4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2012 4:12 PM by wussery RSS

Vizio Soundbar Remote Commands on Directv Remote

wussery

I have programmed my HD34 receiver remote to control the volume up and volume down on my Vizio VHT210 Soundbar. Are there any other buttons on the Directv remote that will mimic some of the controls that are on the Vizio Soundbar remote?

• Re: Vizio Soundbar Remote Commands on Directv Remote
    litzdog911

You were lucky to find a code that works the Soundbar's volume controls.  I doubt that the DirecTV remote can control much else on your Soundbar. 

wussery
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 

You were lucky to find a code that works the Soundbar's volume controls.  I doubt that the DirecTV remote can control much else on your Soundbar. 

Yeah, I reviewed the forum and followed the instructions to program AV2 as my Vizio Soundbar except I chose Audio and found several Vizio Soundbar models that were close to the one that I purchased and then read another post where it allows the volume up and down buttons to control the Vizio Soundbar in Directv, AV1 or AV2 mode.

wussery

After some thinking. I may be approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead of having the Directv controlling everything from its remote, why not purchase a Universal Remote like the Vizio XRU9M that will control the Directv Receiver, Vizio Soundbar, LG TV, my DVD Player and one other device, might be the way to approach this Soundbar problem. The Remote can be had for less than 20 bucks from Walmart. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and I will report back with my results. I am assured that the Vizio remote will support all the features of the Soundbar and I'll see what I have to give up on the Directv side.

After reading a few reviews on the Vizio site and on Walmart's site this universal remote may be worth a try.

wussery

Well, I am here to report that I have a mixed bag of results with the Vizio XRU9M remote control. Before I get too far into this review, I will definitely be keeping the remote although it has a few shortcomings. I bought one today at Walmart for 15.00 and got into programming it as soon as I got back home. I was able to find codes for all components, but the extensive code guide that comes with the remote does not break down the components by model number. So for example, LG has many TV's to choose from, but there is no breakdown in the code list as to what code goes to a particular TV. So you could have a code that turns off your TV, but doesn't handle any other functions that you would want it to perform. So one has to go with the first match and then try out what functions work and don't work before you settle on a particular code for your model of TV.

I was able to bring up the Menu options for the TV and could scroll around the options, but when it came time to press the Enter Key, which is the OK key on the Vizio remote, there was no response. So off to trying another code for the LG TV and try out various options. I have not found a code that accepts the OK button as the Enter Key. I can turn the TV on and off with several codes in the manual.

My Directv experience was perplexing. There is a DTV button on this remote and it will turn on and handle all of the Directv commands very nicely. The problem is when this button is programmed, it over rides the settings that have been programmed for my Soundbar. I originally had my Vizio Soundbar programmed for the Audio button and everything worked fine with the remote controlling my soundbar. As soon as I programmed the DTV button for Directv, I lost all previously saved settings for the Audio button. I also tried to program the AV button for my Soundbar and I got the same behavior after programming the DTV button for Directv.

The fix was to program the Cable button on the Vizio remote to a Directv code and have my Soundbar programmed on the Audio button. I am able to control these functions on my Vizio Soundbar with the Universal Vizio Remote:

Power, Input, Volume Up, Volume Down, Mute, Channel Up = Sub Volume Up, Channel Down = Sub Volume Down.

I cannot find a key that controls,Bass + or -, SRS TruSurround or SRS TruVolume. In my Soundbar manual it says the Menu button and the Info button should control the SRS functions, but these buttons have

I also have programmed the DVD button to my Samsung Blueray DVD and it appears to work just fine. So overall I am satisfied with the remote. Please note, my Directv remote will automatically turn off my HDDVR and the TV with the press of one button. This remote does not have this function. You will have to turn off the TV and the DVR individually with the Vizio remtoe. I will continue to search for better codes for my LG TV. Your mileage may vary. I would give this remote a 8 out of 10. I would be willing to pay more for this same remote if it had a learning mode and the if it had the ability to link several commands together. I would also like to see a code list broken down by Device Type, Manufacturer and Model Number.  One can't complain for 15 bucks. Nice job Vizio.