17 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2011 12:04 PM by peds48 RSS

Cinema Connection Kit disrupts wireless internet

cdavis226

I'm hoping someone out there can help me trouble shoot this problem. I installed the Cinema Connection Kit, but ever since I did, I have to restart my wireless router several times a day because my other devices periodically can't connect.

Here's my deal:

I've got the Whole Home service.

My receiver/dvr is an HR24/500.

My setup is a such, as far as I can tell:

The cable comes in from the satellite and splits, one goes upstairs and the other downstairs. The one downstairs to a SWM module, which is connected to the HR24. Side question: Is the SWM module what creates the closed network through the cable line in order for the whole home service to work?

So, I've read all over the place that in order to connect to the internet, while having whole home service, you must install the Cinema Connection Kit (DCCK). I'm looking at the DCCK User Manual (http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/WiFi_Deca/Connection_Kit_User_Manual.pdf), and I've chosen the install method for Receiver Models H24 or HR24, “DIRECTV® Whole-Home DVR Service Compatible Connection” on page 15. 

Basically, I unscrew the cable from the HR24, screw it into the DCCK, then use the extra cable provided to come back out of the DCCK and back into the HR24. 

The DCCK is like a wireless adapter and picks up my wireless network. I go through some screens on the TV and bam everything is set up. The DCCK does in fact work, but like I said, it seems to disrupt my wireless router multiple times per day.

1. Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Am I setting things up correctly?

3. Is there an alternative way to set things up?

I appreciate any help!

• Re: Cinema Connection Kit disrupts wireless internet
    cdavis226

I should add that my wireless network is NOT wireless-N, but I'm still on wireless-G. Also, the router and the DCCK are only a few inches from each other.

fragile

If your DCCK and your router are only a few inches from each other, I wonder why you didn't get the wired version of the connection kit as you clearly don't need the wireless version. This would eliminate any possible disruption to your wireless network by the DCCK.

I have read about wireless devices being too close to each other and overwhelming each other. If you decide to keep your wireless DCCK, try and move it at least a few feet away from the router.

cdavis226

Well I would have, but I don't see that as an option anywhere. I never saw a wired version available, only the wireless version. And, everything I've read says that since I have the whole home service, I cannot simply plug the ethernet from the receiver into the router.

Is there such a thing as a wired DCCK? If so, can you link to the directv page?

peds48

here is the link.  is the first item on the list.  it must be done professionally by DTV.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2993

cdavis226

ah, well if that's the case, that's why I was confused. I thought they were the same physical device, just one is professionally installed and one isn't, and of course I'm not going to pay for a guy to come out and do something I can do myself. I wish the website would say that they are different devices that connect differently.

peds48

then you can buy the kit from places like www.solidsignal.com or eBay and do it yourself

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cdavis226 

So, I've read all over the place that in order to connect to the Internet, while having whole home service, you must install the Cinema Connection Kit (DCCK).

In spite of some of the prior posts, if you have a new issue wireless connection kit from Directv, it should work just fine with your installation.  Note that the installer should have put in a hard wired adapter and they still might come back and do it for you.  The model number on the side should be DCAW1R0-01.  If so, you used the correct setup procedure but may be having a router IP conflict that is disrupting your system.  I'd would reset the system and set it up again.

Remove the CCK from the coax but leave it connected to AC.  Use a ballpoint pen to reset the CCK (small button on back).  On the DVR menu -> ....setup -> system setup -> network setup -> restore defaults -> exit.  On your router, disconnect AC for a minute, then reconnect.  Go to the router setup and assure that DHCP is enabled.  Then reconnect the coax to the DVR and set up the CCK again, followed by the connect now on the DVR.  I would set the CCK a few feet away from the router so one doesn't overpower the other.

cdavis226

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll try what dcd suggested and reset everything and move the CCK farther from my wireless router. Since I've already bought the CCK I don't want to buy something else, and I assume it's a new issue one since I just bought it a few weeks ago. I can't look at the model number right now since I'm at work.

As a side question - does the wired CCK that requires professional install really require a professional install? Or is Directv just trying to make a little more money on it?

dcd

Nothing to do with money, but it does require the proper splitter, a coax run to the router, the proper compression fittings etc, thus the professional installation requirement. They don't make any money on it, it's part of the standard Whole Home install and doesn't add to the charges.  Your CCK should match the center picture in the link.

http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2993

cdavis226

Ok, that makes sense. Unfortunately, when I had Directv installed, they weren't offering the free installation of the CCK. I went through a 3rd party and not Directv directly so I may have been shafted in that regard. Seems odd to me, but that's what they said, and from reading other posts, it seems like it would be about impossible to get Directv to come back out for free and install it. Thanks again for your help.

cdavis226

Ok dcd, I need your Directv wizardry. I reconnected everything, reset everything, and moved the CCK about 3.5 feet away just as you suggested. The CCK is on and working. I thought all was well because I was able to connect to my wireless network using an iPad. However, then my wife's iTouch couldn't connect, and neither could either of our laptops. This is exactly what happened last time. The strange thing is that the iPad never had a problem connecting. In order to allow our devices to connect wirelessly, I once again had to disconnect the CCK and restart the wireless router. I'm beginning to think it's a router problem and not a CCK issue. It's a relatively old Netgear router that I've had for probably over 4 years so I'm considering trying a new one but it's still weird that the iPad never has problems but everything else does. 

Any more suggestions?

• Re: Cinema Connection Kit disrupts wireless Internet
    dcd

We do see a bum router from time to time and they often are selectively bad. Hard to tell if that is your issue. Did you check the router setup to assure that DHCP auto configuration is enabled? That's the part of the router than manages all of the IP addresses.

Note this. The router will assign the correct IP configuration to each receiver as it's connected, assuming the router is already connected. If the router is not yet connected, the receivers will establish the configuration, which may conflict with your computers when the router is connected. The only correction for that situation is a system power down reset. It's easy to do but must be done in it's entirety and in the order listed. I would try this before replacing the router.

First thing to try is resetting the DECA network....it must be done in this order.Before you begin, assure that DHCP is enabled on your router if your system is connected to the Internet.  This is essential.

1. Disconnect AC power from each DVR and Receiver

2. Disconnect power from the DECA BB Adapter (black DECA BB box)

3. Disconnect power from the SWM dish Power Inserter (do you know where yours is located)?

4. Disconnect then reconnect AC power on your home network gateway/router and modem.

5. Wait a few minutes for the router to reset

6. Re-power the SWM Power Inserter

7. Re-power the DECA Broadband Adapter

8. Re-power each DVR and Receiver

Following that, press and hold the info button on one DVR, then select more system info.Scroll down and check that Internet is listed as connected. 

cdavis226

Thanks for the help. I'll try your suggestion this evening hopefully. But maybe you can clarify something for me. I definitely know where there is a device that has the letters SWM on it, so I make the assumption this is the SWM dish Power Inserter you mention. However, I do not see any other devices other than then actual HR24 receiver. So, what/where is the DECA? Do I have one in my setup or is it built into the receiver?

cdavis226

And yes, I have verified that DHCP is enabled on my router.

dcd

In your case, the Cinema Connection Kit takes the place of the DECA BB adapter.  The SWM device is in fact the power inserter.

cdavis226

I haven't responded to this in a while, but I ended up getting a new wireless router when I built a home server, and this problem went away, so I'm going to blame it on the old router and consider this solved.

peds48

thanks for the update!