15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2007 4:31 PM by texasbrit RSS

Problem with HR20-100S

imrfox7576
I am having an issue with my hd-dvr. when i tune to different channels it takes sometimes up to one minute to tune in to that   particular broadcast. also, i cannot do dvr functions on it as well (i.e. pause, rewind, record etc). can this be an issue with the graphics card? i also heard that dtv is recalling these receivers, if so the one that came in as a replacement is the same type so i assume i can expect this one to fail as well.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • Re: Problem with HR20-100S
    texasbrit
    No, DTV is not recalling HR20-100s, there is no general problem with them. I have one.
    First thing to try is a reset. Go through the menu to reset and then do a restart receiver.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
      greywolf
      The recall is on the HR20-700 and it's not because of a problem. The HR20-700 has stopped production now that the HR21 is out and the -700s are being stockpiled as replacements for any failures of HR20-700s in the field.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        imrfox7576
        We heard that they were recalling all 100 S series because of software issues.                                                                                                                                                                                   
          texasbrit
          No. And if it was software you would not need a recall, just develop a new release and then download it to all the HR20-100s.
          It sounds like you just have a bad box, in which case the new one you received should not have the same problem. Post back and tell us how that one performs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            sjames42
            The problem as it was explained to me( roughly 50% of the units do not work..I went through 6 units and I still don't have one that works correctly) is that DTV rushed to to market with new recievers that were not beta tested and not based on the tried and true Tivo units (I have a tivo hd unit that is a dream to use vs the hr20).  As a result, DTV has attempted to solve their problem by continually releasing new software versions for the hr20 which then results in other problems for specific units.  Untill DTV bites the bullit and release a totally new reciever we are stuck......The old Tivo units won't pick up the new hd programming.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
              texasbrit
              There are many of us with multiple HR20s (and HR21s) who don't have any significant problems. Most people who go through multiple units have problems in their installations and replacing the boxes does not help. What problems are you having?
              The HR20/21 software release program has not only been aimed at fixing issues but also at new features. There is virtually no chance that DirecTV will release in the foreseeable future a totally new receiver.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                sjames42
                I am having the same problems almost everyone else experiences..............

1. It takes up to, at least the last time I timed it, up to 72 seconds for the receiver to change channels.  If the the pause, record, rewind buttons are used the reciever usually locks up and has to be cold booted.  The receiver is junk in my experience.  On the other hand my ancient HD tivo unit works like a champ.....its too bad it can't receive the new HD programming.  I am at my wits end and may have to change over to cable...its a last resort but until there is a reliable sat hd reciever I may have no other choice.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
              • Re: FYI
                sjames42
                I forgot to mention I just got another HR20 today and the service technician said this is a new redesigned model as in his eperience 80 to 90% of the units had serious issues.  The new reciever is the HR21-900B                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                  texasbrit
                  I think it is an HR21-700B. This is like the HR20 but does not have an OTA tuner.
                  Please post back if you have any issues at all with the HR21.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                    sjames42
                    Is there any way to speed up the channel change times?  It takes anywhere from 3 to 12 seconds for the receiver to change channels.  I am used to the HD TIVO unit that changed channels instantaneously.

Also any way to program the remote so that the DVR does not go off when I turn the TV off?  The TIVO remote has a TV only on and off.

Thanks in advance.

FYI The house is wired with rg-11 and fiber optic cable.  Obviously we are using the rg-11 for the sat.  In addition, we use Monster Automatic Voltage Stabilizer AVS 2000 Pro and Uninterruptible Power Supply HT UPS 1000.  So I don’t think it’s a signal or grounding problem.  Further, the HD TIVO unit is working flawlessly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                imrfox7576
                texasbrit i totally agree with that assessment. if your dtv system is not properly grounded if all fittings are not changed and you are not running rg-6 cable on your hd system then you can expect to have some issues.
                some techs take the high road on service calls/installs/upgrades and don't check these things.
                the issue i was having has currently been resolved as i swapped out the previous receiver after the power failed on it. i've gone through all the tricks i know to try and resolve it before bringing in the new one. i haven't, so far, had any issues.

thanks for listening and sharing your advice.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                  sjames42
                  Is there any way to speed up the channel change times?  It takes anywhere from 3 to 12 seconds for the receiver to change channels.  I am used to the HD TIVO unit that changed channels instantaneously.

Also any way to program the remote so that the DVR does not go off when I turn the TV off?  The TIVO remote has a TV only on and off.

Thanks in advance.

FYI The house is wired with rg-11 and fiber optic cable.  Obviously we are using the rg-11 for the sat.  In addition, we use Monster Automatic Voltage Stabilizer AVS 2000 Pro and Uninterruptible Power Supply HT UPS 1000.  So I don’t think it’s a signal or grounding problem.  Further, the HD TIVO unit is working flawlessly.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                    imrfox7576
                    Not sure what to say about the receiver. We run into these things alot in the field. We just swap them out if we can't figure it out. Mine did what yours seems to be dong and finally the power supply died out. Could be a bad receiver. There may be away to reformat the hard drive, i'll leave that one up to texasbrit.
                    as for the remote, you can slide the mode switch to tv to turn off and press the off button to turn your television off.be sure to move the switch back into the dtv to tune channels when watching tv.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                    texasbrit
                    Do you have native "on" with an HDMI connection to the TV? Some TVs handle the HDMI handshake between the receiver and the TV very slowly. Try switching native to "off" and see if that changes the channel change time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
      imrfox7576
      I have gone through the reset (pressing the red button) I have even gone through reset all through the setup. I even forced the download. I even formatted the hard drive (holding the down button and the record, is this correct?). none of this seemed to work. i recently tried to turn it on and it wouldn't even boot-up.