13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2013 11:30 AM by kimsim RSS

Whole Home DVR Not Working

blasttyrant

I discovered last night that my Whole Home DVR function is not working.  I receive a message that no networked dvr's can be found.

The function had been working upon installation approximately 2 1/2 weeks ago.  When my installation had occurred I did not have internet installed in my new place yet.

My internet was installed this past weekend and I hooked up my HD-DVR to my router via an ethernet cable to activate the Directv Cinema function.

Could this action be causing the Whole Home function to fail?  It's the only change I've made to the system.

My equipment is:  HD DVR - HR24-500

HD Receiver - H24-200

Thanks

• Re: Whole Home DVR Not Working
    peds48
    Quote: 
    Originally Posted by blasttyrant 

Could this action be causing the Whole Home function to fail?  It's the only change I've made to the system.

Thanks

absolutely.  you need to call DTV and request that they come back to install the CinemaPlus connection kit.  you cannot connect an ethernet cable to the HR24.  as you have discovered by doing this you disable the built in DECA on the HR24, thus disabling WHDVR.  this kit should be free as it was supposed to be installed to begin with.

blasttyrant

Thanks.  I had actually called DTV after my installation as to why the tech did not provide me with the connection kit.  They responded by saying that I don't need the kit and I could just install as I had described.  I guess not....

djdicetn

You may have a problem getting the CinemaPlus Internet Connection Kit free since you did not have Internet service when the DirecTV installation was done:0(

blasttyrant
    Quote:    Originally Posted by djdicetn 

You may have a problem getting the CinemaPlus Internet Connection Kit free since you did not have Internet service when the DirecTV installation was done:0(

Luckily, they're doing it for free.  Appt. has been set.

Thanks for the responses.

kimsim

this same thing happened to me so they came back out to install that kit. whole home worked fine for a short period of time. now almost 10-11 months later, whole home dvr does not work about 90% of the time. i am so beyond frustrated. i have called and called - every time i am on the phone troubleshooting at least 1 hour, running upstairs/downstairs constantly to try this or that....with 2 small kids in tow. i am over it. after 1 hour of troubleshooting over the phone doesn't work, they always tell me i can schedule someone to come out and that will be a 49.99 svc call?!! i'm like seriously??!! i had all this supposedly professionally installed...it has basically never worked. why should i pay? so, i am now combing thru these forums to see if anyone has had similar issues w/not working after getting the kit installed?

dcd

Note that the individual who posted originally created his own problem by connecting an Ethernet cable to the port on the HR24.  That is an absolute no-no on Whole Home systems.  If you have a HR24 and have connected a Ethernet cable to it, take it off and your Whole Home will be restored.

In the event you do not fit these criteria, follow the admonishment by Peds48 to start a fresh post and we may be able to help you out.

peds48

good for you.  keep us posted....

djdicetn

blasttyrant,

Thats great!!!! We love to hear success stories. And I'd be willing to bet that when you called them you didn't rant and "demand" they do this or that. My experience with DirecTV's CSR's is that if you are nice and pleasant with them they tend to be nice and pleasant back. Many users that frequent these forums just don't understand that concept.

blasttyrant
    Quote:    Originally Posted by djdicetn 

blasttyrant,

Thats great!!!! We love to hear success stories. And I'd be willing to bet that when you called them you didn't rant and "demand" they do this or that. My experience with DirecTV's CSR's is that if you are nice and pleasant with them they tend to be nice and pleasant back. Many users that frequent these forums just don't understand that concept.

All I did was explain the situation and asked what could be done to remedy it.  And I didn't huff and puff when I was asked to be put on hold.  It was "sure, no problem, thanks."

That said, it did take me 5 calls of navigating through the automated system to get to an actual human being to help me.

peds48

@kimsim you are responding to a two year old thread.  Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.