12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2012 6:48 AM by dcd RSS

Cannot connect to internet with HR24-500

ronsch

Using wired mode rj45 from Linksys router to HR24-500 .Error 86-674, ip address defaults to 169.254.5.154. Also port light on router does not light up.

Router ports work fine with laptop??

• Re: Cannot connect to internet with HR24-500
    dcd

The HR24 comes default with the Ethernet port disabled.  To enable it, connect the Ethernet cable to an open port of the router and the HR24 then do a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR.  That will activate the port.

ronsch

Thanks Darrell,

I tried it this morning and it found the router immediately. Did I miss this in the literature somewhere or is it a secret?

I appreciate your help.

Take care..

• Re: Cannot connect to Internet with HR24-500
    dcd

You're more than welcome. This situation is not covered in the literature as far as I know. When the HR24 was released we urged Directv to put a sticker with instructions on the Ethernet port. They declined to do so and I and the other folks have been writing this advice every since.

The HR24 was designed with the Whole Home DVR feature in mind and in that application, the Ethernet port is never used. Rather the Internet connection is made via the coax cable and that's where the Ethernet circuits are assigned in the default condition.  Should you ever get Whole Home, remove the Ethernet cable and do another reset and the assignment will be restored to default.

ronsch

Thanks that's very useful to know because I was think ing adding Whole Home DVR. I think I have everything required....H24, HR24, and a SWiM. Right now I'm playing around with the On-Demand stuff.

Thanks...Take care...

ronsch

So if the coax cable is used for the internet connection, how does it connect to my network??

dcd

The Whole Home system uses the DECA (Directv Ethernet Coax Adapter) technology in order to stream programming from a HD DVR to another HD DVR or HD receiver. It does this by creating an Ethernet channel (in addition to the 8 SWM programming channels) within the coax and all communication takes place via that single wire. In order to connect that "channel" to a router, a DECA BB adapter is used. The coax from the SWM splitter is fed to the adapter and a short Ethernet jumper connects the adapter to the router. The glory of this system is that the single connection will connect all of the HD boxes in the system to the router.

ronsch

Thanks... After speaking with two customer service folks I finally got one to activate my WHDVR service. They wanted me to pay $199 to have someone come over and do nothing. So I am up and running except for On-Demand. I guess I need the DECA BB module. They said that they would send me one for $25 plus $49 for a truck roll in install.

I said I would install it myself....She said nope.

So I'll keep calling until I get someone to send me one..

Thanks...

dcd

They may not ever send one for self install because that item is coded for an installer.  I'd buy it over the counter if it were me.  Here is one source that Google turned up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-DECA-BB1MR0-01-INTERNET-BROAD-BAND-ADAPTER-MRV-/130492619291

ronsch

I guess it depends who you speak with at Directv. They are shipping one out today for self installation for $25.

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

Have a great Day

dcd

Good for you, appears you found a cooperative one, price is great as well.

jetilley

Darrel..... I'm having the trouble that one other had except I wireless. I tried another 2WIRE modem and lost everything! Shoud I try a DVR reset also?????? Thanks, Jack

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jtilley 

Darrel..... I'm having the trouble that one other had except I wireless. I tried another 2WIRE modem and lost everything! Shoud I try a DVR reset also?????? Thanks, Jack

A DVR reset is akin to restarting a computer so can be done at most any time safely.  As to your specific problem, you'd be better off starting a fresh thread and describing your setup in detail.  Wireless, Whole Home and other factors significantly alter the connection sequence so we need details to advise you.