34 Replies Latest reply: Apr 27, 2012 1:55 PM by joesch RSS

How do I transfer HR22-100 recorded programs to DVD's for watching on a PC?

dubob

I wiil obviously have to buy a compatible HD DVD Recorder/Player or BlueRay R/P to do this.  So my question is this; have any of you found and used a compatible R/P to actually do this?  And if so, what was the brand and model?

• Re: How do I transfer HR22-100 recorded programs to DVD's for watching on a PC?
    peds48

you would do this the same way you would do as if you were copying to a VCR.  the content won't be HD though

• Re: How do I transfer HR22-100 recorded programs to DVD's for watching on a PC?
    dubob
    Just found this information that seems to disagree. I'm not an expert in this area, so can shed some light on this?
    Quote:   Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder
    With the Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder, converting and archiving your favorite home movies to DVD is simple. You can also experience your DVD movie collection in near HD quality with the Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder's 1080p upconversion via HDMI®. One Touch Recording on this Toshiba DR430 DVD Recorder makes recording your favorite show simple. Just connect your DVD recorder to your cable or satellite box and you are set to record with the push of one button!

Video upconversion up to 1080p takes your current DVDs to a new level, for an amazing viewing experience on today's HDTVs. Multi-Format Recording and Playback provides the utmost in recording media convenience with compatibility with the most popular formats (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW).

tigerjohn

Simple... you RECORD at DVD resolution

>1080p upconversion via HDMI

You PLAY at "near HD quality" by means of an "upconversion" process inside the box... IF your TV has an HDMI connection

Nowhere does it say you may record BluRay (true HiDef) on a DVD

ALSO... be aware that some (most?) DVD recorders will NOT record if the original recording on your DVR has a "do not record" flag

dubob

Thank you for the explination.  No problem with the flag.  All i want to do is get all the 1 to 2 years old news reports my wife insists on keeping until see can transcribe them off the DVR.  Then she can do it on her PC.  I don't know why DIRECTV can't mod thier boxes to just download the recordings to a PC direct via wifi or ethernet connections.

DIRECTV says you can record to an external hard drive.  Can you then connect that external drive to a PC and play the recordings on the PC?

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dubob 

DIRECTV says you can record to an external hard drive.  Can you then connect that external drive to a PC and play the recordings on the PC?

Nope.  Recordings on the drive are encrypted to the DVR hardware.  Can't be exported anywhere. 

tigerjohn

No, and No

DirecTV will never "mod" their boxes to allow transferring their recordings to a PC, since DTV is a follower of DRM (Digital Rights Management) which is imposed by the Movie Studios and TV Networks specifically to not allow copying their content

DTV does write that content to the hard drive in your DVR, but only for playback to a TV, not to a computer

All recordings are encrypted to the DVR that made the recording (a "code chip" on the DVR motherboard) so not only may you not play external drive recordings on a PC, you may not even connect that drive to a different DVR and play the recording

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by tigerjohn 

Simple... you RECORD at DVD resolution

>1080p upconversion via HDMI

recording via HDMI is not possible

dubob

Anybody have a recommendation for a DVD recorder/player compatible with the HR22?

litzdog911

Any DVD Recorder/Player will be compatible with the HR22.  I suggest you check out the appropriate Forum at http://www.avsforum.com where you can find recommendations and ask questions. 

dubob

Thank you all for the help.

dcd

Dubob is right to be concerned, at least in my opinion.  User djdicetn, who records mountains of programming, tells me that some DVD recorders have a super sensitive copy protection system which makes them impossible to use for this purpose.

dubob

Would the Toshiba D-R560 fall into that group.  It is highly rated by Consumer Reports.  However, the references to it on the AVS Forums are from 2008.

joed32

I do a ton of recording from DVRs to DVD recorders and I would recommend either Magnavox or Panasonic recorders over the Toshibas because both have more flexibility in recording times. If that doesn't matter to you then the Toshiba would be fine. 

dubob

Would you have any model name/numbers handy for either make?

joed32

They sell Magnavox and Toshiba On-line from walmart, You would need to look on Amazon for other brands. I really like this little workhorse, I'm using several of them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-ZC320MW8B-DVD-Recorder-with-Line-In-Recording/17337718

joed32
    Quote:    Originally Posted by joed32 

They sell Magnavox and Toshiba On-line from walmart, You would need to look on Amazon for other brands. I really like this little workhorse, I'm using several of them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-ZC320MW8B-DVD-Recorder-with-Line-In-Recording

This is a newer model than the ones I have but  seems to be the same.

conexxio

i use Hauppage to clear my DVR's. the HD DVR lets you transfer to your hard drive your recordings. This way you can check your recordings whenever you want. If you want to record in a dvd you can do in a regular DVD and the quality is HD. Good Luck

tigerjohn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by conexxio 
     If you want to record in a dvd you can do in a regular DVD and the quality is HD. Good Luck

Not possible... a DVD records at 720x480, which is SD, NOT High Definition... you must use BluRay to record full HD

As discussed up thread, an upconverting player may make SD look "almost" like HD, but a DVD is SD, not HD

conexxio
    The dvd's are only a recording support, they don't have a established format. Go to Hauppage HD PVR. I record in HD more than a year ago. In 13.5 Mb it looks perfect.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    dubob

I don't have a clue what this actually means, but here are the recording specs for the HD PVR.

Quote:  

Recording format:

• up to 1080i from component video (YCrCb or YPrPb)
    • NTSC: 720p60, 1080i60, 480i60, 480p60
    • PAL: 720p50, 1080i50, 576p50, 576i50, 480p50, 480i50
      Note: the video input format determines the recorded format. For example, 1080i input records at 1080i, 720P records at 720P, etc. Any other format conversions needs to be done with the MediaConvert program (supplied).

It appears to me that it says it can record in HD. But I don't know what NTSC or PAL means with regard to recording.

joed32

It can record in HD on it's hard drive. Just can't export it because no DVD recorders will accept it. The "News reports" that you want to record can be recorded in 480p on a DVD recorder then played back on an upscaling DVD player and will look pretty good. About the same as A purchased DVD, Depending upon the quality of the original material.

conexxio
    NTSC and PAL are the systems that the networks use according to what the country decide the system is going to use. USA. Is NTSC                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    conexxio
    Wrong again. You put your movies in the hard drive and then you record in the recorder of your computer. You decide the format regular DVD or blue ray. Anyway is HD. The only limitation is if you record as a blue ray it is only going to be played in a Blue Ray player.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    tigerjohn

If you have a recorder that will write High Definition to a DVD, that is fine... just do not expect that DVD to play in a regular DVD player, because it will not... the data rate for HD is too high for a regular DVD player

Link to DVD Demystified FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/544206

onephat66

Ok, just want to double check some info put out on this post.....  I have an HR24-200 (terrible receiver by the way) that I want to replace with a different model/brand, SOON!  But, I do not want to lose all the programs I have on my current receiver when I send this one back to DirecTv, so if I'm understanding correctly, I can not transfer my shows to an external hard drive then transfer back to my new hard drive once I install it?  DirecTv said I can, but not too sure after seeing what you guys are saying about transferring data.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by onephat66 

Ok, just want to double check some info put out on this post.....  I have an HR24-200 (terrible receiver by the way) that I want to replace with a different model/brand, SOON!  But, I do not want to lose all the programs I have on my current receiver when I send this one back to DirecTv, so if I'm understanding correctly, I can not transfer my shows to an external hard drive then transfer back to my new hard drive once I install it?  DirecTv said I can, but not too sure after seeing what you guys are saying about transferring data.

no way to transfer show digitally.  (bit by bit).  the HR24 is the latest HDDVR.  what model are you trying to get?  all DirecTV are the same "brand"  although they are made by different manufactures under the same specifications.

joed32

I thought he was talking about the Directv DVR, not the Haupage which I know nothing about.

tigerjohn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by onephat66 

As far as I know, all recordings are encrypted and will play only on the DVR used to make the recording... there is a "code chip" on the motherboard that is used for the encryption decryption process (I don't know the exact name of the hardware on the motherboard, hence the " ")

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by tigerjohn 
    Quote:

As far as I know, all recordings are encrypted and will play only on the DVR used to make the recording... there is a "code chip" on the motherboard that is used for the encryption decryption process (I don't know the exact name of the hardware on the motherboard, hence the " ")

spot on.  the recordings on a DVR are "married" to the receiver that made the recording and only that receiver will be able to play it back.

joesch

I think some folks are getting HD confused with 16x9 format that fills the screen with an image.  DVD's do not support the HD format however they do support the 16x9 video size.  The lines of resolution are less than true HD however they typically look good enough to most people.  Those folks who demand true HD recordings will be able to save them on a DVD but in a mt2s (if I got that correct) streaming format but that encoding typically needs to be done by a computer and can only be played on a computer or certain Blu-Ray players or gaming consoles.  I have saved Avatar to a dual layer DVD in this format, somewhat compressed from it's original format but all I can say is I could not tell the difference.  That was a compression from ~34GB down to just under 9GB.  I'm sure there are flaws if you analyzed it but to most people it would be fine.

yrrah

SOOO, Is it or is'nt it possible to hard connect my dvr to an external hard drive OR directly to my laptop.  If to the hard drive can I then can I burn dvds thrrough my laptop.  Direct TV advertises adding an external hard drive to increase recording space

dubob

I’m not the expert on this, but from what has been posted already I would say that yes you can connect an external hard drive to the DVR. However, it replaces the drive in the DVR and you can only access the external drive as long as it is connected to the DVR. And anything you record on the external drive is readable ONLY by the DVR you are connected too.

In other words, you can’t record on it, disconnect it, take to your friend’s house and connect it to his DVR, and then watch what you recorded at your friend’s house.

Also, while it is connected to your DVR, you can only transfer the recorded shows to DVD through a compatible DVD recorder (a couple have already been listed above). Then you can play the DVD on your computer. And you cannot, at this time, buy publicly available recorders capable of producing HD DVDs. Does that make sense?

joesch
    Quote:    Originally Posted by yrrah 

SOOO, Is it or is'nt it possible to hard connect my dvr to an external hard drive OR directly to my laptop.  If to the hard drive can I then can I burn dvds thrrough my laptop.  Direct TV advertises adding an external hard drive to increase recording space

You can connect an external hard drive to the eSATA connector which can increase recording space.  This doesn't mean you can copy recordings from the internal drive to the external drive.  It merely replaces your internal drive functionally.

If you actually read the previous postings you would see that the recordings are encrypted which has been true since the DirecTv DVR hit the scenes.  So if you record a show on the external drive and hook it up to a computer, and if you decrypted the recording then you would have something.  If you are able to decrypt the recording then post it so we all could do it.  I think it's stupid to encrypt every recording.  Paid movies are one thing but all other free over the air or cable shouldn't be but that is my opinion.