11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2008 3:18 PM by daverhp RSS

Channel to Satellite/Transponder Guide

daverhp
I occasionally get a (Searching for signal error 771) on several of my DirecTV HD channels. I would like to see if this is weather related etc. by checking that specific satellite/transponder signal strength.
How can I equate the DirecTV channel that I want to the satellite/transponder it is on ?  I can?t seem to find any document on this. I also subscribe to premium channels and I want to make sure that I am receiving the satellites that I am supposed to. Thanks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • Re: Channel to Satellite/Transponder Guide
    andy26
    Did this issue just start happening for you?  I am experiencing the same issues in Kansas City, but it only started Sunday morning (2/17).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
      daverhp
      I really havn't paid that much attention to the the times. I did notice it Saturday and yesterday (Sunday). We have had some bad weather come through. I just reset my receiver and it seems to be working OK. I will keep watching it I am currently watching a movie on ch 512 MAXHD and it lost signal for a few seconds. I really want to to the correct satellite/trasponder and check the signal strength.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    carl6
    For the new HD, satellite 99b and 103a (aka 103s) carry local channels, and satellite 103b (aka 103c) carries the remaining national HD channels.  You should see at least one transponder on either 99b or 103a that has a high signal, and all of the active transponders on 103b should have high signals (high means roughly 85 or above).

I'm not aware of any specific channel/transponder listing for the new HD satellites, and DirecTV has been doing a lot of adjusting also, so they are not staying in the same place all the time.

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
      dcd
      Dave,  As Carl says, the 103b(or c) carries all of the new HD programing.  A well aligned dish will display more or less equal signals on all transponders, so it doesn't matter which one the channel you are interested in is on so far as testing purposes is concerned.  By the way, when you get a temporary loss of signal due to bad weather, the best thing to do is watch a DVD, a previously recorded program or read a book until the weather clears.  I'm reading posts from folks that do everything from resets, like yourself, to ones who actually move their dish.  Nothing will restore a weather lost signal, and it will return on it's own, no action required.  If you reset, and it can't find a signal, it may lock up your system so you can't use your DVR, if you have one.  A well aligned dish is much more weather loss resistant than a marginally aligned one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    chrvach1
    You are not alone.  I, and several others here, have the same problem.

I bet that you have 0 signal on even transponders on the 101 sat.

I started having this and a variety of other problems starting with a software update on 2/7.  Made numerous calls to tech support.  Went through all the user problem solving steps over and over again.

CSR's acknowledge it's Directv's problem and keep telling me problem(s) are escalated to "command center".

So far no resolution.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
      carl6
      chrvach1,

If you have zero readings on all even transponders, the problem is somewhere in your installation (dish, cabling, receiver).  There is no "DirecTV problem" that would cause that to happen that would not effect every single one of their 16 million customers, and if that were happening you would know it.

There are many things you can check yourself, if you are so inclined, including all connections, inspect coax for damage, swapping some cables and/or receivers around, etc.  If you are not able or willing to do those types of checks, you need to get an installer/tech out to work your problem.

Carl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
        chrvach1
        Carl,

As I said in this and previous posts,  I have already done all the user problem solving, both alone, and with multiple CSR's...including transponder checks.  I have executed all these steps over and over again with no positive result.

Note this is one of several problems I have. 

Can't tune off-air HD channels, message 750.
        Receiver makes attempted and failed software download at random times during the day. Receiver locked for an hour until it times out.
        No longer receive several subscribed channels.

CSR's keep telling me they have escalated the problems.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
          dcd
          Your posts have all related to off air reception problems, totally unrelated to the original posters question.                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            daverhp
            Carl and DCD,
            thanks for the Satellite info. This is helpful. I came ome from work today and checked the Signal Strength on all of the Satellites/Xponders. Most of the SS reported are above 95.
            Then a few hours later I noticed that I could not receive several of my HD Movie Channels. I went back and looked at the 103(C) and saw the odd xponders are reading "0". It looks like an LNB or outside connector issue that could be weather related.
            I see the exact same thing on two different TV's/Receivers in the house so I know that it is not receiver related. I did call DirecTV Service and they were very helpful. I now know that the 103C satellite provides a number of my HD channels. Luckily I am still within my warranty period for someone to come out.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
              bamfan
              i believe it is the receiver, HR21-700, as i have been having these HD problems with the signals.  all cables have been rolled, bbc's replaced, reset's, etc.... by myself and by the local dtv reps.  during the times that i experience the loss of signals, my other two receivers work!!!!  this problem has been on-going since getting the new receiver!!!!