11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 7:25 AM by peds48 RSS

Snow, cleaning dish, spraying it with Pam?

aetaylor

Hello,

I am new to Satellite TV and DirecTV. So, of course, all my "cable TV" friends have horror stories. I am in Massachusetts and I do get a lot of snow every winter.

My dish is located on the top of my garage roof - 35 feet up. Not a place I want to go in the winter time.

I am being told I have to clean the snow off the dish to maintain reception - true/false?

It is been recommended that I go up on the roof and spray the dish with Pam every fall to make sure the snow will "slip off" the dish.

And of course that every rain storm is going to stop reception.

How true is any of this and what other tall tales are out there?

Thanks

• Re: Snow, cleaning dish, spraying it with Pam?
    litzdog911

No! Do not use Pam!  This is a myth.  Pam is greasy and will stain your dish.  And besides, it's generally only the early or late very wet snows that cause reception problems.  Typically the issue is with storm cells BETWEEN your dish and the satellites, that is in the clouds.  

aetaylor

So, there is a possibility that I am going to have to clean snow off my dish in order to maintain reception?

(I don't have a 40 foot ladder, nor do I have the strength anymore to stand one up if I had one.)

djdicetn

Sorry...LOL....how can anybody be thinking about snow with the current nationwide heat wave???:0)

lowessnipe

they do sell heaters for the ka/ku dishes that work very well

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by aetaylor 

So, there is a possibility that I am going to have to clean snow off my dish in order to maintain reception?

Yes,  I've had Directv service for over ten years and had to clean off the snow twice.  I live in NJ near NYC.  We don't get as much snow as you do, but generally the snow simply falls off.

soonermaan

a friend of mine came up with an ingenious idea when we had 2 inches of ice on his dish about 30 feet up. I mentioned one of those super water pistols, he didn't like the idea of spending 50 bucks so he took a 2 liter plastic Coke bottle and drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the cap, fills it with hot water and melts anything that gets on the dish, works great!! The gray color you see on the dish is a special powder coat infused with teflon so it sheds water already, coating the dish with PAM is not a good idea

As far as "rain fade", loss of signal during rainstorms, the total outage in any given 365 day period will average 24 hours. Compare that to the time cable will be out and you don't have any idea why and I have found the dtv is out less, PLUS, with a little imagination and decent off air antenna hooked up to the digital tuner on the tv, you can load those channels to the tv for any weather updates you may be missing during the satellite outage and gain access to the sub feeds like, for example 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 etc as well

djdicetn

aetaylor,

Sorry for the earlier LOL, but now that I've quit laughing maybe I can offer a suggestion. Maybe you could contact DirecTV and ask them to have your local installer call you about moving the dish off the garage roof to a pole mount next to the garage. Then the dish would be where you could simply go out and de-ice/de-snow it easily. If this happens a lot, it may be worth what they would charge you to re-locate the dish.

aetaylor

Hey, I was amazed that this guy insisted that spraying the dish with Pam was a reasonable thing to do.

I looked through the forums and did not see any subjects of this sort, so I figured asking about "off the wall" issues would be a good thing to:

1. find out the real truth.

2. provide a place for other newbies to find out the real truth.

And yes, worrying about snow in July is a bit off the wall...

I like the Coke bottle idea, I will be surprised if it is going to go up 35 feet though.

The reason the dish is up so high is to get up where nearby trees do not interfere.

litzdog911

A big "sooper soaker" style squirt gun filled with warm water can easily reach 35-ft.  That's probably your best bet if snow removal is required.

Also, post back your signal readings.  Let's make sure they're the best they can be.  That will minimize any rain/snow fade issues.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #

9-16   NA  #   NA  #   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   #   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

jet1959mo
    DO NOT spray any chemicals or Pam on any of the plastics of the dish (LMB) at the end of the arm. ONLY spray the round/oblong metal dish itself. You are asking for eventual trouble or failure if spaying any of these on the LMB at the end of the arm. I use a spray bottle that has a straight stream spray that gives me an extra 10ft with an alcohol/water mix on the metal dish and signal always comes back. Ice on the LMB at the end of the arm is not the issue unless it has a coating of ice over it, it's the metal dish that recieves the signal and bounces it into the LMB which sends the signal to the cable.
    I am in my second snow storm this year. The first I had no problems because it was a dry snow that just fell off the dish but, this storm is wet and heavy and sticking to it. I sprayed the oblong metal dish and wholla! I had signal. As far as rain, I only lose signal if it downpours heavily. I am super satisfied with my Directv and their support team. I used to be an avid Dish user and will not go back.
    Quote:    Originally Posted by aetaylor

Hello,

I am new to Satellite TV and DirecTV. So, of course, all my "cable TV" friends have horror stories. I am in Massachusetts and I do get a lot of snow every winter.

My dish is located on the top of my garage roof - 35 feet up. Not a place I want to go in the winter time.

I am being told I have to clean the snow off the dish to maintain reception - true/false?

It is been recommended that I go up on the roof and spray the dish with Pam every fall to make sure the snow will "slip off" the dish.

And of course that every rain storm is going to stop reception.

How true is any of this and what other tall tales are out there?

Thanks

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by razorwindmo46 
    . I am super satisfied with my Directv and their support team. I used to be an avid Dish user and will not go back.

While we are glad that you are enjoying your DirecTV service, we always recommend that nobody uses any type of chemicals to cover the dish, specially PAM.  This leaves a sticky residue and can attract critters and/or birds.  Not a good idea.  Also realize that you are responding to a thread that is almost 2 years old!