37 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2012 5:26 PM by peds48 RSS

New HD GUI Guide

cajazzman

Over night I received the new guide and I must say it's awesome. This for sure makes watching and surfing the guide much easier and the look is by far too cool.

• Re: New HD GUI Guide
    jimmie57

Glad to hear someone on here  that likes it. Lots of people on here complaining that it is hard to read.

I am sheduled to get it on the 10th and i was beginning to worry a little bit.

cajazzman

jimmie57, it's very easy to read. Now, it's allot different than the old one, so, that might be why others are saying that, but, mine is crystal clear. I watch on a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and have no issues at all. Maybe those whom are saying that have a smaller or even not a plasma. I know that plasmas are more clearer. so who knows. But, I will say that you will really enjoy the new look and how they have arranged the different sections.

texasbrit

I also like the new guide. Of course, you will normally only see posts here from people who don't like it.

cajazzman

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.

sgkane

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by sgkane 

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.

I also like the new GUI.  is very snappy

texasbrit

I have LCDs and an old projection CRT system, and the new guide looks good on all of them.  My neighbor has DLP and the guide looks great also. I suspect some of the complaints are from people whose TVs are not calibrated very well, so the text is too bright and suffers from glare, or the blacks are not very black.

litzdog911

The new guide even looks good on my old Toshiba 19" CRT TV.   

kmsparkles

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.

Other than that the GUI is wonderful to me and definitely faster.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by kmsparkles 

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.

Other than that the GUI is wonderful to me and definitely faster.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.

this fix is in the works....

donsdirectv

Well it's good you like the new guide but from what I read here there are a LOT of people that think it is hard to read and don't like it!

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

Everyone that reads these posts and doesn't like the new guide needs to contact directv by email on their website and voice their concerns!

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by donsdirectv 

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

That's not an option we're likely to get. 

conexxio
    This new UI is really an upgrade.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    joed32
    Quote:    Originally Posted by cajazzman 

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.

A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by joed32 

A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.

It absolutely can be used with SD devices.   The easiest solution is a Component-to-Composite Video Converter, which will totally avoid the "Press Exit" pop up message.  But even without that, it's still possible to copy shows to your DVD Recorder by simply following the pop up message instructions to temporarily change to SD resolution. 

gardenflag

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?  In my opinion, the new guide is horrible.  The color scheme is the most depressing, goth looking, monstrosity I've ever seen.  Can't even see the channel numbers.  Who designs these things?

dutts

I love the new guide. Crisp and clean looking.  Great contrast between the dark background and white lettering.  Everything is easy to read.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by gardenflag 

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?

Because most people love the new guide.....just because is not your cup of tea, it does not mean it has to be the same for everybody else.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by gardenflag 

When I read these comments as a viewer, they were mostly negative.  Now, after signing in, comments are positive. What gives?  In my opinion, the new guide is horrible.  The color scheme is the most depressing, goth looking, monstrosity I've ever seen.  Can't even see the channel numbers.  Who designs these things?

Well, you stumbled on one of the few threads where someone took the time to post positive feedback.  Of course, most folks only visit forums when they have problems or something to complain about, so it should be no surprise that the negatives outweigh the positives here.  

If you're seriously looking for some help, I'll tell you that your TV's video settings are not properly adjusted if you can't see the channel numbers.  

jimmie57

litzdog911

I think a lot of people run their TVs in the "DEMO" mode and get a super contrast that would make it difficult to read.

I remember when I fist got my HD I did that and in a short while it was hurting my eyes.

I then went into the TV settings and got it into the normal mode and even reduced the backlighting one notch or 2 and it is excellent.

If you adjust the backlighting immediately when you turn on the TV it will be too bright.

The TV need to have warmed up before adjusting the backlighting.

You get the same results on your PC Monitor if you are not careful.

texasbrit

It's true that many people use their Tv in "torch mode" which is often the factory setting. If you read HDTV reviews, turning down the contrast setting is almost always the first thing the reviewer does.  If the contrast is too high, white characters can sometimes be much too bright.

peds48

Yep, "torch mode" is the default on most TVs because the manufacturers want their TV's to "scream" louder then the other guy's while on the store's display so that they get your attention 

litzdog911

A good clue is when the background color appears as black.  On a properly adjusted TV, it's actually a dark grey.   I still have the old GUI on my HR34 and it really looks ugly and outdated compared to the new HD GUI on my other HD DVRs and Receivers. 

joed32
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joed32 

It absolutely can be used with SD devices.   The easiest solution is a Component-to-Composite Video Converter, which will totally avoid the "Press Exit" pop up message.  But even without that, it's still possible to copy shows to your DVD Recorder by simply following the pop up message instructions to temporarily change to SD resolution. 

I know all that but it's the reason that I don't like the guide. I can work around it but I can't say that I enjoy having it that way. I'm not whining about it at all, just some one who says if you don't have a Plasma or DLP may cause you not to see the guide is pretty far fetched I just junked my DLP for an LED 3D LCD and the picture is great. I also have 2 other TVs that are Sony LED LCD that I love and are even clear enough to read the text in the guide.

thomasr1950

I don't know how DTV selected the test people, obviously they are color blind. This new color is horrible, i'm sorry, i meant lack of color. White on a black background. HORRIBLE!

cajazzman

I love this new H guide, but we see many that aren't. But, if you look at the different companies, such as cable, sat, etc..... You will see theirs is very similar to Directv's. So, what can we say about all of these others? That this is how you will see HD guides in the furture and beyond.

thomasr1950

The last time i saw Dish's Guide it was much more user friendly. I'd switch but i've heard a lot of horror stories about them & Comcast. Just waiting on ATT Uverse to switch.

thomasr1950

What's so great about it? It's harder to see the white against black. I have a new HD that has a great pic. But with the new guide it's just not pretty, 2 colors, B&W. There needs to be more colors, harder to search for what i'm looking for. How did DTV come up with this?

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by thomasr1950 

What's so great about it? It's harder to see the white against black. I have a new HD that has a great pic. But with the new guide it's just not pretty, 2 colors, B&W. There needs to be more colors, harder to search for what i'm looking for. How did DTV come up with this?

If you're only seeing "2 colors, B&W", then your TV's picture settings are not optimized. 

thomasr1950
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thomasr1950 

If you're only seeing "2 colors, B&W", then your TV's picture settings are not optimized. 

What do you mean "optimize"? I mainly see white letters on black background then the current show is highlighted in blue. Above the guide is a lighter shade of blue. Still think it's horrible, too much dark in the background. Looks like DTV could use a lighter color(s). The white is too bright against the dark background.

cajazzman

You may want to adjust your colors or tint. I say this because, what mine looks like is very nice on the eyes. Yes, you have described where each color is, but not at all are they bright. So, why not try adjusting before you say you hate this or that. I know that the old guide was horrible to say the least.

jimmie57

Try taking your TV out of Demo mode and put it in Normal and then reduce the back lighting one step.

Makes a huge difference.

The regular pictures you watch are then easier on your eyes also.

I noticed this 2-1/2 years ago when I got my HD TV.

I love it. I have always had a blck screen on my PCs.

The white letters in the light blue area could use some help up there.

I wrote to DirecTV and suggested this. Have you written to the people you are complaining about ?

thomasr1950

You may want to adjust your colors or tint. I say this because, what mine looks like is very nice on the eyes. Yes, you have described where each color is, but not at all are they bright. So, why not try adjusting before you say you hate this or that. I know that the old guide was horrible to say the least.

I just adjusted my colors before the new GUI, i don't feel like a consumer should have to adjust their pics just bcause DTV comes out with a new
    GUI. They should have researched it more before coming out with dull colors. Everything was fine before the new GUI. If it ain't broke don't fix it, it wasn't broke. If i adjust color/tint that makes viewing everything off, not just the GUI. I did email DTV, of course it won't do anygood.

kolvir

The guide is sluggish and offers little or no new features. The interface is still a huge pain. Count how many steps you have to go through to add or remove a channel to your channel list, or to adjust the priority of program recording order. Or for God's sake add a trash box for accidentally deleted programs. These would have been improvements. It offers nothing in terms of functionally, just a sluggish interface with a new color.

cajazzman

I'm sorry but this is not sluggish one bit. In fact this is very fast compared to the old guide. Now with my other DVR which is a R22, it's as fast as this one is now. But before with the old guide with my HR23/700 it was slow and at times froze. My wife every so often complained about how slow it was. But now she see how fast and how nice it looks. As far as adding to the list, there's just as many as was before. Now, they have moved around some things, but by far this is so much better than the old guide.

jimmie57
    Quote:    Originally Posted by thomasr1950 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajazzman 

I just adjusted my colors before the new GUI, i don't feel like a consumer should have to adjust their pics just bcause DTV comes out with a new
    GUI. They should have researched it more before coming out with dull colors. Everything was fine before the new GUI. If it ain't broke don't fix it, it wasn't broke. If i adjust color/tint that makes viewing everything off, not just the GUI. I did email DTV, of course it won't do anygood.

Every opinion in writing is looked at and is added to the total numbers of requests / complaints for possible change or fixing.

Glad you wrote to them.

peds48

I'm sorry but this is not sluggish one bit. In fact this is very fast compared to the old guide. Now with my other DVR which is a R22, it's as fast as this one is now. But before with the old guide with my HR23/700 it was slow and at times froze. My wife every so often complained about how slow it was. But now she see how fast and how nice it looks. As far as adding to the list, there's just as many as was before. Now, they have moved around some things, but by far this is so much better than the old guide.

I concur