13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2009 3:51 PM by texasbrit RSS

722 Authorization Expired

tvhawaii
My friend was doing some remodeling, had his H20/HR22 unplugged for awhile, and is getting 722 errors even after having the CSR re-hit the receivers.
He is getting high 80s and 90s for signal strength on 101 except for transponders 2, 4,10, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28 which are 0.
I compared mine and I get 0s only on 4, 12, 18, 20, 26 and 28.
This is using the DTVAHKAKU LNB for Hawaii and I think he will need to get the SWM to get around the problem since both receivers work fine at my place.

My question is, which transponder (s) carry the authorization stream data?

--Michael                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • Re: 722 Authorization Expired
    tlarseth
    Might be an issue with the cable if he remodeled, might have accedentially shorted out a cable or the such.  I would run a straight cable from the switch/ground block to the receiver if possible, just to resend the authorization, if that fixed the problem then it sounds like the cable was bad, another thing is that the dish might need re dithered if it had been either moved or possibly bumped in the remodeling.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
      tech4533
      I agree that a hot drop straight from the lnb to the ird would be a quick solution to determine a faulty cable. Is this problem affecting both receivers?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
        tvhawaii
        New temp. cable has same results...0 signal strength on transponder 2, 10, and 0/50 signal on xpndr. 6.  Both receivers work fine at my place.

This problem started about the same time the NFL Ticket HD channels were added and I'm sure it's related to the "Hawaii" problem with the interaction of the 99/101/103 LNB and the BBCs.  I'm going to install a SWM, but I would still like to know if the "Authorization" signal is transmitted on a unique transponder and if so, which one.

Thanks for the suggestions,

--Michael                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
          tech4533
          The only other time I have encountered this had to do with ground noise. As soon as I removed the ground wire all transponders came up. Not sure which transponder is for authorization though. If you find out please share with us.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
            tvhawaii
            Ahh, ground loop...good catch and thanks.
            Lightning is very rare here, I've only seen it twice in 25 years, so grounding is...how do I say this...inconsistent.<s>
            I'm thinking the lack of responses from a 'TechKnow Guide' regarding the authorization stream might mean that info. will have to be gleaned from some hacker site.<sigh>

texasbrit
              I don't know where the authorization stream is (except it's somewhere on 101) but will try to find out...                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                tvhawaii
                Thanks...it's  much appreciated.
                I'm betting it's on one of those that's bad at my friend's place, i.e.:
                2, 6, 10, 30 and 32.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
                • f you Re: 722 Authorization Expired
                  40_oz
                  If you have a 6X8 multiswitch and are missing half the transponders, that means one of the 4 lines in from the KAKU ODU is bad.  Usually when I see this there is a corroded or bad fitting on the exterior leading into the switch.  Could be your LNB, but honestly cable/fitting failure is much, much more common.

If there is no switch in line, and there are no bad fittings/breaks in the cable, then you have a bad LNB.  Pretty simple nfix either way.  A SWM is not going to fix anything if you have a bad cable/connector.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                  • f you Re: 722 Authorization Expired
                    texasbrit
                    40_oz: If it were a cable/connector problem you would be missing all the odds or all the evens, not just some of them. And there are special problems with the signals in Hawaii that require the use of SWM switches (the SWM5 and SWM8 stand-alone multiswitches, not the SWM dish) with the large dishes there. If you have never done an install in Hawaii you would not be aware of those issues.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                      tvhawaii
                      40_oz: Thanks for your suggestions, but as texasbrit says, the problem we have out here is the interaction between the LNB we use
                      (picture of it here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1430993#post1430993 4 output switch is built-in) and the BBC/receiver.
                      I had my friend take out the BBC, and now his sigs on 2, 6, 10, 30 and 32 are in the 80-90s instead of 0 (101deg).
                      I should have thought of that before I had him lug the receivers all the way down to my place to get "Authorized".<sigh>
                      I'm getting error 920 sporadically, and I have three xpndrs that fluctuate between the 50s and 60s, 2, 23, and 31, so I'll bet the guide info is on one of those.

But I'd -still- like to know where the Authorization stream data lives. Probably could have found out from some hacker site, but it looks like they're gone now.<g>
                      http://hackhu.com/links.php
                        tech4533
                        Just wondering if you use the 119 out there. Here in California we use this sat for our guide info on all HD applications. As I type this though I seem to remember that you guys and Alaska use the 1.2m odu so I just answered my own question.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                          tvhawaii
                          >>Just wondering if you use the 119 out there.<<

We used to...a separate 1.2m reflector with the 110 and 119 LNBs wired to the inputs on the 99/101/103 DTVAHKAKU LNB/Switch. As the new Ka birds were brought on-line and the HD programming migrated to MPEG-4, it became a case of 'no-need' as the locals say here.
                            texasbrit
                            Yes, Hawaii and Alaska were always two-dish solutions but now only one is needed, a special 1.2m dish that receives 99/101/103.