the original HD channels.  The 99b and the 103a provide HD locals and are all spot beams.  You should get at least one transponder on one of those for your HD locals.  The 103b provides all of the new HD channels and is the one you've been reading so much about having to be realigned.  One caveat, there are I think 6 spot beams on the 101, and 4 on the 119, so if you are getting strong signals on most transponders, and an occasional zero, that's to be expected.  If you find you have marginal signals, you can map all of the numbers and post them back here and one of the Tech guys will analyze them for you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      gsanta
      So far it seems like my picture quality problems are only on the HD channels that have available the longest (ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD).  Also, is the satellite/transponder the same or different for channels available on 2 numbers (ie ESPN HD on 72 and 206)?  I've found some DirecTV transponder channel maps online, but none up to date so far.

Here's the signal strength map from my system this morning.

94 95 94 95 91 98 94 97
      93 95 95 99 94 98 92 98
      91  0 93 98 92 98 95 98
      92 72 92 91 91 98 88 98

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA 53
      NA 58 NA 58 NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA 96 47 96
      92 97 93 96 81 97 95 98

99(b)

25 65 77 80 80  0 NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

103(a)

92  0 87 47 86 38 NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      0 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

103(b)

95 92 91 86 94 92 88 88
      94 92 88 91 94 95 NA NA
      92 NA NA NA NA 96 NA NA
      NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
        texasbrit
        Your signals on 110 are VERY low, and also I believe your HD locals are on 99(b) and you should be getting at least one 90+ transponder on 99(b). The channels you are having problems with are on 110. Getting low signals on 110 with good signals on 101/119/93(b) is very unusual. Is there any possibility that there is tree growth in the direction of the 110 satellite?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          installhelper
          I saw this exact problem at a house today. I hunted and hunted because it is unusual. It turned out the tilt was off by 2 degrees. Dont know if this will help you out, I'm sure there are other things that could cause this.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
          texasbrit
          I should have said "Getting low signals on 110 with good signals on 101/119/103(b) is very unusual."