13 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2012 11:21 PM by litzdog911 RSS

DVR not recording a program

jclookey
I have tried this 2 different ways... first of all it is a recording at 9pm on thursdays... up until last week there wasn't another recording set at that time... but even not withstanding that there were only 2 on a dual channel dvr...

My DVR refuses to record Supernatural ... I've even tried setting a manual record...

thoughts??? My only thought as I'm into the realm of the illogical at this point is that my house is haunted and the spectre doesn't want me to see how to kill it LOL.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • Re: DVR not recording a program
    carl6
    What model DVR?

Are there any entries in History that say what happened?

When you set the manual recording, what happened?

What channel is that on?

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
      jclookey
      D15 directv dvr, channel is the CW... history just says "not recorded" nothing about priority or skipped or cancelled... just "not recorded"... manual recording also says "not recorded" so i'm dumbfounded                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        mariojr
        Perhaps I can chime in...

I have an HR20 that has been flawlessly recording for over a year (and I work that thing like a dog!!!)  I've only had an issue once.  It happened _after_ a software download and started recording "House" and "Law & Order" on the East coast feeds.  Unfortunately, I live in Los Angeles, and couldn't view what it had recorded "searching for authorized content..."  DirecTV was aware of this glitch and fixed it.

And, just like last time (after a new software download) NOW I am experiencing another recording problem which sounds lot like yours.  My experience involves trying to record "Law & Order: CI".  In the past week I have seen the "R" (for record) in the grid.  But, after the show should have recorded, I find it did not.  Furthermore, in the "History" menu it says "This episode was canceled because another matching program was scheduled to record. (10) ".  But, there was NOTHING else set to record.

It appears this is another software download glitch.  Perhaps if enough people experience it DTV will patch it.

Hope that helps.  At least you know you are not alone :-)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          carl6
          DirecTV has been doing a lot of work on the guide data and how it is used.  In addition, sometimes guide data changes from the source which can effect recordings.

Sometimes, following a software update, there is enough of a change that the DVR does not recognize an existing series link as such, and fails to record it.  Sometimes, the guide data has been changed by the source vendor before it gets to DirecTV, which also can cause the DVR to no longer recognize the same program as the series you set to record.

The solution in either case, is to delete, then re-establish, your series link.  To do this, go into the prioritizer, highlight the show, and delete the entry from the prioritizer.  Then go back into your guide, find the next showing, and select it again to be a series link.

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
            jclookey
            ummm considering i did a friggen manual record and the guide data wouldn't have anything to do with guide data... please if you are going to respond read and consider everything before responding... also i work as an engineer... if the **** DVR was functioning properly then this wouldn't happen... however since I've done it both by show name... and by a manual record I can safely say that either the DVR hardware... or more likely the shotty software that runs it isn't functioning properly

Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
              carl6
              jclookey,

Sorry if I missed the manual part.  These are user to user forums.  Everyone here is a volunteer. No one is a DirecTV employee, we are customers and users just like you. Sometimes trying to understand what people are saying is like mind reading. Your an engineer, great. I have multiple graduate degrees and have managed many an engineer. That doesn't make either one of us better or worse, just different.

Please don't misunderstand my efforts here. I am not trying to justify DirecTV's work or software, I'm trying to offer suggestions to users who have questions. In a great many cases, we can help someone overcome a problem and get their tv service working for them.  If we can't, then the customer needs to go to DirecTV for resolution.  It sounds like you have reached the point in your efforts where that is the next step.

Good luck on getting your problem resolved. I sincerely hope you are able to get the service you expect and are paying for.

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                mistersix
                Well add my name to the list of people experiencing this bug.
                My HR20 works great, except that all of a sudden some episodes that are part of a "series record" (and have been recorded in the past) show up on the guide as the red circle with an X in it.  No other conflicting program is being recorded, and it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the channel or program.

A thought I had was that it might be contention with two programs that are being recorded immediately before this one on other channels.  If this extends into the start time for the failed program by even a minute I bet it will never go back to resume record a new program on a different channel.  In other words, the "event" to start recording a new program on a different channel would occur while two previous channels where still recording with something like a minute of overlap.  You would like to think that it would queue up the program to be recorded and start it as soon as the either of the other two programs terminated, but I bet it doesnt!

I will have to devise a test and see if that is the case.

Oh BTW I am an embedded software engineer ("yes", I make devices like the HR20 DVR) and have managed large Engineering departments, but I see no reason why someone would yell at others on this forum, get a life jclookey!

What we need is a "sticky post" that is a summary of the outstanding issues with the DVR firmware, that way we could shame the developers into doing something about the issues...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                  mariojr
                  Hi cgates!

The solution I've found for this problem is rather inconvenient.  But, it did work for me...

Go into your "prioritizer" and delete the program in question.  Then punch the red button for a system reboot.  Then, go back to the grid and re-add the show in question. 

This has worked for me in the past. 

Hope it helps you!

-J                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                    mistersix
                    Hmmmm... interesting idea... so what your saying is that the latest firmware upgrade wasnt too happy with the formatting of the list of scheduled programs, and somethings got corrupted... 
                    I will give it a try, thanks!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                      mistersix
                      I have news on this bug...

Before trying MarioJr's suggestion (which I will get around to in a couple of days), I wanted to investigate my idea about proximity of recording other programs, and sure enough there is some relationship here.

Basically what is going on is that if two programs are being recorded on two separate channels and one on them ends at say the top of the hour and a switch to a new channel to start record a third program is also scheduled for the top of the hour, it may not do this! 

And it flags the third (now unrecorded) program with that **** red X in a circle on the guide.  This seems to have nothing to do with the channels involved, or when it occurs, (except for relative timing of course).
                      So apparently timing precision or queuing of recording events is the issue here.  Also this does not exclude MarioJr's idea that may play a factor in this as well (could be the old version and the new version handle the start times slightly differently).

So basically this is the scenario you want to avoid:

Channel| Time………………V…………………………………………
                      A         | Program X-------
                      B         | Program Y----------------- 
                      C         |                      Program Z-----

In this case Program Z may or may not get recorded.  It doesn’t always seem to screw up in all cases, but of the ones that do, this is always the scenario.  Could be a slight time overlap at the transition point "V"??  Without the source code it is impossible to be sure.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                  carl6
                  Cgates,

With regard to a sticky post, please check the various DirecTV forums at www.dbstalk.com where a lot of information, including problems, is tracked, and DirecTV engineering does monitor.  That is probably the most effective means of directing information to them.

I would also suggest you post the structure and results of your various tests over there. You are welcome to post here as well. If the post is something that is generally of interest/value to other people seeking help or information, here is perfect. If the post is more technical in nature, with the intent of feeding information back to the developers, dbstalk.com is the better choice.

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    d1rectv
    Having a similar problem with scheduling recordings, but a lot more recent, and from the ipad app only. The show i set to record using the ipad (and was confirmed on ipad) didnt record. Today i look for the recording on the STB hard rive and it says "scheduled to record" but the time of the show has passed and it didnt record. Anyone else have this experience?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by d1rectv  
    Having a similar problem with scheduling recordings, but a lot more recent, and from the ipad app only. The show i set to record using the ipad (and was confirmed on ipad) didnt record. Today i look for the recording on the STB hard rive and it says "scheduled to record" but the time of the show has passed and it didnt record. Anyone else have this experience?

Wow, you've dredged up a very old thread.  Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.