29 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2011 1:06 PM by irishntn RSS

WIFI BB Deca?

danieldv6
Somebody knows something about this. How works?                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • Re: WIFI BB Deca?
    peds48

yeap.  A DECA BB with a wireless bridge attached to it.

litzdog911

Personally I think it's a bad idea.  Wireless Networking setup and configuration is a royal pain.   I predict that installers, and customers, will be very frustrated. 

pressureman0

HOPE THE GET BOTH

MY PHONE3 PICK UP WIFI NO WIFI HERE MAYBE NEXT DOORS GET IT  (YUP)   HAHAHA IT COUNT AS CALL BACK

pressureman0

HOPE THEY GET BOTH

MY CELL PHONE PICK UP WIFI MAYBE NEXT DOOR HAS WIFI   HAHA COUNT AS A CALL BACK

irishntn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by pressureman0 

HOPE THEY GET BOTH

MY CELL PHONE PICK UP WIFI MAYBE NEXT DOOR HAS WIFI   HAHA COUNT AS A CALL BACK

It will only count if the Next door neighbor's WIFI isn't encrypted, and it you plan on using your phones WIFI for it then you might as well plan on leaving your phone with the customer. Responders that count are the ones done 2 to 5 hours after the installation is done and W/O closed. HA HA HA HA just bit the bullet man.

z28green
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48 

yeap.  A DECA BB with a wireless bridge attached to it.

how do u attach the wireless bridge to the deca bb

nlosreversal

just run the line

macpointman

I am waiting for the next iteration of DVRs from DirecTV.  the newer televisions and Blue Ray players are coming with WIFI.  Why not our new DVR.  Heck why not add a few gigs of memory to the H25 so that CINEMAplus can be utilized there as well.  DIrecTV is already on the cutting edge.  I cant tell you how much Dish I have taken out in the past several weeks and customers are amazed at just the fact that we provide HDMI cables.

DirecTV may be going with a 45% phone line quota soon.  WIFI would HELP Greatly.

MacPointMan

techtx90

We are, as of the first of next month, going to 45% on phone line

awblackmon

WiFi on Directv receivers would be great!  Still though I did two installs today that had NO internet yet.  First one won't have it installed until next week.  The second one sneaks onto unsecured neighbors wireless with her laptop.  I am finding that movers arrange TV first, then internet connected later.  Sure doesn't help me one bit, but it is what it is so to speak.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by awblackmon 

WiFi on Directv receivers would be great!  Still though I did two installs today that had NO internet yet.  First one won't have it installed until next week.  The second one sneaks onto unsecured neighbors wireless with her laptop.  I am finding that movers arrange TV first, then internet connected later.  Sure doesn't help me one bit, but it is what it is so to speak.

Don't kid yourself.  Configuring DVRs/Receivers to work with home wireless networks will be a nightmare. The vast majority of folks have no clue how their home networking works.

torquetuning

I was advised today that the wifi Deca will not work as a wifi deca and will only be availible to customers with non swim install im now fully confused Undecided

joewesson

that is not correct... In my training room I have two demos set up with working WiFi BB decas, one attached via eithernet port on a traditional KAKU slime line install and One on a SWiM install and both work perfectly fine on the offices codes wireless network. I am currently requesting info as to wether the WiFi deca will ping off of a mobile hotspot.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by joewesson 

that is not correct... 

actually turquetunnng is spot on.  the CCK-W will only made available to upgrade customers who do not have a SWM system.  I am going by the latest video by ray edwards.  the CCK would still be used on new installs and WHDVR upgrades.  is not that is does not work, much more like how is going to be use.  in my opinion these CCK-W will share the same "fort knox type vault"  as the SWM16 mutiswitches.  where you have to bring your house deed to get one of them

torquetuning

I know I read the manual a while back i know what the manual says,

The idea with this device is that it replaces the wifi linksys and the wired deca  and is also a wifi deca as well, The problem is from what I heard the training doesn't cover it as it does this. Only that it is to be used as a wifi linksys adapter replacement. Maybe the people who I have talked to are getting the wrong training :)  ?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by torquetuning 

I know I read the manual a while back i know what the manual says,

The idea with this device is that it replaces the wifi linksys and the wired deca  and is also a wifi deca as well, The problem is from what I heard the training doesn't cover it as it does this. Only that it is to be used as a wifi linksys adapter replacement. Maybe the people who I have talked to are getting the wrong training :)  ?

exactly.  from what I gather from the video is that this is going to replace the linksys.  and now is going to be supported by DTV in the way that is going to be install by the technicians.  the CCK-W does have a coax port to be used in a WHDVR install, but that use will be very limited at least at time of launch of the CCK-W.  I say this based on experience.  since when something that makes the job easier gets more security than the gold vault at fort knox.  anybody remembers SWM LNB's?

irishntn
    Just think of all those service calls to come where the CSR's do a drop ship and the customer is like "HUH". Just wait they say the are not going to do that and let the installer bring it, but look at all the threads where they are asking "How to get the BB Deca installed that they shipped me".
    techtx90

Not true.  It is a pretty easy set up as long asd the customer knows their WEP code and/or password.  The part that stinks is that you need one for each receiver as these only work with non-swm applications.  All of our installs are swim so these will only be used on upgrades for the most part.

techtx90

Not true. You can connect the BB Deca, go into network settings and hit connect then after yu have verified all receivers have shown a connection you can disconnect the BB and the receivers still show as responders.  You can check this on your handheld for those of you that go HA HA HA HA.  After activating all receivers go into the receiver list on your hand held and scroll over.  There is a heading that says last call back.  It will show the date and time and if sone correctly it will show within a half an hour of connection.  HA HA

techtx90

This is true.  It is for non-swim only. 

dielray

Information can be found @

http://satinstalltraining.com/private/materials/DCCK-W_Training.zip

Page 32 - 33 of the PDF basically states the following:

Legacy System gets WFi DECA.

SWM install with no available ports on router or router inaccessible gets WiFi DECA.

Customer who insists on WiFi DECA gets dropped shipped one and does it without a tech.

hivemessiah

and...for those of us in the south...with customers that  ABSOLUTLEY REFUSE TO READ INSTRUCTIONS.......this helps us how?

I'm having a hard time with a cckw getting into a SSID with the Network key. Everything goes along fine until the receiver asks for the Network key and then it goes into verifying and kicks back with a  " Key  Not accepted, Please enter a valid Key."

I tried moving it closer to  router for a better signal it didn't help.  I could get  into the customers WIFI with my android with the Key he gave me and snap right in no problem.

Swapped out the cckw and same issue occured.  Went through the current TECK tip on CCKW  and had the key set up in the routers firmware by the ISP tech to the customers phone # ( which has worked in the past for me).  No limit on the amount of divices as long as band width is available.  Other WIFI adaptors (Adroide And Apple computer ) were able to get right in. After many hours of working on this I gave up and removed the cckw.  I couldn't use a BBDECA as the was no way to get a coax to their router.:(

west99999tech

what kind of router was it?

jpmilleman
    Was there any special characters in the ssid                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    torquetuning

I found the 5 digit wep keys don't work with the cckw is this  your problem??

This was a Siemens Gigaset Se567 business class dsl WIFI  Modem/router.

The Orginial Network key was a Hexadecimal  5cfa2214ad,  I still remenber it  3 days latter after trying it so many times.

I went into the routers firmware and changed it to the customers  10 digit Phone number with the help of the ISP  Tech support.

and it  uses wep  

So if the 5 digit wep keys don't work what do you do torqe?

irishntn

If the customers password is only 5 digits then the customer will have to change there password to a bigger phrase, ex phone # including area code, mailing address, or something that they will remember. I think the issue you are having is like they posted a couple of post up. The SSID shouldn't have anything in it but numbers and letters, NO SYMBOLS. If this is the case that will cause the CCKW to kick back like it is doing even with the correct phrase password. So If the SSID is something like "Joe's Wireless" it need to be changed to "Joes Wireless".