6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 2:34 PM by biggrigg RSS

Directv not turning 3D sync off

jgermany

I have an HD DVR (model HR21-700) that I am using for 3D in a home theater application with a projector (DPI Titan 3D) and outboard video scalar (Lumagen XE3D).  The scalar detects 3D in the signal and directs the projector to the correct 3D mode via a Crestron control system.

When I set the DVR to a 3D channel (say 106), my scalar correctly detects the 3D sync and sets the project up for 3D.  The PROBLEM is that when I go back to a non-3D channel (say 202), the DVR does not turn off the 3D sync.  In fact the only way to get the sync turned back off is to power cycle the DVR.  I also have a Crestron Digital Media system that is also detecting 3D on the Directv DVR and it's findings are identical to my scalar.  The problem is definitely within the DVR.

This is a unit controlled RS-232 via a USB dongle.

What say you Directv?

• Re: Directv not turning 3D sync off
    greywolf

This is a peer to peer forum so you haven't really reached DirecTV directly. I have forwarded your post to a DirecTV rep. You setup is far from typical and involves some things I haven't seen before in a 3D setup.

jgermany

Thanks greywolf.

greywolf

I saw a response. It was inane, a bunch of questions including HD or SD and how was the weather. I'm not even forwarding it. There have been problems with RS232 control that are being addressed in a future software upgrade but I doubt that involved in your problem. Are you using high speed HDMI cables? Regular cables have caused problems when there is another device in line between receiver and display. Some inline devices just plain don't work properly with the DirecTV signal. See if disconnecting the HDMI cable and reconnecting it works. If so, you could add a switch. Before I had an AVR that supported 3D, I added a remote control HDMI switch with macros on a learning remote controlling the components.

jgermany

Ahhh look. A mod edited my post to remove disparaging comments about my Directv rep. How cute.

Yes, all cables are good.  A common switching system is in place and 3D works perfect for my BluRay.  3D also works just fine on Directv, i just have to manage the signal routing myself as the Directv box is not managing the 3D sync properly (by not turning it off)

greywolf

All I can do at this point is wish you luck then. Maybe the software work being done to fix the RS-232 control problem will help after all.

biggrigg

Okay, I'm having the same problem with my HR34-700, connected to a Mitsubishi HC7900DW projector via HDMI.

Even on standard 2D channels, the DVR causes the projector to turn on the 3D sync IR emitter - this makes the remote control difficult to use, and also some image quality issues.  Rebooting the DVR does not fix the issue.

Anyone know why the DVR does this, and if it can be corrected?  Thanks.