16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 20, 2011 4:53 PM by prayerefire RSS

SWM 16 for MDU installation

moses07

I have an installation that may require 2 SWM 16's. My question is can I have one dish for both SWM 16's? Also do I need an extra amplifiers? It may be a long run so their will be some signal loss.

• Re: SWM 16 for MDU installation
    peds48

yes one dish may be used with two SWM16's.  you can either use power pass splitters or use the SWM16's pass thru to feed the second switch.  how long is the run?

moses07

The run is about 300ft. Do I need an amplifier to boost the singnal? How many DVR's can fit on a SWM 16?

peds48

I dont think 300 feet is a problem, as long as you  use RG6 solid copper conductor, but RG11 would be a lot better. so no amplifier may be needed. as far as how many DVR's you can "fit" , 4 DVR's in each of the outputs of the SWM16

prayerefire

According to my training materials:

o

No cascading allowed from main SWiM 16 legacy ports to a

secondary SWiM 16 module

Or is my information out of date?

peds48

it might not be allow, but it works fine.  also the op may use (4) 2-way both ports power passing splitters if he/she wants to.

texasbrit

Yes, it works fine. I am surprised this was in the training materials, because cascading was one of the main reasons the four legacy ports were included. Was this official DirecTv training materials or from another source?

peds48

if my memory doesn't trick me, I recall this being said by Ray Edwards on one of the training videos

billthesat

Cascading won't work correctly - Legacy ports do NOT provide access to the HD satellies but you can use a Port Expander - only problem is it effectively quadruples the run between the dish and the expander and causes lots of problems over 25 ft runs. You might be better off using basic power passing splitters rated high enough but 300 ft runs are starting to get into the problematic range

moses07

For one thing cascading works fine no matter what, it says it right on the SWM 16 module that the legacy ports are used for old equipment and to cascade other multiswitches.

The best way to have 2 SWM 16 modules working on one dish is you use 4x 2-way splitters that split the incoming Satalite lines to the 2 SWM 16 modules. It works just fine. For long runs you may need an amplifier to boost the signal that is lost when splitting the Satalite lines.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by billthesat 

Cascading won't work correctly - Legacy ports do NOT provide access to the HD satellies but you can use a Port Expander - only problem is it effectively quadruples the run between the dish and the expander and causes lots of problems over 25 ft runs.

not true. the legacy ports on a SWM16 do pass the 103 and 99 sats unlike the SWM8.  there is nothing wrong with cascading two SWM16's together.  and a "SWM expander" does not "quadruple the run"  a SWM expander is the same thing as (6) 2 way power passing splitters put together.

texasbrit

As peds48 says, the legacy ports on the SWM16 absolutely DO pass the HD signals. You are confusing it with the SWM8, which only has two legacy ports and does not pass the HD signals. And he is exactly right about the SWM expander. It's just six splitters in a single package.

litzdog911

Yep.  It works.  My system is setup with a SWM8 connected to a SWM16's Legacy Outputs.  Works fine.  

prayerefire

My source for the information is Connected Home Participant Guide, ver. 1.0, dated February 2010, p. 39.   I have actually never had a chance to use the swm 16, let alone cascade it.  The one time I needed one, our warehouse did not have any and I ended up installing two dishes on the customer's house to get them going.

peds48

but just because it might not be "allow" it does not mean that it does not work.  which is the point of this thread

texasbrit

prayerefire - if you needed an SWM16 and could not get one, why did you not use two SWM8s, that is the recommended alternative? Two dishes is an overkill...

prayerefire

I agree 100 percent that 2 dishes is overkill and rather ridiculous.  We had no power passing splitters either (never have seen those in our warehoouse) and no swm expander.  So I did what I had to do to get the job done. The customer at first wanted me to go to his old house and retrieve his 4x16 switch.  When I explained that by putting up two dishes I could avoid havibg to run two cables to the dvrs, he was more than happy to go that route.   I work for a contractor and it seems it is always an issue having everything we need in the warehouse.