62 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 11:44 PM by litzdog911 RSS

DirecTV RVU Support Samsung TV

barnett03

I'm considering getting a Samsung UN40EH6000 TV from Best Buy. I am wondering if this TV would support DirecTV RVU technology for connecting the HR-34 to the TV via coax-cable. I haven't been able to find any definitive answers on the web and was wondering if somebody could confirm that this TV does in fact support RVU.

Thanks,

-Ryan

• Re: DirecTV RVU Support Samsung TV
    peds48

no

barnett03

Thanks for the quick response. What about the Samsung UN40D6000? I believe this one is support but I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

-Ryan

irishntn
    I beleive that the TV that the OP post in the 2nd post should work fine. They have differnet sizes for the D6000 series and after a bit of google searches that one should work fine. If the OP wants to double make sure and post back there results I would recommend contact Samsung tech support to clarify those finding.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    heath1500

FYI, barnett...it will take a little more than just a coaz connections. You'll need a BB DECA for the samsung TV

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by heath1500 

FYI, barnett...it will take a little more than just a coaz connections. You'll need a BB DECA for the samsung TV

I believe Heath meant to say a DECA module.  The DECA BB is for connecting the Whole Home system to the router.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DECA1MR01&d=DIRECTV-Ethernet-Coax-Adapter-DECA--(DECA1MR01)

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heath1500 

I believe Heath meant to say a DECA module.  The DECA BB is for connecting the Whole Home system to the router.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=DECA1MR01&d=DIRECTV-Ethernet-Coax-Adapter

Actually it could be either.  But DirecTV is using the DECA BB as an RVU client connection.  Also an straight up ethernet cable, if available can be used as well

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Actually it could be either.  But DirecTV is using the DECA BB as an RVU client connection.  Also an straight up ethernet cable, if available can be used as well

The only connection to the TV would be the Ethernet jumper from the DECA BB?  Or, an Ethernet feed from the HR34?

barnett03

Thanks for all of the responses. Another question I have related to RVU, is does anybody have first hand experience with using this? I have read in the blog posted above that the remote controller can be a bit unresponsive, has this proven to be true? If this is the case then would it just be better to go w/ a set top?

Finally, with RVU, does this allow for pausing of Live TV which is what I would be missing out if I when w/ a HD receiver connected to the HR-34?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

The only connection to the TV would be the Ethernet jumper from the DECA BB?  Or, an Ethernet feed from the HR34?

because DirecTV does not run ethernet cable only coax, a DECA BB  connects the RVU TV to the customer router, thus an ethernet cable from the customer router to an RVU TV will do the same job as having a DECA BB.  note that this relies that the HR34 MUST be connected to the internet (router) from the RVU client TV to work.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by barnett03 

Finally, with RVU, does this allow for pausing of Live TV which is what I would be missing out if I when w/ a HD receiver connected to the HR-34?

Yes.

barnett03

because DirecTV does not run ethernet cable only coax, a DECA BB  connects the RVU TV to the customer router, thus an ethernet cable from the customer router to an RVU TV will do the same job as having a DECA BB.  note that this relies that the HR34 MUST be connected to the internet (router) from the RVU client TV to work.

Does this mean that RVU with a supported TV doesn't work over coax and SWiM?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by barnett03 
    Quote:

Does this mean that RVU with a supported TV doesn't work over coax and SWiM?

Yes.  you have to understand that what DirecTV uses (DECA) which is a "cousin" of MoCA is networking with coax instead of ethernet.  all of DECA devices (assuming your DirecTV system is connected to the internet) winds up to the same place, your router, using coax instead of ethernet cable.  the TV RVU "input" is through its networking interface.  But DirecTV does not run ethernet cables so they use a DECA BB to "convert" the coax ethernet signals to the known ethernet or RJ45 connector that your TV uses.

pshuman

Hey barnett03,

The UN40EH6000 is a 2012 model as identified by CNET here http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366966-221/samsung-tvs-2012-micro-dimming-leds-blacker-plasmas-gesture-control/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=embed at CES this year Samsung announced that ALL 2012's will come with the "boxless" RVU technology built in http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57356230/take-that-dish-samsung-directv-partner-on-boxless-dvr-streaming/?part=rss&subj=crave&tag=readMore

With that being said I purchased a UN55ES6150 (2012) from Costco last week for $1649 and do not see any reference to RVU or the ability to set up a RVU client. I called Samsung and as you might expect the rep really knew nothing about RVU as is the case with DTV, I asked if my new set was compatible with RVU and she NO. She did mention about a set in the 7000 series as being compatible but I didn't take this too seriously.

I believe the CNET articles above and I think we will see more info in the next few month's, I am holding off for now on getting DTV to roll a truck to my place to get the HR34 set up..

irishntn
    pshuman

I beleive the reason behind not seeing anything for rvu is that you must first have your rvu compatible TV connected to your internet and download the latest firmware. After the latest firmware is installed then if it is truly compatible you will see it under your settings I believe.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    bmmarly

I have a Direct TV HR34 and Samsung 40D6000 hooked up as a RVU.....works like a charm (other than remote response slow, a well known issue).

I have read numerous posts on various forums indicating ALL 2012 Smart TVs will have RVU capability....that was my understanding too from CES.

Now I'm not so sure! Just bought a UN46ES6100, hooked up, made sure has latest firmware, go to sources menu, no RVU! Strange, can't figure it out.

Get on Samsung chat, agent seems to research thoroughly and comes back and says their internal database indicates only these 2012 models have RVU capability; EH5300, ES6500, ES6600! My new 2012 Smart TV is NOT RVU capable! Of course he won't send me any document to validate it.

Anyone else heard/experienced this issue...I think the agent may be correct? And of course the Samsung website is weeks/months behind the eight ball as always, so no use at all!

bmmarly

Just received this from Samsung:

We understand you would like to know the TV model numbers compatible with RVU feature.

The compatible models with RVU feature are:

UN**EH5300, UN**ES6500, UN55ES6600 with any firmware version installed on them.

UN**D6000, UN**D6400, UN**D6420 with 1025.0 firmware version installed on them.

xwhizx

While Samsung may say these are compatible, I want to know what DirecTV says. I think they are the ultimate source.

I need to buy (2) TVs, one being an RVU set, and I don't think I can commit the EH or ES series without knowing they work.

Can anyone prove or disprove they work with RVU on DirecTV?

bmmarly

I ordered a 46ES6500 just now, will be here and hooked up as RVU....will post result late pm tomorrow 

xwhizx

I ordered the 55ES6500 today. Should have it in within a week. However, I have ethernet ran throughout my entire house, so I'm going to try and hook this up without the additional BB DECA box. All of my DirecTV boxes run through the same router/network.

I will report as well if this works.

bmmarly

I currently have a 40D6000 functioning as a RVU.  It is hooked up to the LAN using a cat5, no DECA on the TV, and no other cables...very clean, easy solution.  It works flawlessly....only complaint is the remote response is very slow using the Samsung TV remote.  I had Direct TV send me a RVU remote (RC-70X).  Not sure if that will resolve this issue or not.  Will post when I receive and test it.

barnett03
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bmmarly 

I currently have a 40D6000 functioning as a RVU.  It is hooked up to the LAN using a cat5, no DECA on the TV, and no other cables...very clean, easy solution.  It works flawlessly....only complaint is the remote response is very slow using the Samsung TV remote.  I had Direct TV send me a RVU remote (RC-70X).  Not sure if that will resolve this issue or not.  Will post when I receive and test it.

I was wondering how well over CAT5 not using DECA because I really don't want to have to have a DECA box. The remote responsiveness is my only concern since I'm going to be using quite a bit. Hopefully with the DirecTV remote it will help fix some of the problems. Please let me know when you get one of those remotes.

bmmarly

So, I hook up my new ES6500, update firmware, check sources, guess what....no RVU source!!

Call Samsung support, get escalated to RVU Engineering.  After a short wait to research, he comes back with a new "definitive" statement from Samsung on 2012 Smart TV/RVU capability:

"None of the 2012 Smart TVs have RVU capable firmware at this time.  We are working on it and will roll it out to all 2012 Smart TVs at some point in the future, but there is no information on when that might be"

How hard can this be!  What a cluster in terms of communications of product features.

So now it's a wait and see on new firmware!

xwhizx

Well, I'm hooking mine up tonight, but I don't feel very optimistic now.

xwhizx

Mine did not work either. Called DirecTV and the firmware on mine is 1009, the highest it can go. DirecTV mention that it needs to be higher to support RVU.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by whiz 

DirecTV mention that it needs to be higher to support RVU.

DirecTV has nothing to do with this.  see post # 24

audiox99

I just got done chatting with a Samsung agent about the 2012 models available and here is what he said:

Danny: I see that the following 2012 models have RVU feature for direct TV:

Danny: UN**EH5300, UN**ES6500 and UN55ES6600.

Danny: Yes, soon a firmware update will be released.

Danny: After the firmware update all the TVs can have RVU feature for direct TV.

Can anyone with a listed model confirm that the RVU is enabled and working?

Thanks!!

bmmarly

The latest update I believe is 1015, issued Jun 15.  This does NOT have RVU support.  The whole thing is just pathetic.  I lost patience and picked up 2 of their 2011 models that work flawlessly as RVU devices.  Pretty bad when you have to backtrack to an older TV to get the functionality promised on all 2012 Smart TVs.  Samsung has no credibility on this stuff.  They created all this buzz at CES and totally failed to deliver on promised functionality. 

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bmmarly 

They created all this buzz at CES and totally failed to deliver on promised functionality. 

right on.

bk2boarder

So i am thinking of purchasing the Samsung UN40d6000 series television to take advantage of the RVU technology. I have the new Home Media Center box hooked up to my new Samsung UN46ES6500 television. If i have the router below hooked up by the 6000 series television and have an Ethernet cord connecting them. And then i have this wireless extender below connected to the Home Media center, will it work? Or do i have to have either an ethernet or coax cable spanning the gap??

Router,  http://netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR4000.aspx#

Wireless Extender,  http://netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2000RPT.aspx#

Thanks, Brett

litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by bk2boarder  

So i am thinking of purchasing the Samsung UN40d6000 series television to take advantage of the RVU technology. I have the new Home Media Center box hooked up to my new Samsung UN46ES6500 television. If i have the router below hooked up by the 6000 series television and have an Ethernet cord connecting them. And then i have this wireless extender below connected to the Home Media center, will it work? Or do i have to have either an ethernet or coax cable spanning the gap??

Router,  http://netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR4000.aspx#

Wireless Extender,  http://netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN2000RPT.aspx#

Thanks, Brett

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

rdwc

Hi all,

I found this page after talking to Samsung for 2 hours and the Directv for an hour. I had a UN40D6000 Samsung and this worked after firmware update with my HR34 on RVU source input. The TV had issues so I needed to replace it. I talked to Samsung 3 separate times. All 3 times they gave the same response. Here is a Quote from them...

"I have checked the information and see that UN55ES6600, UN40ES6500 and UN40EH5300 are the 2012 model TVs which supportRVUfeature."

And another: "Yes, Samsung model UN40ES6500 is compatible with theRVUcapability."

So I went ahead and bought a UN40ES6500. Big Mistake. Do not trust Samsung. They have no idea what they are talking about here. Directv just told me that no 2012 Samsung TV's are currently RVU compatible. The ball is completely in Samsung's court no matter what they say. One samsung rep told me that Directv had not released the "codes" to allow the 2012 TV's to work yet. Directv said they do not know what they are talking about RVU is active and Samsung needs to allow that functionality.

Here is what I know about RVU. it will require the 1025 firmware seems like on the 2012 TV's yet. No one knows when this will happen.

Ethernet will work just fine. I have my HR34 hooked up to a switch and same with TV. That is all you need. If you do not have Ethernet then you need Deca over coax. Wireless will not work.

I just wish samsung would not be coy about this and tell people that RVU is available and then backtrack and say it is not ready yet. Really annoying. Now I have to spend a few hundred to get a HDMI over Ethernet and activate another receiver.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rdwc 

Hi all,

why not use DECA over coax as a temporary solution until Samsung releases the RVU firmware to its 2012 smart TV line up?

rdwc
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdwc 

Hi all,

why not use DECA over coax as a temporary solution until Samsung releases the RVU firmware to its 2012 smart TV line up?

Dude, If I had wanted to use DECA I would have just bought another TV.  The whole point of this thread is that Samsung said RVU would work on their 2012 TV's and it does not.  Either DECA or HDMI over Ethernet which I am using requires another piece of equipment adn thus another expense that could have been spared had Samsung been honest or gotten their act together with their products.

peds48

you still need an ethernet cable.  so... what is the difference a coax cable and ethernet cable?.....  you can easily "stick" a deca behind your TV.   But I agree, Samsung dropped the ball......

mattgt

Still waiting on a RVU compatibile firmware for the 2012 TVs... Firmware 1031 just came out July 17th. I thought yes! it's just past the 1024 that was required for last years TVs... maybe they stuck with the same firmware number / feature release... but nope. 1031.0 has no RVU support... STILL. This is crazy. Come on Samsung... DirecTV needs to push harder to get Samsung to release it.

Do we have a ETA/Status on the C30 RVU Client? I'm about to give up on Samsung at this point... Hoping that DirecTV can get their own RVU Client out soon...

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mattgt 

Do we have a ETA/Status on the C30 RVU Client? 

nope, nobody here knows.

rdwc
    Anyone see an update from Samsung? I had a recent firmware update but still no RVU.                                                                                                                                                                            
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rdwc 
    Anyone see an update from Samsung? I had a recent firmware update but still no RVU.

nope.  Best to check the Samsung forums.  

But DirecTV will soon have the C31s available, if they are not already in your market

browncd

So last night, after updating the firmware on my ES6500 I noticed "RVU" was now a source.  Went thru the PIN setup with the HR34 and was left with the "call DirecTV" prompt.  DirecTV is charging ~$50 to add the TV as an authorized device plus $6/mth. I have read all the posts complaining about the lag with the remote operation and decided to wait for a video review of a Samsung RVU setup.

Anyone got this setup running yet?  What are your thoughts?  Does an H25 work better that the RVU?

- Cory

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by browncd 

Does an H25 work better that the RVU?

- Cory

The H25 will only let you watch your recordings but would not give "full" DVR controls as any RVU client as your TV or DirecTV's C31 RVU client would.

browncd
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by browncd 

Does an H25 work better that the RVU?

- Cory

The H25 will only let you watch your recordings but would not give "full" DVR controls as any RVU client as your TV or DirecTV's C31 RVU client would.

The additional functionality is great.  Not having the same fidelity on the H25 as the HR34 is disappointing.  My primary question is on the responsiveness of the remote operation of the menus and guide.  I assume I would be using my Samsung remote as input.  

peds48
    .  I assume I would be using my Samsung remote as input.   

While you can use your Samsung remote, I believe your remote does not have all the functions available if you were to order the DirecTV's Samsung RVU remote control R70 (R71).

bmmarly

I have had my HR34 and 3 RVUs (Samsung 2011 TV) for several months now.  Other than a glitch on the RVUs from a software update to the HR34, the entire setup has worked very well.  As mentioned above the functionality of the RVU is way better than the H25 (particularly pausing live TV).  Two of my RVUs are on the patio, 50-100 feet from the HR34 and SWM16.  Being able to hook those up with one cat5, instead of running coax or using baluns was great.  The Samsung remote isn't super responsive, however you get used to it quickly and it's fine.  I have tried on three occasions to have D* ship me a RVU remote.  They always say they will do it, but yet to receive one. 

paulj

It looks like the UN**EH5300 is the least expensive RVU equipped panel, can anybody confirm that the 5300 has RVU?  Also, this is for the bedroom, can you hook up a headset to it?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by paulj 

It looks like the UN**EH5300 is the least expensive RVU equipped panel, can anybody confirm that the 5300 has RVU?  Also, this is for the bedroom, can you hook up a headset to it?

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you. 

browncd

DTV says that RVU service requires firmware v.1025.  My ES6500 is only up to 1024, although I do see an RVU as a source.  Anyone have RVU running on v.1024?  Additionally, 6500 is not listed as a compatible model.

paulj

DTV says that RVU service requires firmware v.1025.  My ES6500 is only up to 1024, although I do see an RVU as a source.  Anyone have RVU running on v.1024?  Additionally, 6500 is not listed as a compatible model.

I haven't found DirecTV to be a reliable source of information, so I was hoping that somebody here can confirm.

peds48

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you. 

rad
    Quote:    Originally Posted by paulj 

I got this response from Samsung today:

"We are sorry for the confusion and misinformation you were given in the last e-mail. The list of RVU compatible devices was released to us before the UN40EH5300FXZA was being manufactured. All 2012 Smart TVs will be RVU compatible. We are told that this firmware update will be released by the end of the year however they have not yet given us a specific date of when this will be sent out to our customers. We apologize for any frustration this has caused. "

So assuming that Samsung does follow through and add a client to the 5300's the next question is will DIRECTV support them as a client?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rad 

So assuming that Samsung does follow through and add a client to the 5300's the next question is will DIRECTV support them as a client?

DirecTV supports any RVU client 

rad
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rad 

DirecTV supports any RVU client 

Well, lets see how that goes. I have a UN40EH5300, it's got the latest Samsung firmware installed on it and I have a HR34. Yesterday DIRECTV tech was out to install a DECA-BB on it and connect it to the SWiM network and had a RVU client added to the account. The HR34 shows up in the source list on the TV and when its selected you get a message "This location not authorized" and if you wait long enough eventually you get a DIRECTV screen saver floating around on the screen.

The tech talked to two folks back in his office and the two different DIRECTV support techs and the answer always came back that all DIRECTV supports now is the three 6000 series for model year 2011 and that was that.

peds48

how many clients do you  currently have?  and how many clients are authorized on your account? verify by going to your DirecTV.com account

rad

how many clients do you  currently have?  and how many clients are authorized on your account? verify by going to your DirecTV.com account

That's not the issue, I've checked. Even if it was wrong you'd still be given the chance to do a replace client on the HR34. 

peds48

you can't replace a client if you don't have one.  how many clients do you currently have?

philipp

you still need an ethernet cable.  so... what is the difference a coax cable and ethernet cable?.....  you can easily "stick" a deca behind your TV.   But I agree, Samsung dropped the ball......

You can? You sure?

I used structured wiring and smurf hose between the back of my TV (wall mounted) and the media closet, and put Ethernet and HDMI only to that location, being reasonably confident that it would be sufficient.

It seems to be the conceit of DirecTV that coax is the end-all-be-all of cabling solutions. It's not. I can run Ethernet, telephony, security controls, line-out, SPDIF, even HDMI over CAT-5e (it requires 2 cables, but it's doable)... so that's what I did.

My home is cabled with 64 gigabit Ethernet ports, but only 3 SWIM outlets.

Clearly CAT-5e is the preferred transport for most people. 

Forcing us to use Coax and MoCA when we already have an abundance of CAT-5 and Ethernet is not customer-friendly.

"When all you have is a hammer..."

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by philipp 

It seems to be the conceit of DirecTV 

is not only DirecTV but every single pay TV provider requires coax at least to the "server" So  guess you have to get  with the game

philipp
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipp 

is not only DirecTV but every single pay TV provider requires coax at least to the "server" So  guess you have to get  with the game

(1) I wasn't disputing coax to the server, but thought requiring coax to the RVU's was over-the-top. (2) AT&T Universe runs over an IP transport (including 4G and G.PON), so your statement would seem to be prima face incorrect.

west99999tech

You having your house wired this way is very rare. Most people don't have your setup but Majority has coax. Both work but majority wins. Most techs would not even know how to get you setup using your ethernet because DTV doesn't train them on this setup.

peds48
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipp 

(1) I wasn't disputing coax to the server, but thought requiring coax to the RVU's was over-the-top. (2) AT&T Universe runs over an IP transport (including 4G and G.PON), so your statement would seem to be prima face incorrect.

if you have RVU TV's you can connect them with ethernet, coax is only required to the DirecTV RVU clients or "mini Genies"

philipp
    Quote:    Originally Posted by west99999 

You having your house wired this way is very rare. Most people don't have your setup but Majority has coax. Both work but majority wins. Most techs would not even know how to get you setup using your ethernet because DTV doesn't train them on this setup.

"Majority wins"?  It's not about "your way" versus "my way", it's about capturing market share.

Even if only 15% of homes were pre-cabled for Ethernet, would you be willing to throw away that entire 15%?

RVU runs over DTCP-IP, which is physical layer agnostic, as long as you have the bandwidth, reliability, and low-jitter. Why impose a restriction where none previously existed (because none was needed)?

litzdog911
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by west99999 

"Majority wins"?  It's not about "your way" versus "my way", it's about capturing market share.

Even if only 15% of homes were pre-cabled for Ethernet, would you be willing to throw away that entire 15%?

RVU runs over DTCP-IP, which is physical layer agnostic, as long as you have the bandwidth, reliability, and low-jitter. Why impose a restriction where none previously existed (because none was needed)?

It was simply DirecTV's decision.  You're free to debate it, but it won't do any good here.  We're all customers like you, so be sure to email your thoughts directly to DirecTV if you want them to be seen.