29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2012 8:42 AM by dcd RSS

can't read new HD guide (font too small)

slugolicious

I work on software accessibility, making software usable for people with all kinds of abilities.  One of the areas we work on is for people with no, low, or limited vision.  Ofttimes it's a simple matter of being able to change the font size.  Other times it requires high contrast colors.  The new HD guide has light text on a dark background, which is typically a decent high contrast, although allowing me to set the text closer to white and the background closer to black would be helpful.  Currently the text is a very light gray and the background is a very dark gray.    However, my main problem, for me personally with limited vision, is being able to make the font bigger.  The previous guide used a larger font which I could read easily.  The new guide uses a much smaller font which I can only read if I stand right in front of the tv.  I'm guessing the font will be too small for older customers too, whose eyesight naturally declines with age.  I went through all the options in the guide and couldn't find a way to make the font bigger.

• Re: can't read new HD guide (font too small)
    litzdog911

There's no way to change the font size.  Be sure to email your feedback directly to DirecTV using the "Contact Us" link on their main web site.  It's not likely that they'll see your comments here. 

slugolicious

Yeah, I did the 'contact us' too.  This was their reply:

The new guide search is an integral part of DIRECTV’s ongoing efforts to modernize and improve our products and services. The new HD guide will be more intuitive and have an updated design that makes it easier to find what you want to watch. Your new guide will be faster, smarter, and easier to use. Improved graphics of the new HD guide are designed to be on par with today's crystal clear graphics customers expect from their electronic appliances.

What good is "faster, smarter, and easier to use" if you can't read the screen?  All it takes is a simple usability test with various aged customers and they would have found out quickly that font size is something that should be customizable.

litzdog911

With enough customer feedback, they might improve things. 

mcallisr

This new guide really s..cks. It is difficult to read with the small text and the black backgrounds. The only good thing to say about it is that the guide appears to scroll a little faster. Directv should have left well enough alone. Is there anyway to revert to the old format????

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mcallisr 

Is there anyway to revert to the old format????

no

drm400

I'm extremely disappointed with the legibility of the new HD On-screen programming guide.  Some may feel that the use of white letters on a black background makes the presentation more dramatic, but it makes the text subject to glare and thus difficult and uncomfortable to read.  There is a reason that ninety-nine percent of all written communication, including books, magazines, and even the DirecTV website uses black letters on a white background:  Text is clear, glare-free, and easy to read.  They could at least offer us the option of changing the guide to this method of display.  The current interface is just plain irritating.

To top it off, when I tried to email DirecTV via the online "Contact Us" link (http://support.directv.com/app/ask) to register my dissatisfaction, the system refuses to recognize my account number (all integers), displaying a message: "Account number value must be an integer".  Unreal . . . I guess they're not interested in my feedback. Frown

slugolicious

I had the same "account number value must be an integer" problem too.  I got it to work by deleting the first (left-most) digit, which was a zero.  Not sure why that fixed it but at least my comment got to them.

The light text on dark background is actually good for low vision people but it's not good for the majority of people.  That was in my original comment.  The key, as you pointed out, is to let the customer customize it to their needs.  They don't have to allow a bunch of options, just the ability to invert the colors and a few larger font sizes.

targhee

I haven't noticed the font size difference. Looks the same on my TV.

kram160

The movie posters on the What's On Now/You Also Might Like page are virtually impossible to read.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by targhee 

I haven't noticed the font size difference. Looks the same on my TV.

Be sure to email your feedback directly to DirecTV using the "Contact Us" link on their main web site.  It's not likely that they'll see your comments here. 

davidechen

i like the color scheme, but the menu is hard to read, the guide is making me strain my eyes, this was a bad idea by directv, dishnet menus are so easy to read, who's idea was it to change it, atleast give the customers options to change/play with the font and colors to their desire, this was one of the worst updates by Directv EVER!!

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by davidechen 

i like the color scheme, but the menu is hard to read, the guide is making me strain my eyes, this was a bad idea by directv, dishnet menus are so easy to read, who's idea was it to change it, atleast give the customers options to change/play with the font and colors to their desire, this was one of the worst updates by Directv EVER!!

Be sure to follow the advice in post #2 to ensure that DirecTV gets your feedback. 

photomanpro

The new guide is absolutely atrocious.  The font is too small to read, the color system of grey on black is hard to read.  The original system was much better and Directv should let us go back to the original system.  The progress bar when seeing how far you are in a recorded program has been changed to one color instead of the two color previously used.  Who ever was designing this system and giving advise to Directv should be fired.  I'm not looking for a "pretty" display, but one that is easy to read and use.  The new system clearly doesn't meet this criteria.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by photomanpro 

The new guide is absolutely atrocious.  The font is too small to read, the color system of grey on black is hard to read.  The original system was much better and Directv should let us go back to the original system.  The progress bar when seeing how far you are in a recorded program has been changed to one color instead of the two color previously used.  Who ever was designing this system and giving advise to Directv should be fired.  I'm not looking for a "pretty" display, but one that is easy to read and use.  The new system clearly doesn't meet this criteria.

There are many who disagree with your perspective.  But be sure to email DirecTV directly so they have your feedback.  

photomanpro

I can guarantee you that if anyone looked at the guide on my TV you would not say that "many who disagree with your perspective".  We were using the guide last night and continue to find that with the color scheme selected and the font size you cannot read the guide from any reasonable distance.  Now if the TV is 55 inches or larger maybe the font size is not an issue, but on a 32 inch screen the upgrade is just JUNK.

peds48

I have had the new guide for quite sometime now.  and I disagree with your perspective, making litz comment true.  DirecTV has 20 million plus subscribers and less the 1% have compliant about the new GUI, further making litz comment true again.

photomanpro
    I respectfully disagree with you. The guide is not useable because the font is too small. It would be interesting to know what size TV you are using. I think now that the new system has rolled out you will get more complaints. Directv needs to make some of these features customizable. This would resolve most of the issues. My wife thought it was so bad that she wants to look at other providers and she seldom complains like this. Again, if you live in CA and want to see how bad it is let me know.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    peds48

I have three TV's:  one 32 Toshiba, 1 42 LG and one 50 Samsung.  all them look great.  I live in NY

slugolicious
    Quote: Originally Posted by peds48_installs  

I have had the new guide for quite sometime now.  and I disagree with your perspective, making litz comment true.  DirecTV has 20 million plus subscribers and less the 1% have compliant about the new GUI, further making litz comment true again.

There are going to be some people that like it and some people that don't.  We're different.  However, saying that 1% have complained (how do you figure 1%?) justifies the current design is flawed reasoning.  We have no idea if people have been complaining on other forums, complaining via direct email to directv, or complaining by phone.

photomanpro said nothing that makes litzdog911's comment untrue.  litzdog911 just pointed out that people might not agree with photomanpro's assesment.  Of course that's true.  No one can say anything without finding someone else who disagrees with it.  Whether peds48_installs agrees with litzdog911's comment is totally irrelevant as to whether litzdog911's comment is true.  It's true whether you agree or not so I'm not sure what your point was.

And whether 1% have complained or 1 person has complained is also irrelevant as to whether litzdog911's comment is true.  It's true even if no one has complained.

The end result, however, seems to be that there weren't many (if any) comments with the old guide but there seem to be a growing number of comments on the new guide.  Some customer testing would have been nice.

peds48

the true of the matter is that when there is a big change, there are some people that are not going to be happy.  DirecTV knows that.  But their GUI needed to be revamp because this is the base of the roadmap of what is to come.  somethings in new new HD GUI might change, but folks need to understand that this GUI is here to stay and need to forget about the old SD GUI.  sending suggestions to DirecTV might help them to know which items need to be prioritized for change.  but "ranting" or "venting" here will lead nowhere.

mcallisr

Peds, Your comments imply there is a bigger picture here of some future change to come, do you know something the rest of us do not? You say that we should not rant or vent here. Well what better place than a Directv sponsored forum. I would hope that those folks who make decisions are getting feedback from these forums, if not then they certainly are not taking us seriously. Even if the HD GUI is "here to stay" that does not mean that it can't be improved.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mcallisr 

Peds, Your comments imply there is a bigger picture here of some future change to come, do you know something the rest of us do not? You say that we should not rant or vent here. Well what better place than a Directv sponsored forum. I would hope that those folks who make decisions are getting feedback from these forums, if not then they certainly are not taking us seriously. Even if the HD GUI is "here to stay" that does not mean that it can't be improved.

It's pointless to rant or vent here, unless it makes you feel better.  As we've pointed out over and over and over, DirecTV will NOT see your feedback here.  This is a technical support forum staffed by customer volunteers, not DirecTV employees.  If you don't like the new user interface, then email your feedback directly to DirecTV.   Certainly it will be improved over time.  

brimorga
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

I don't know about you, but ~200,000 people having a problem with the new guide seems pretty significant to me, even if that is only 1% of 20 million.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by brimorga 

I don't know about you, but ~200,000 people having a problem w

complaining and having a problem (technical) are two different things.

wiiiindy

Not a huge problem for me but it seems obvious that the text is harder to read on the new Guide.  I can see where people with impaired vision or smaller screens could have more problems than on the old.

To me, the only real improvement is putting the time in the upper right corner where you can always find it (yes I often use the guide, list, or info pages as clocks.)  I am pretty puzzled why they went to the trouble to change it.

jimmie57

I read this thread before I got the new format and measured the height of the font in the guide that I had.

I got the new format early this morning. I measured the height of the font in this format.

The old format on my 46" TV was .750" tall, this new format is .650" tall ( 10% smaller ).

It is fine on my TV but I do not have a smaller TV to see how it looks on there.

A couple of things I noticed is that some of the pop up menus, etc. appear to be semi transparent and the underlying text of something else that was already on the screen makes it a little bit more difficult to read. Note that this type of displaying translucent pop up windows is the default of Windows 7.

The other thing is the bright, light blue highlight coming from behind the guide makes the text in that area at the top of the guide a little more difficult to read, especially the last 2 lines before the grid.

The speed and graphix are awesome.

Bottom line is I give it big thumbs up.

donsdirectv

They better fix this or i'm going back to cable!

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by donsdirectv 

They better fix this or i'm going back to cable!

is always good to have choices.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jimmie57 

The speed and graphix are awesome.

Bottom line is I give it big thumbs up.

Ditto, I like it as well.  Here is a side note.  I have a 13 year old son who has all the Directv goodies, HD DVR, HD TV, Nomad, Media Share, Directv2PC etc.  When the new guide hit our house a couple of weeks ago, he never even mentioned it, it was like a non event for him.   Some folks don't handle change very well, but one would think a person would see that in themselves.