8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 9:22 AM by abrimberry RSS

Whole House DVR no longer recognizes external hard drive

dlbaileysalem

We had Directtv installed 4 months ago. I setup a WD 1 terabyte external hard drive the first day and everything has worked well. We watched some football today and then went for a walk. When we returned the receiver (HR24-200) would not turn on. We tried the power button on the front and the remote. We reset the unit using the red button and the receiver came. In the process of resetting the screen indicated that it was installing new software. When the process was complete we found that all of our favorite lists were gone, reset to the factory settings AND the unit will no longer detect or recognize the external drive. I have reset the unit twice since then, unplugged and restarted the hard drive, but the receiver still will not recognize the external HD. I called customer support but they think it is a software issue. Any ideas?

• Re: Whole House DVR no longer recognizes external hard drive
    dcd

As far as I know there is no problem with the latest software and external drives.  Something as simple as a power outage can cause the DVR to boot to the internal drive.  Once that happens, there is only one way to get the external drive back again.  Disconnect AC power from both the DVR and the external drive.  Reconnect the external drive AC and wait a couple of minutes for it to totally power up.  Then reconnect the AC power to the DVR.

dlbaileysalem

Thanks for the prompt reply. I really appreciate it. I tried that procedure and it did not work. This also overlooks the fact that after the reboot yesterday my Favorites and my recording queue were wiped clean and reset to the factory settings; something that is not supposed to happen on a reboot.

I agree that it is not a software issue,  that ‘s just the excuse I was given over the phone by the first technician who could not solve the problem. It seems to me that I have a bad receiver. This could be checked out simply by sending a technician to my home (I pay the extra monthly fee for this service) with a new one. If after the install the new receiver recognizes the external hard drive – problem solved. If it does not, we can move on to something else.

dcd

As to your first point.  If the DVR booted to the wrong drive, the recording queue would be wrong because the queue and settings all reside on the hard drive.

If you were speaking to a CSR and told them your DVR wouldn't turn on, but before that happened you saw several 771 fault messages and thought you needed a service call, you'd likely get it.  They probably wouldn't come for a external drive as that is an unsupported use.

dlbaileysalem

Thanks again for the quick reply. My only response is WHY did it boot to the wrong hard drive. If it is because of my external hard drive then that's my issue and I have to face it. If, however, it booted to the internal because of a malfuntioning HR24, then that's the responsibility of the Directtvand they should repair it.

Question: is my favorites list tied to the exteranl hard drive as well as my recording queue? If so, it makes sense that my favorites list was wiped out. If not, it is evidence that it is the HR24 that is malfunctioning. Thanks for all your help and insight

litzdog911

More likely it's a problem with your external drive.  Favorites list is also stored on the hard drive.