23 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2014 2:02 PM by hbquikcomjamesl RSS

ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel.  (ext.900)

babbott50

For the last 3 weeks I have been having an issue with channel 509  (HBO Zone)coming up with an error message YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONNECT PROTECTION.  REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLE WITH COMPONET CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM. (EXT.900).  I called in a toruble report, was sent a new DVR box.  Replaced it and the problem was gone for one day.  Then it came back.  An installer came out with new HDMI cable and a RBG cable.  He swapped out the HDMI cable and the issue disappeared for two days.  Then came back.  I have called in again and was told to remove HDMI cable and use only the component cables RBG/RWY.  Again the problem cleared for less than a day.  So I went out purchased new gold tip cables - HDMI, RBG/RWY ... I just want to know what is going on with this one channel.  What changes has Directv done recently?  Why do I have to keep calling in to try to find a resolution?  Does any one have any ideas on what is causing this issue and which cables should be used?

• Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel.  (ext.900)
    peds48

this is being caused by HDCP (copy protection) and this is only enforced with HDMI cables only.   there reason why it may appear that the problem goes away is because not all movies might have this copy protection.  it appears that your T  might not be HDCP complaint.  what model of TV do you have?

if your TV is NOT HDCP complaint, then you only choice is to switch to component cables.

• Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel.  (ext.900)
    jimmie57

What show were you watching that gave that message ?

I had a couple of shows on that channel right after it was added and it told me I HAD to install an HDMI cable ( I was running with the Component Cables, 5, R,B,G and R & W ).

I had my TV hooked up with both so I just switched to the HDMI Input and the program played.

texasbrit

To follow on from the previous posts.  Some channels (particularly HBO) are now enforcing the HDCP copyright protection protocol on some shows.  This means that whenever you tune to one of these programs, the DirecTv box checks the HDMI link to your TV and tests it for HDCP compliance.  If the TV does not send back the correct responses, you get the message. Component video does not have HDCP so switching cables solves the problem.

Sometimes rebooting the DVR, or powering down the TV completely (removing the power plug from the wall)  can eliminate "false" HDCP errors, otherwise you will have to live with it. And more of the premium channels will be enforcing HDCP in the future.

jimmie57

FYI : More Info on HDCP

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display. The format designed by Intel and licensed by Digital Content Protection, LLC using an authentication and key exchange procedure before video and audio is presented. Products compatible with the HDCP scheme such as DVD players, satellite and cable HDTV set-top-boxes, as well as few entertainment PCs requires a secure connection to a compliant display, the process often described as the handshake. Due to the increase in manufacturers employing HDCP in their equipment, it is highly recommended that any HDTV you purchase is compatible. Although most video devices support high-definition video over component output, analog connections are scheduled to phase out in the future or possibly forced to limited resolutions output.

Why is it important to me?

Although manufacturers are still making most products with at least component HD output, new generation of products like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray devices will limit the analog output resolution (Analog defined as Component or RGBHV). The highest resolutions these devices can output (720p/1080i/1080p) will be available on via the digital (DVI or HDMI) connections that employ HDCP encryption. Any new HDTV purchase should have a digital HDCP compatible input.

link:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

jimmie57

Edit: Removed after review and conversation with tech support on the phone. See next post.

jimmie57

OK,

I just learned something NEW today.

I called Tech Support and got a sharp guy.

Told him about the Post that I just posted about the message being backwards.

He told me that there was something going on that the receiver knew that I had both cables plugged in and it did not really know what to do with that and the message popped up.

He asked if I could put the TV on Component connection and then unplug my HDMI connection.

I put it on the Component connection,

the message popped up, the movie went to a blank screen.

I then went to the TV and unplugged the HDMI.

Walla, the movie is on and the Message is gone.

Holey Moley !

jimmie57

babbott50

If you have both the HDMI and the Component cables plugged into the TV,

try removing the HDMI cable from the TV and leave the Component cables hooked up.

See doesn't the problem go away.

dcd

Any time you connect a HDMI cable to the output of a device, even if the other end is not in use or the device it's plugged into is shut down, the HDMI cable will activate the handshake. Thus you should always unplug any unused HDMI cables from both ends.

Some folks have both HDMI and component feeding two different TV's and it's necessary to have the HDMI one up and running for the component to work.  So, any time you advise someone to try component to solve HDMI problems, one should add the admonition "be sure to disconnect the HDMI cable at both ends".

jimmie57

OK,

I will unplug the other end of mine when I go back to the den.

Thanks

dndell

I have the same problem - 2 displays: 1) a 1080p projector that requires the HDMI port (but which I can't use in the daytime), and 2) an LCD tv.   The situation where those of us with 2 displays aren't able to get certain channels we pay for on the component connection, without manually unconnecting and reconnecting cables, is very unsatisfactory.  Fact is, to get around this problem requires DVRs with 2 HDMI out ports, but Directv doesn't offer them, and, for that matter, neither does Comcast or even the highest end Tivo boxes.

I hope others will contact their providers to raise this as an issue.  I know it may be required of Directv to do this, but The failure of the Content-creators, Premium Channels, and Distribution Providers (cable/satellite) to get their act together has created a mess.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dndell 

I have the same problem - 2 displays: 1) a 1080p projector that requires the HDMI port (but which I can't use in the daytime), and 2) an LCD tv.   The situation where those of us with 2 displays aren't able to get certain channels we pay for on the component connection, without manually unconnecting and reconnecting cables, is very unsatisfactory.  Fact is, to get around this problem requires DVRs with 2 HDMI out ports, but Directv doesn't offer them, and, for that matter, neither does Comcast or even the highest end Tivo boxes.

I hope others will contact their providers to raise this as an issue.  I know it may be required of Directv to do this, but The failure of the Content-creators, Premium Channels, and Distribution Providers (cable/satellite) to get their act together has created a mess.

all the TV service providers support a one TV per receiver set up.  and the system is design as such.  jury-rigging a system is up to the user and as such, the user must do what ever is necessary to make it work at their own expense.  and the problem you are having has nothing to do with DIrecTV, it has to do with DHCP, which is a Hollywood created scheme to prevent us from copying content that we rent.  crazy, Huh??

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

hbquikcomjamesl

peds48 wrote:

all the TV service providers support a one TV per receiver set up.  and the system is design as such.

And therein is the flaw in the design:

In a client-server-based whole house system, or at least in the DirecTV Genie system, if two boxes are receiving the same program, one will lag approximately two to three seconds behind the other (coincidentally, about the same lag seen in the "confidence" output of professional Blu-Ray recorders).

This is, of course, not an issue if the two screens are not in the same room, or adjoining rooms. But that's not always the case.

Up until around the 1950s or early 1960s, houses were typically built with the living room and the kitchen at opposite ends of the house, with the kitchen isolated (even from the formal dining room) by a closed door, and typically containing a breakfast nook that doubled as a prep area. In the house where my mother grew up, the living room was, quite literally, "the front room," and the kitchen was at the back of the house, adjacent to a service porch. But this all changed, starting perhaps as early as the late 1940s, with the introduction of the "open kitchen" concept, which was firmly in place by the early 1960s (when the house I grew up in, and still live in to this day, was built).

It's quite common in "open kitchen" floor plans for the kitchen and dining room to be adjacent to the living room, and well within earshot, without any direct sightline from the kitchen into the living room. Thus, you can be working in the kitchen, and hear the living room TV without being able to see it. The obvious solution is to place a second screen in the kitchen. If those in the kitchen want to watch an entirely different program from those in the living room, separate boxes pose no problem. But if they want to watch the same program, and use separate boxes on a client-server system, they end up with two choices: either leave the sound turned on, and hear everything with a 2-3 second echo, or mute the sound, and watch a picture that's 2-3 seconds out of sync with the sound. Either way, it's extremely annoying.

Until we have fully synchronous whole-house systems, the only way to avoid that annoying 2-3 second delay is to run a direct feed (video-only is fine in this application; even standard-definition would be fine, except for the equally annoying, and generally pointless, messages about the box being set for high definition) from the living room box into a second input to the kitchen TV.

texasbrit

Even that won't necessarily work because with digital signals, each TV has its own signal processing time and so unless the TVs are identical (and processing identical signals)  they may not be in sync. If you run the SD signal and the HD signal into two TVs they will almost always be out of sync with each other.

hbquikcomjamesl

Which I actually know from experience: years ago, we had cable, standard-def, boxless (well, we had a box, because the cable company, wanting at least a pious hope of pay-per-view revenue, had a surcharge for not having at least one box in the house, but it was almost never actually powered up, because we hadn't had so much as a single premium channel in our package in over 20 years), with a digital LCD TV in the living room, and an old CRT TV in the kitchen, and if we were watching the same program in both the living room and the kitchen, with the kitchen sound turned up, it would lead the living room by a split second.

And with the present video-only YPbPr feed (or the previous video-only composite feed, which is now dedicated to a VCR/DVDR combo) going into the kitchen, lip-sync isn't exactly perfect there.

But it's close enough for jazz. A fraction of a second, especially with the sound down, is not the same as two to three full seconds.

dndell

You might be right about a separate thread, though I believe my problem is the exact same one outlined by the first poster (though they do have just a single tv, I suppose).  What makes this important, though, is that component and HDMI have always worked flawlessly together for 2 TVs on all Directv channels, regardless of connection.  This issue is new, & as far as I can tell is unique to that one HBO channel HBOZHD.  I agree Directcv isn't responsible, per se, but I have no relationship with content creators - I do with Directv and, indirectly, HBO.  So I've contacted each of them.  I believe this one channel is a stalking horse bu HBO to see if they can please the DHCP advocates and take away something we've always had - to see how much blowback they get.  As such, I believe it's important to let them both Directv and HBO know that this change isn't invisible, and (for me at least) isn't acceptable. 

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dndell 

You might be right about a separate thread, though I believe my problem is the exact same one outlined by the first poster (though they do have just a single tv, I suppose).  What makes this important, though, is that component and HDMI have always worked flawlessly together for 2 TVs on all Directv channels, regardless of connection.  This issue is new, & as far as I can tell is unique to that one HBO channel HBOZHD.  I agree Directcv isn't responsible, per se, but I have no relationship with content creators - I do with Directv and, indirectly, HBO.  So I've contacted each of them.  I believe this one channel is a stalking horse bu HBO to see if they can please the DHCP advocates and take away something we've always had - to see how much blowback they get.  As such, I believe it's important to let them both Directv and HBO know that this change isn't invisible, and (for me at least) isn't acceptable. 

Best to start a new thread.  Your issue may be due to HDCP copy protection on those HBO channels. 

milehighxr

I have been seeing this error as well(only when changing to movie channels), though it disappears before I can finish reading it. My TV a Panasonic CT-36HL43G, and is in fact HDCP compliant when used with the DVI input(as I am doing). So am I getting this message because DVI is not a 2 way communication, or because there is a delay, between the channel being changed, and the DVR realizing it is connected to an HDCP device? This started happening about 3 months ago(what changed?) I have a DTV HR22(for 2 yrs+ now and never saw this message before), connected to a Pioneer VSX 1020(by HDMI) which is then feeding the TV through the DVI connection(the best one the TV has according to it's manual). Like I said, this is recent, and seems to only appear when changing to a movie channel. I guess I just wanna make sure I'm getting the HD that I am paying for...

peds48

have you tried bypassing your Pioneer AV receiver

milehighxr

Why on earth would I do that? It is the only way to get a digital HD signal and the digital sound. The receiver is also HDCP compliant according to the manual. So bypassing it has "what to do with the price of tea in China?"

jimmie57
    Quote:    Originally Posted by milehighxr

I have been seeing this error as well(only when changing to movie channels),though it disappears before I can finish reading it.My TV a Panasonic CT-36HL43G, and is in fact HDCP compliant when used with the DVI input(as I am doing). So am I getting this message because DVI is not a 2 way communication, or because there is a delay, between the channel being changed, and the DVR realizing it is connected to an HDCP device? This started happening about 3 months ago(what changed?) I have a DTV HR22(for 2 yrs+ now and never saw this message before), connected to a Pioneer VSX 1020(by HDMI) which is then feeding the TV through the DVI connection(the best one the TV has according to it's manual). Like I said, this is recent, and seems to only appear when changing to a movie channel. I guess I just wanna make sure I'm getting the HD that I am paying for...

If it is disappearing and the Movie plays you do not have a problem, except for the slow channel change and the handshake time to verify that the units are HDCP compliant.

You might try going into Settings, Display and set only the 1080i resolution and turn Native to OFF to try to speed up the channel changes. This might eliminate the slow change and the message.

There have been a lot of posters that have had this being caused by their AV receivers.

Bypassing it for a test is an easy quick test to see if the problem is in the TC, The Cable or the AV receiver.

You can thank the Movie producers for the message. It has been forced on all of the companies that are sending out their material.

The DTV receivers have an optical connection or a digital coax connection or both for digital sound. I use the optical cables on my systems.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by milehighxr 

Why on earth would I do that? 

Because this is how he trouble shooting process works, ie process of elimination.  By eliminating the AV receiver, you may be able to find out the culprit.  Is your choice of course!

ps64

I got the ext. 900 message for the first time yesterday.  Called Tech Support and was told that I had to remove the HDMI cables.  I refused to give up HDMI since it has worked for years and my Blu-Ray and Playstation 3 are routed through an Onkyo A/V Receiver to the TV and all would be stuck with component signal.  He agreed to ship a new HR24 but he doesn't think that will solve the problem.  I was thinking that DirecTV make a copy protection change since only HBO, Cinemax, Stars, and Encore channels were blocked.  Showtime, Movie Channel, and the HD Extra channels still came through.  No problem with my other TV attached to a HR44 Genie.  I was able to playback the HBO recording from my HR24 to my other TV okay.

Accepting that maybe there was a problem with either the HDMI cable from my HR24 to the A/V Receiver or from the A/V Receiver to the TV, I decided to directly connect the HR24 to the TV.  I tuned the HR24 to channel 501 and got the ext. 900 message.  Then I unplugged the A/V Receiver to TV cable first.  Then when I was unplugging the cable on the HR24, I got the wrong cable and unplugged the USB cable that feeds the AM21 Off-Air Tuner.  I immediately heard dialog from the movie playing on HBO.  I plugged the HDMI cable from the TV back into the A/V Receiver and had picture.  I plugged the USB cable back in and still received picture.  I moved the USB cable to the USB port on the front of the HR24, rebooted the HR24, and received the ext 900 message for a second or two then the message went away and stayed away.

I have no idea what the USB port and the AM21 have to do with the HR24 thinking that HDCP is failing but they are clearly involved in this problem.  Maybe Tech Support should ask ext 900 callers if they have an AM21 or anything else connected to the DirecTV Receiver USB ports.

dcd

A couple of points.  You are piggy backing onto a thread that is going on two years old.  Rather than putting all readers out by forcing them to read all the old posts, a nice fresh post would be the right thing to do.

The movie channels that usually broadcast in HD have been slowly adding HDCP coding to their movies.  If your AVR and/or TV is more than a couple of years old there is a good chance one or the other is not compliant.  Those with fully compliant equipment never seem to post as having the 900 message.  I suppose anything is possible in regards the AM21 and the HDCP situation, but I can't see how right off the bat.  Some of the fault messages can be "gotten around" by fiddling with the system, but in those cases the message will soon pop up again.