6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 9:12 AM by dcd RSS

Power Inserter Installation on SWM

mrcute512

First time in here.  Just wanna clarify about how you guys install SWMs.

My recent Sup requires me to run 2 lines to the receiver (using SWM) when you want to install the power inserter just next to the receiver: one line to Power Inserter and one line to the receiver.  Isn't it ridiculous?  SWM is designed so that we would only use one wire for DVR's.

How do you guys install power inserters? 

• Re: Power Inserter Installation on SWM
    murphyw

Directv approved way is to run the IRD off of the Power Inserter. However on some installs I've had to run a BB DECA, PI, and IRD all off one wall plate. In that case I've put a 4 way splitter off of a 3 foot jumper from the wall plate. As long as you aren't coming off an 8way splitter your signal loss should be fine. As always check your signal at the ird and make sure the signal is good enough.

roberte

Sounds like your sup is one of those that got promoted for who they know, not what they know.

irishntn
    If installing more then one receiver and WHDVR is on the Order then I would use a 2way SWM splitter and connect the PI to the red port and the IRD to the yellow port. That way you are still only using the single cable run to that location, but your power supply is not feeding the signal through it so it wouldn't interfer with DVR or Internet drop outs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    dvcamoua
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mrcute512 

First time in here.  Just wanna clarify about how you guys install SWMs.

My recent Sup requires me to run 2 lines to the receiver (using SWM) when you want to install the power inserter just next to the receiver: one line to Power Inserter and one line to the receiver.  Isn't it ridiculous?  SWM is designed so that we would only use one wire for DVR's.

How do you guys install power inserters? 

time for u to get a new sup.....sat to wall plate to power inserter to reciver....

redneck_tech
    DirecTV actually recommends you don't feed signal through the PI. It's never made a difference to me before, but I still sometimes do it. You can still run 1 line to a receiver, and use a 2-way splitter: one to the rec., one to the PI. If you do pass signal thru your PI, it is recommended to place it behind a standard receiver (if there us one on the account). Of course, I usually just look for the outlet location that has the mOst free electrical outlets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    dcd

I'm with the OP's supv.  We see quite a few posts of lost packets etc that are corrected by the fix.  This was clipped from a HD DVR Troubleshooting Tips published several months ago.