19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 5:18 AM by dielray RSS

Cable splitter

jessiefarland1971

I went to a job today to do a MRV upgrade, went to put a bb deca next to the hd/dvr in the livingroom and found a radio shack 5 to 900 mhz splitter that the hd/dvr was running through and working fine.  It was already a swim when i got there.  How is this possible?

• Re: Cable splitter
    peds48

while "basic" cable splitters might work sometimes, its reliability is not guaranteed, specially when DECA is in the mix.

pressureman0

wrong deca works at 475 to 625

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by pressureman0 

sorry buddy, you even have the frequency wrong.  DECA uses 525 to 575.  even though a "basic" cable splitter passes this frequencies, a SWM splitter has a "special" circuitry to prevent loss of DECA signals over the splitters.  this is why we MUST use the green label splitters as compared to the first gen of SWM splitters which lacked this circuitry.  before accusing some one of being wrong, learn your facts. no need to thank me for the lesson......

heath1500
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pressureman0 

sorry buddy, you even have the frequency wrong.  DECA uses 525 to 575.  even though a "basic" cable splitter passes this frequencies, a SWM splitter has a "special" circuitry to prevent loss of DECA signals over the splitters.  this is why we MUST use the green label splitters as compared to the first gen of SWM splitters which lacked this circuitry.  before accusing some one of being wrong, learn your facts. no need to thank me for the lesson......

Interesting. We are being told in training it is 475-625 as well.

litzdog911

Why would an installer want to use anything except an approved green label SWM splitter???

jessiefarland1971

I am not sure just found it there when i was working

texasbrit

DECA is definitely 525-575, although this might widen at the top end with future implementations. SWM is 974 to 1790. But just because a splitter is marked 5-900 does not mean that signals over 900 are automatically rejected. What typically happens is that higher frequency signals get greater loss, so in a installation that has plenty of signal, and does not split too many times, it still might work with SWM. But add another splitter,or with long cable runs, and you will probably see 771s. Definitely needed replacing!

pressureman0

sorry buddy 475 to 625 is right swm start at 976 add 102 for each channel get the fact then talk if you know 0 shut you mouth (call iss)

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by pressureman0 

sorry buddy 475 to 625 is right  (call iss)

are using ISS to base your facts?  Really.........???????

pressureman0

NO I LIKE YOU TO GET THE FACTS THEN TALK LIKE I SAID 475 TO 625 IS THE #'S GOD GAVE YOU 2 EARS 2 EYES 1 MOUTH  LEARN THE FACTS THEN TALK I'M SICK OF PEOPLE ON HERE TELLING OTHER PEOPLE NON FACTS OR WRONG INFO LIKE YOU. DECA RUN AT AGAIN 475 TO 625 MHZ THE SWM CHANNEL RUN STARTING AT 976 ADD 102 FOR EACH OF 9 CHANNELS 9 CHANNEL YES 9 CHANNELS 1 GOING TO THE LNB/SWM 8 TO RCVD

litzdog911

Wow, such EMOTION!  Yell

Actually SWM starts at 974MHz ....

http://www.satellitecabletvarlington.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Directv-SWM.jpg

And I've found conflicting references to point to DirecTV's DECA using either 475-625MHz and 525-575MHz.

west99999tech
    SWiM Integrated LNBs uses the frequency range
    974MHz * to 1790MHz for programming guide and content to the IRD tuner
    2.3MHz for communications between SWiM LNB and IRD
    SWiM assigns frequencies as specific “channels” to each tuner
    Up to a maximum of 8 channels are available
     SWiM LNB 5 orbital version
    A SWiM channel’s frequency is 100MHz wide
    Each tuner on an IRD requires one channel

An HD DVR IRD would require 2 channels

texasbrit

Thank you west, for confirming what I posted in the first place. And I have six references stating that DECA is 525-575, and one (from the MOCA alliance) stating that the lower limit of the technology is 500Mhz.

west99999tech

Let us look at the frequencies which are used with a SWiM

installation (Example 1), 2.3MHz is used for communications

between SWiM equipment. SWiM channels for guide data and

for receiver tuner channels are located between 974MHz and

1790MHz.

Connected Home product frequencies (Example 2) utilize the

frequency range of 475MHz thru 625MHz for recorded content

sharing between compliant receivers.

peds48

while The SWM environment allows for the 500-600MHz frequency range needed for the Coax Home Network, only 525 to 575 is being used currently.  I am done here.  can't deal with hard headed people.Yell

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/DECA%20First%20Look.pdf

west99999tech

Directv published material shows otherwise.Nobody being hardheaded here but why should you be correct when other material shows different info than you or dbstalk.com and I see nothing about 525-575 in your attachment maybe im overlooking it. only thing I see is 500-600mhz being blocked by a bandstop. This is DTV hardware so why would they post something "wrong" about their product?

Troubleshooting WholeHome

DVR

During WholeHome

DVR service calls, always check that the proper equipment has been installed and is

working as expected.

SWiM switches and SWiM LNBs must either be Green Label units, or they must have a Band Stop Filter

installed between them and the first splitter in the distribution.

Ensure there are no other signals diplexed onto the coax. This includes ATSC / Off‐Air antenna feeds and

Cable TV signals, either for video or broadband. Diplexing other signals onto the coax will produce

interference into the DECA networking band from 475 –625 MHz.

Band Stop Filters (BSFs) have been installed on all non‐MRV receivers –D12, R16 and H20 receivers.

Splitters and Power Inserters must all be Green‐Label units and all unused ports must be terminated.

DECAs have been installed on receivers that require them – HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, H21, H23 and R22

models all require DECAs for MRV to work properly.

When DECAs are used, the Ethernet cable should be plugged into thetop

Ethernet port.

DECAs havenot

been installed on receivers that have them built in – HR24 and H24 receivers must never

have a DECA installed.

Ethernet cables are not plugged into HR24 or H24 receivers. Plugging in an Ethernet cable disables the

directvgod
    You would be surprised at what SWiM would pass through.                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    pressureman0
    cause you wrong  Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

while The SWM environment allows for the 500-600MHz frequency range needed for the Coax Home Network, only 525 to 575 is being used currently.  I am done here.  can't deal with hard headed people.Yell

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/DECA%20First%20Look.pdf

dielray

Attached is the spectrum analysis of the MoCA Band. It was pulled from the service call certification, module 1, page 15. In this analysis of 475-625, 550-600 is being used. The 525-575 I see posted multiple times here has the same width. Perhaps the MoCA channel varies within the range of 475-625.