9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 5:56 AM by dcd RSS

Running System Setup with Slimeline 3 SWM dish

aces99
Hi, I have 2 HR24 HD DVR and a Slimeline 3 SWM dish. I hooked and set up everything myself and everything seems to be working fine but I got a question. When I run the Satellite Setup Test I get a red X on the very last part, the Even 103. Here is my system configuration and what I get run I run the system setup

Dish Type: 17: Slimeline-3S (SWM) Dish:       AZIM  ELEV TILT
Switch Type: 01:SWM SL3-S                         134    32      108
Tuners: Dual

93     101     103
Odd (13v)  check  check  check
Even (18v) check  check  X

Here are the signal strengths when I go to signal meter,

101          95%
99 (C )     86%
99 (S)      Not Available
103 (S)    Not Available
103 (CA)  90%
103 (CB)  90%
SWM      98%

Are all 6 supposed to havecheck marks or is there supposed to be a red X on the last part, Even on sat 103. If all 6 are supposed to be check marks, any ideas what I am missing and am supposed to do. Thanks for the help.
  • Re: Running System Setup with Slimeline 3 SWM dish
    litzdog911

Your signal readings on the HD satellites are too low. The red X means your readings don't pass muster.  You need to tweak the dish's fine tuning adjustments a bit more. 

peds48

the red X means that you are not passing installation verification or IV.  DirecTV has included in their software a tool that checks "random" transponders to very that the signal passes DirecTV standards.  if a tech was installing your receiver, they will have to realign your dish in order for the receiver to activate.  customers get  a "continue" option instead of a "get waiver" option that a tech would get.

aces99

I installed everything myself because I live so far out of town. Both receivers are activated already and working. I seem to be getting all the channels, atleast I hope so. But when I run the setup test I get 1 red X on the last one, Sat 103 (Even). I am not quite sure if and what I need to do to fix it so all 6 of them are check marks or do I just ignore it. I am not to sure which way to turn the dials to realign or fine tune the dish, I don't want to turn the dials the wrong way and make it worse. Any help would be appreciated.

litzdog911

You probably need to tweak the dish's alignment.  Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #

9-16   NA  #   NA  #   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   #   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

aces99

I have 2 HR24 HD DVR dual tuner receivers and a Slimeline 3 SWM (SL3-S) dish. When I go into Dish Pointing and put in my Zip Code it says my dish should be at Azimuth 134º, Elevation 32º and Tilt 108º. Here are my signal readings for each satellite's transponders. Both receivers and both tuners have almost the same readings, +\- 2.

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

1-8:    95-95-95-0-95-96-92-97

9-16:  94-96-94-0-95-97-91-99

17-24: 96-89-95-0-95-98-95-98

25-32: 95-0-92-89-96-96-94-99

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c))

1-8:   85-89-82-85-87-89-85-85

9-16: 86-90-88-86-89-91-NA-NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s))

1-8:    0-0-0-0-0-0-NA-NA

9-16:  NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-98-0

17-24: 0-0-37-0-0-0-0-99

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s))

1-8:    0-0-0-0-0-0-NA-NA

9-16:   NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-0-0

17-24: 0-0-0-0-0-2-45-0

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

1-8:    NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA

9-16:   93-91-84-82-90-90-81-80

17-24: 87-91-83-80-85-91-85-84

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))

1-8:     89-95-90-82-89-94-81-81

9-16:   91-95-80-81-91-95-NA-NA

17-24: NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

1-8:   99-97-0-0-98-96-95-95

9-16: 95-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA

I am not quite sure which way to tweak the dish's alignment and don't want to make anything worse. Any help is muchly appreciate. Thanks

litzdog911

I think you're OK.  The 103º readings could be a tad bit higher, but  not much.  Probably not worth fiddling with. 

aces99

Ok, thanks. If I do play around with it just for giggles I will make sure I mark the dish so I can always go move it back to where it was if I make it worse. But it looks like I am getting all the HD channels so I might just leave it unless it is needed.

ddithers

Instead of marking the dish, zero the 2 dials on the elevation and azimuth adjustments.  You can for starters go up .2 (point 2) turns on elevation (the dial on the left from behind the dish. If signal improves go up another .1 -- If it gets worse go down .2 turns.  Same with Azimuth.  As long as you have your zero mark to go back to you will at least be able to get back where you started.  You did pretty darned well the first time around-you are not far off.  Some combination of slight adjustments will get you on target.  Other factors that come into play are condition of the LNB and the reflectors dimensions. A surprisingly small ding or warp can affect signal levels. An LNB with a little age on it will do the same.

dcd

Here's a quick and easy dish tweaking procedure.  For starters, assure that your dish mast is perfectly plumb.  If not, use a level and the monopoles to plumb it first thing.  Tune your receiver to display the signal strengths on the 99c satellite, then choose the green signal bars for transponder #3. Have someone watch (cell phones are handy to advise) while you adjust the fine tuning screw on the azimuth setting. Go slow, only tiny amounts will make a big difference. You'll soon know if you're going the wrong way and a couple of turns will likely max out the improvement. Lock the bolts and do elevation next. It should not be necessary to adjust the tilt. You should be able to get the signals into the 90's quite easily.

Note that you loosen the fine tuning bolts only, you never loosen the main clamps and you do one axis at a time.  If you max that one transponder the rest of the signals will follow suit.