19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2011 2:05 AM by tvhawaii RSS

Error Code list

drnate
Is there a list of the error codes ? I'm a service tech and seem to be getting more and more "X" 's during installation of a replacement receiver. For instance, recently I was getting an X on only the 101, evens, tuner 1, with a signal of 95. The job was a single HDDVR with a slim5, very professionally done.

If I goto "Get waiver" It gives a code. I'm assuming this code can help us define what the real issue is. This information has NOT made it out to the techs and can greatly improve our "hunt & guess" time to see what the problem is.

I assumed that just repeatedly hitting the "test again" wasn't going to make the problem go away. Worse, each time I hit it the "X" moved positions. Changing the LNB and hot dropping continued the "X" bouncing from sat/even/odd/tuner. eventually.. it just passed and went on. I left. Instead of knowing what the real problem was and fixing it... I got lucky and left.

Also,

The verification has been giving a fault when a SL3 LNB is on the job instead of a SL5 LNB. I was only replacing a box(service call). It seemed silly to change a good LNB while at a job just to change dead IRD. While waiting on hold for Installation Support I decided to, in the rain, change the LNB. The work took less time.

I'll suggest if there are the need for so many "waivers" lets get some more phone handlers. I'm hourly and not cheap nor are the parts I change. I'd never reuse a part on another job. You never know what intermittent issues they could have had previously. (known or unknown by the customer.)

--Nate

• Error Code list
    redneck_tech
    I heard the other day that they are having issues with D12-500s, and an error code of 0400 on one of these will get you an instant waiver.  Haven't had a chance to try it, yet.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    • Re: Error Code list
      lowessnipe
      you'll get a waiver after going through an hour of troubleshooting on the phone with ISS.They wont just give you the waiver.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
        drnate
        I don't want a waiver. I want to know what's wrong with the system. Obviously the computer is finding an error. It only seems logical to tell me what the error is. The more tools we have to do our job the better we can do it.

The only time I need a waiver is a single line DVR when replacing a bad IRD.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
          lowessnipe
          the d12's 500 will fail on the 101 18v even when sig strength 96 or higher.too much signal like we have with the HR and R22's.so no matter how good you do your job its gonna fail.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
            drnate
            Still no response from a D guru ? I'm not looking for what the problem "could" be . It's my job to do this all day. Some "tech" on the other end of an ISS line has this info.

I SHOULD TOO!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
              litzdog911
              Here are the codes I know about ....

System diagnostics
              10, 11 - Receiver Error Detected; requires replacement.
              12 - Bad network tuner, needs replacement.
              13 - Access card issue; call Customer Support.
              14,15 - hard drive diagnostic failure at bootup. Surface scan will attempt to solve problems.
              40 - Satellite tuner 2 issue.
              41, 42 - Guide data feed test failure.  Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations. Signal issue that requires service call.
              43, 44 - Failures with the Installation Verification tests.  May indicate a possible distribution problem (a problem outside of the STB). Possbile alignment issue that may require service call, but consult with CS.
              45, 46 - Guide data issue - service call.  45 is for > 24 hours, 46 is for > 1 hour.
              70, 71 - Box is networked but no Internet detected.
              72, 73, 76 - No phone line detected.
              74 - For installation verification, dish alignment test not ran.
              75 - External hard drive error at bootup. Surface scan will attempt to solve problems.  Disconnect external drive and try booting from internal drive.
              82 - Box set to SL-5 dish but a SL-3 is present.  This often causes Guide Data update issues.
              83 - Box set to SL-3 dish but a SL-5 is  present.
                peds48
                very good info. thanx for sharing this litzdog!                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                drnate
                litzdog911,

Thank you tons! This seems like a good list for me to get to my service techs.

--Nate                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
                  jo23rd45an
                  great list! is that the list when you run the system test and get the failure codes? Thats not the waiver number list correct because those are usually 4 numbers ie:0004 ? regardless that list will help service techs and all techs without a doubt                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
                    litzdog911
                    Right, error codes, not waiver codes.  Typically these codes look like 14-020, or something like that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                
                      drnate
                      yeah I think I noticed the same thing.

This list is when you run the system test ?

When I call ISS for a waiver they ask for the "waiver code." This code tells the ISS agent on the phone what is going on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                        litzdog911
                        Right.  It's the System Test Codes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
                          mcmiller519
                          Hey just the otherday had a onebox install for a standard at an aprartment ran all new line andguess what it failed switched lines on ground block still failed so went outto the truck grabed my old trusty premade swm jumper put it on and it passed go figure                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                            drnate
                            What was the "waiver" error code ?                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
        redneck_tech
        "you'll get a waiver after going through an hour of troubleshooting on the phone with ISS.They wont just give you the waiver." 

Got one today.  They asked for error code, 0004, asked if it was a swm, yes.  Got waiver.  I did my customer education while I was on hold waiting for the waiver, so not much time was lost.  I still would not be angry if I never saw another blasted red x                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    kidd_84

The error codes simply tell you which satellites are failing. It's the same information as your red X's.

tvhawaii
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Here are the codes I know about ....

Many thanks for that!

Unfortunately, I'm getting error code 76.
    http://www.satinstalltraining.com/support.html has

The System Test Diagnostic Code Overviewis a 6-page document created by STB Engineering that explains specific troubleshooting steps that need to be taken for each type of diagnostic code.  Maybe someone with a User Name/Password to that site can get the document posted here?  Or maybe we can get a UserName/Pwd to use there?

litzdog911

Updated codes ...

System diagnostics

10 - Receiver Error Detected; requires replacement.  RID-related error.

11 - Receiver Error Detected; requires replacement.  Can't access tuner hardware.  Receiver may hang at "Step 1 of 2" during boot up.

12 - Bad network tuner, needs replacement.  This tuner is DC blocked and slaved to the primary tuner and is used for Guide Data.  If the primary tuner shows good signal strength with this error present, the box should be replaced.

13 - Access card issue.  Check to see that card is inserted coorectly and rerun test.  This is often associated with a 761/762 on-screen error.  Usually caused by incorrectly inserted card, faulty card reader or faulty Access Card. Reposition the card and swap between boxes to isolate the cause.  Note that brown discoloration of the card's top does no indicate a failed or about-to-fail card.

14 - Internal storage error detected.  This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.  Reboot the box.  Replace if problem continues.

15 - Internal storage error detected.  Indicates drive is accessible but does not pass integrity tests.  Replace the box.

16 - MRV failure (HR24/H24 only).  Failure of internal WHDVR hardware.  Replace the box.

21 - Internal storage error detected.  This may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.  Reboot the box.  Replace if problem continues.

40 - Satellite tuner 2 issue.  Non-SWM fails basic +13/+18V LNB test for signal.  Could be dish alignment or signal distribution problem. 

41 - Guide date feed test failure, SWM only. Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations. Signal issue that requires service call.  Verify all satellite signal readings in signal meter screens.  Verify cables/connectors from dish to box.

42 - Guide date feed test failure, non-SWM only. Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations. Signal issue that requires service call.  Verify all satellite signal readings in signal meter screens.  Verify BBC modules, cables/connectors from dish to box.

43 - Failures with the Installation Verification tests. Signal readings too low.  May indicate a possible distribution problem (a problem outside of the STB). Possbile alignment issue that may require service call, but consult with CS.

44 - Tuner 2 connection problem. Receiver incorrectly configured or incorrectly connected to Tuner 2. If non-SWM LNB, verify that two coax cables are connected to each DVR tuner.  If not present, repeat Satellite Setup for single tuner.

45 - Guide data not received for > 12 hours. Related to 920 errors and "to be announced" in Guide.  Can also be associated with error 82/83 issues. Box will track this lack of guide data updates and generate a code 46 after an hour and reboot after 12 hours, forcing guide data reacquisition and displaying the 45 error.  Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations. Signal issue that requires service call.  Verify all satellite signal readings in signal meter screens.  Verify BBC modules, cables/connectors from dish to box.

46 - Guide data not received for > 1 hour. Related to 920 errors and "to be announced" in Guide.  Can also be associated with error 82/83 issues. Box will track this lack of guide data updates and generate a code 46 after an hour and reboot after 12 hours, forcing guide data reacquisition and displaying the 45 error.  Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations. Signal issue that requires service call.  Verify all satellite signal readings in signal meter screens.  Verify BBC modules, cables/connectors from dish to box.

47 - WHDVR network distribution problem (Hx24 only).  Reported when network bandwidth doesn't meet specifications, pointing to a likely cable, splitter or fitting problem.  The text of this error message should direct you to which receiver(s) have the worst signals in the networking.  If the problem location is connected with DECA, it will be listed as "ROUTER-00:0B:XX:XX:XX:XX" where the "00:0B:XXXXXX" is the MAC address listed on the DECA's green label.  Check those for loose/bad connectors. Verify that all hardware have Green labels.

48 - WHDVR network interference/distribution problem.  Similar to error 47, but usually suggests that off-air or CATV signals are dipexed in the 475-625MHz DECA range.

49 - No SWM channels available.  Too many tuners connected to SWM.  Expand SWM capacity (e.g SWM16), or configure DVRs for single tuner.

50 - Only 1 SWM channel available (for HD DVRs). Associated with 771B on screen error.  Too many tuners connected to SWM.  Expand SWM capacity (e.g SWM16), or configure DVRs for single tuner.

51 - SWM not detected (power supply or SWM LNB failure).  Associated with 771A on screen error.  Look for faulty power inserter, or PI on switched AC outlet, or anything in the coax line that attenuates the 2.3MHz control channel (non SWM splitters, long cable runs, accidental B-Band Converter). 

70 - Cannot detect home network. Receiver configured for networking, but network not detected.  Check network cables and test again.  Communication problem between Receiver and home network/router.  Try restoring Network Defaults under Network Setup and test again.

71 - Home network detected, but can't access internet.  May be due to receiver not obtaining DNS entry during DHCP negotiation with your home network. Try restoring Network Defaults under Network Setup and test again.

72 - No phone line detected. Receiver connected to internet, but no dial tone is detected.  Check for poor phone line connector and that phone line is plugged into correct jack.  Test phone line with a spare non-powered phone.  Access hidden menu using the MENU and RIGHT ARROW buttons to run the modem test.  Should only affect on-screen Caller ID since PPV purchases are reported via internet connection.

73 - Receiver was previously configured for a network, but the internet and dial tone are not detected.  A 70 or 71 error will also be present.  Check for poor phone line connector and that phone line is plugged into correct jack.  Test phone line with a spare non-powered phone.  Access hidden menu using the MENU and RIGHT ARROW buttons to run the modem test.  Should only affect on-screen Caller ID since PPV purchases are reported via internet connection.

74 - For installation verification, dish alignment test not run.  Resent authorizations and retest.

75 - External hard drive error at bootup. Surface scan will attempt to solve problems.  Disconnect external drive and try booting from internal drive. Replacing receivers won't solve this issue; it's usually due to a failed external drive.

76 - No phone line detected, and receiver not connected to internet.  Check for poor phone line connector and that phone line is plugged into correct jack.  Test phone line with a spare non-powered phone.  Access hidden menu using the MENU and RIGHT ARROW buttons to run the modem test.  Should only affect on-screen Caller ID since PPV purchases are reported via internet connection.

79 - WHDVR network connection drops during past 5 days.  Check for loose/bad connectors that may be causing intermittent problems with the signal.  Verify that all hardware have Green labels. 

82 - Box set to SL-5 dish but a SL-3 is present.  This often causes Guide Data update issues and error 920. 

83 - Box set to SL-3 dish but a SL-5 is  present.

tvhawaii

Cool man...that is much appreciated!