56 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 5:11 PM by peds48 RSS

Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)

bazinga

Sure could use some help here...

I am getting an occasional crackling sound (kind of sounds like the tweeters are blown on my speakers) coming from my center, left, and right channel speakers.  Lately (after the HD UI update) it has become more noticeable. 

This typically occurs when I am watching movies or programs in HD right when the action picks up.  Its even more noticeable when there is a scene with a lot of bass, like an explosion or crashing sound.  It almost makes me think that the DirecTV receiver is trying to convince my speakers that they should be playing bass frequencies through the tweeters. 

I have two home theater setups in my house.  One with a plasma TV and a high end Marantz receiver with new Polk speakers and the other in my basement with a projector, B&W speakers and another high end Marantz receiver.  Upstairs has a HR23-700 receiver, and downstairs I have a HR22-100 receiver.

This problem occurs on both setups.  I have even recorded shows where I have noticed the sound to see if it is there during play back.  This method makes it easy to reproduce the crackling by replaying the same section of video in either room with both setups.  My only common factor, other than DirecTV, is the Marantz receivers so I bypassed my upstairs receiver and played the sound through my TV speakers and again the crackling was there at the exact same spot it was when I heard it originally.

I have also done a lot of testing on both setups using a dedicated BluRay player and a PS3.  Both of those provide crystal clear audio without any distortion, crackling, or pooping.

Going even one step further I am also able to reproduce this when I play back the video I recorded using the DirecTV2PC feature.  I attached a audio clip from my PC playing this back so you can hear what the crackling sounds like.

Since I am hearing this on two different receivers, and on my PC via DirecTV2PC I have to assume that my recorders are recording the audio this way so it is either a box issue, software issue, or I guess it could be my signal coming in but it seems odd that it would only manifest during HD programming.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.  I have a lot of money invested in my home theaters but with the quality of the service being provided by DirecTV and there receivers I might have been better off with the $99 Theater In A Box special of the week Frown

• Re: Audio Crackling (fuzzy, poping, crackling sound)
    peds48

how are those DirecTV receivers connected to your A/V surround receivers?

bazinga

My living room setup has the DirecTV box connected to my plasma TV with a 1.3 HDMI cable, then from my TV to my receiver via another 1.3 HDMI cable.

My basement goes directly from the DirecTV box to my home theater receiver, also with a HDMI 1.3 cable.

dcd

Let's discuss connections.  In order to get the Dolby effects, the conncetion must run from Directv receiver to AVR and thence to the TV or projector.  Why?  Because the TV is almost surely not capable of feeding a full Dolby signal in via HDMI and out via the digital output port.

Your living room setup, if you wish to leave it that way, should have the Directv box set to Dolby off.

As to the source of the "crackle".  Is the coax from the dish passing through a ground block and is that ground block bonded to your homes service ground?

craignseansmom

We have the exact same problem.  Did you ever get it resolved?  This just started over the last month or so.  Very strange.

bazinga

I verified all my wiring, and the I made sure that I isolated the ground for my ground block to a dedicated ground rod separate from the home service ground.  I also spent time making sure my Direct receiver was plugged directly into my AVR.  None of this seems to have made a difference and the issue is still there. 

Since I'm seeing it on all 3 boxes (2 HD DVR's and 1 HD without DVR) with 3 different TV's I'm pretty sure the TV and AVR settings have nothing to do with it.  Is it possible that I'm having problems with the SWM?

litzdog911

I'm not aware of any way that your satellite signal reception could cause these sorts of "audio popping/crackling" issues.  It's much more likely that you have something goofy with your home's electrical wiring ... perhaps an intermittent ground connection somewhere.  Tracking down the source of the problem may be very difficult.  How old is your home's electrical wiring?

litzdog911

Just for grins ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners. 

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

17-24  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #

9-16   NA  #   NA  #   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #   #

25-32  #   #   #   #   #   #   #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8    #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  #   #

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   #   #   #   #   #   #   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

9-16   #   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

craignseansmom

Wiring is only 10 years old.  Zero issues when watching a bluray.  Happens on both HD DVRs.

litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by craignseansmom  

We have the exact same problem.  Did you ever get it resolved?  This just started over the last month or so.  Very strange.

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

swansonmej

I am having the same issue. Would love to learn what to do about it.

litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by swansonmej  

I am having the same issue. Would love to learn what to do about it.

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

bazinga

I also do not believe that it has anything to do with my satellite reception.  But, it is definitely being caused by my DirecTV equipment since that is the only source in my house causing the problem.  Blu Ray, PS3, DVD, etc. all work fine.  The crackling only comes from the DirecTV output.  Either the boxes are not decoding the signals correctly, or something is being injected into the boxes from the SWM.  

If there is anything wrong with my house wiring then why is it that I only see problems with DirecTV equipment.  Everything else in my home works fine.  Is it possible that the DirecTV boxes are not equipped with the required filtering necessary to accommodate various home wiring noise?

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bazinga 

I also do not believe that it has anything to do with my satellite reception.  But, it is definitely being caused by my DirecTV equipment since that is the only source in my house causing the problem.  Blu Ray, PS3, DVD, etc. all work fine.  The crackling only comes from the DirecTV output.  Either the boxes are not decoding the signals correctly, or something is being injected into the boxes from the SWM.  

If there is anything wrong with my house wiring then why is it that I only see problems with DirecTV equipment.  Everything else in my home works fine.  Is it possible that the DirecTV boxes are not equipped with the required filtering necessary to accommodate various home wiring noise?

If you post your signal readings as previously requested we can rule out that possibility. 

Your problem is quite rare.  If it's not reception related then it's almost certainly a house wiring/grounding issue.  

mrmota

This is happening on my 2 month old surround setup. Pardigm 100's, c650 center, sub 15 and studio 10's for surround. These are being driven by a Marantz AV7005 and an MM7055 AMP. This is definitely the DVR or the transmission itself. The distortion is apparent through the DVR hooked directly into the TV at the exact same points during a film. Men In Black has a good amount of this crackling going on. This is not a rare thing. I've also noticed that this HR24 in my main setup has been a little laggy and not as responsive as it was a few months back. After the last UI upgrade hmmm perhaps…… Any word on what is going on? I am so bothered by this that I may bring Time Warner into the mix to test over a month's period. If this is not apparent on Time Warner then my 10 year stint with DTV may be at an end. Thanks….

texasbrit

mrmota - where are you located?  On which channel were you watching "Men in Black"?

mrmota

I am located in Manor, Tx 78653

Signal Strength

(1-8)    97-95-97-0-96-96-96-97

(9-16)  96-95-95-97-96-97-95-98

(17-24) 96-0-95-97-92-100-95-95

(25-32) 95-96-95-96-95-97-90-100

MIB was on channel 501 and is also heard on How to Train Your Dragon that is currently playing.

I am setting up MIB to record from the West HBO feed and will go to the point in the movie where I heard the crackling.

I am streaming Mission Impossible 3 from Amazon VOD and no issues so far.

Thanks

In addition I just spent 3.99 with Amazon VOD for MIB and the audio crackling is not present.

litzdog911

Still waiting to see the OP's signal readings.  

mrmota, best to start your own new thread with more information about your equipment.  Your problem might be totally different. 

devildog0331

I have the exact same problem here, crackling during certain dynamic scenes, and especially when there is bass present. It has been extremely bad recently.  I am running a HR34 via HDMI into a Denon 3808ci reciever.  The speakers are brand new Golden Ear SuperSat 50's.  I also had this problem with my Polk RTi 10 towers.  It happens through both HDMI and optical.  It also happens when bypassing the reciever and running HDMI straight to the TV and using the built in speakers.  Using other sources I get crystal clear sound, its only from DirecTV that i have this crackling.  HR34 was just installed a couple weeks ago, also had the crackling through the HR 20whatever that was in before.  House was brand new in 2003 with all structured wiring done by a specialty company.  Seems to be really bad when watching movies on any of the premium movie channels, but is randomly present on most any channel with dynamic audio.

mrmota
    Quote:    Originally Posted by devildog0331 

I have the exact same problem here, crackling during certain dynamic scenes, and especially when there is bass present. It has been extremely bad recently.  I am running a HR34 via HDMI into a Denon 3808ci reciever.  The speakers are brand new Golden Ear SuperSat 50's.  I also had this problem with my Polk RTi 10 towers.  It happens through both HDMI and optical.  It also happens when bypassing the reciever and running HDMI straight to the TV and using the built in speakers.  Using other sources I get crystal clear sound, its only from DirecTV that i have this crackling.  HR34 was just installed a couple weeks ago, also had the crackling through the HR 20whatever that was in before.  House was brand new in 2003 with all structured wiring done by a specialty company.  Seems to be really bad when watching movies on any of the premium movie channels, but is randomly present on most any channel with dynamic audio.

Devildog,

Thanks for your input. As you can see from the previous post to yours I'm being told to start a new thread. I will not. DirecTV is not on my nice list right now. I just spent 30 minutes with support to get an update on the loss of Viacom channels and I do not feel I got to much of a give a **** about the loss of the kiddos channles and well Futurama is really the only loss I am feeling. This compounds this audio issue which I believe the OP, you and I have clearly outlined as the same issue. All of the cabling in my setup is new Audioquest for all of the speakers with a bran new AV setup. I was going to take it further and do other testing with the HR22's however I don't think I'll spin my wheels any further. One thing of use I got from the CSR is when my contract is up. I only have to pay August and I am contract free. Unless the audio issue is fixed and my bill is prorated appropriately I will be gone from Directv. I've been a loyal customer since 9/11/2001(yes the day) and I think my money and Directv will be parting ways within 45 days.

Again thanks for your input on this issue... and excuse my rant....

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mrmota 

Devildog,

Thanks for your input. As you can see from the previous post to yours I'm being told to start a new thread. I will not. DirecTV is not on my nice list right now. I just spent 30 minutes with support to get an update on the loss of Viacom channels and I do not feel I got to much of a give a **** about the loss of the kiddos channles and well Futurama is really the only loss I am feeling. This compounds this audio issue which I believe the OP, you and I have clearly outlined as the same issue. All of the cabling in my setup is new Audioquest for all of the speakers with a bran new AV setup. I was going to take it further and do other testing with the HR22's however I don't think I'll spin my wheels any further. One thing of use I got from the CSR is when my contract is up. I only have to pay August and I am contract free. Unless the audio issue is fixed and my bill is prorated appropriately I will be gone from Directv. I've been a loyal customer since 9/11/2001(yes the day) and I think my money and Directv will be parting ways within 45 days.

Again thanks for your input on this issue... and excuse my rant....

DIRECTV has been negotiating with Viacom, the owner of MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central and other channels, to renew our contract to carry their channels at the most reasonable costs. Unfortunately, we haven’t reached an agreement yet. Since an agreement has not been reached, Viacom has forced us to temporarily remove their channels from our programming lineup.

The channels impacted include: BET, Centric (BET Jazz), CMT, Comedy Central, Logo, MTV, MTV2,  MTV India, Tr3s (Latin channel), Nick Jr, Nick Toons, Nick/Nick at Night, Palladia, Spike, TeenNick, TV Land, VH1 and VH1 Classic.

Disputes like these are usually resolved quickly so we’ve established directvpromise.com to keep you up-to-date on our latest news in our discussions with Viacom.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to a quick resolution that will enable you to see your favorite channels.

texasbrit

I haven't seen any info about on what channels this audio problem occurs, other than mention of HBO. So does this happen on all channels, or just HBO?  If it is just on HBO, or only on a couple of channels, it is almost certainly a problem with the signal being delivered by those channels.

dcd

I made sure that I isolated the ground for my ground block to a dedicated ground rod separate from the home service ground.

This is the exact opposite of the way the system should be grounded. As previously posted, an effective ground of a Directv dish and coax requires that the system be bonded to the home's service ground. I again post the pic for an example of a correct install.

lbakken85

I am having this issue as well.  I have tried new hdmi cables and speaker cables, still makes the crackling noise.  Does anyone have any answers for this yet?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by lbakken85 

I am having this issue as well.  I have tried new hdmi cables and speaker cables, still makes the crackling noise.  Does anyone have any answers for this yet?

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

devildog0331

I don't understand why you are telling people to start a new thread, It is painfully obvious that we are all having the same problem, by posting in one thread, it allows people to see that multiple people are sharing a problem. It allows us to share ideas and compare troubleshooting. I highly doubt it is equipment outside of the directv box causing this as a number of us have tried different configurations and we all have different equipment, yet the same problem.  I am pretty tech savvy and have over $10K invested in my system, I know its not wiring or my Sunfire amplifier, or my Denon reciever, or any of my other equipment causing the issue.  I'd actually love to hear the technical explanation on how an improper ground could cause this crackling through the speakers only during certain frequencies and scenes, and not on every channel at all times.  I have narrowed this down to either the DirecTv equipment, or the signal.   I will admit that i haven't attempted to figure out exactly which channels it happens on, I have noticed it on multiple channels, but i can't list them.   I was watching an 80's action movie a couple days ago on one of the premiums, and the crackling was so terrible i had to change the channel. 

Also, the forum software makes it extremely easy to track and respond to others, because everytime someone posts i get an e-mail, I don't see how it could be much easier than that.  Making each person start a new post reeks of trying to hide the issue where it can be treated as a one off issue.  Much harder to hide the issue with multiple people jumping in and saying, "oh yeah, thats happening to me too!

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by devildog0331 

I don't understand why you are telling people to start a new thread, .....

Also, the forum software makes it extremely easy to track and respond to others, because everytime someone posts i get an e-mail, I don't see how it could be much easier than that.  Making each person start a new post reeks of trying to hide the issue where it can be treated as a one off issue.  Much harder to hide the issue with multiple people jumping in and saying, "oh yeah, thats happening to me too!

Nobody here is trying to "hide" anything.  If you spent as much time here as we do, you would quickly realize how lame this forum software is when trying to sort out multiple posters in one thread.  It's just about impossible.  Hence the advice to start a new thread.  Feel free to link to this one if you're convinced you have the exact same problem.  Usually we find that it's not exactly the same problem, though.  But in the end, it's your choice. 

war59312

I too am having this issue.

But just a few minutes ago tech support came out and switched out all the hardware so will let you know if I still have the problem and if so I will make a new thread.

He switched out my two H24 boxes with H25/500 boxes and updated all the software. He also replaced my HR24/100 DVR and updated its software.

Like the others it was happening on all 3 TVs and only with DirectTV.

war59312

Dang, bad news, still have the problem. :(

I was just watching "In Time" on HBO HD East and it started acting up once again.

My new forum thread is @ http://forums.directv.com/message/11092520#11092520

jhalla920
    Exact same problem here. It happens on every channel with surround sound for me. It's at it's worst when there are moments of dynamic audio like others have previously mentioned.
    bazinga

Sorry for the long delay in posting my signal readings.  Based on the initial responses it did not sound like DirecTV was going to fess up to this issue.  But, now that I see that I'm not alone and there are over 1,000 reads for my post I thought I would attempt to follow up again and see if we can make any progress since the problem still exists and I have yet to see anyone post a fix.  Aside of course to switching back to cable.

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    98 97 0 97 100 97 100

9-16   96 98 98 0 97 100 96 100

17-24  95 100 96 0 97 100 97 100

25-32  95 100 95 96 100 95 100

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º) - Not Applicable

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º) - Not Applicable

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

1-8    94 0 91 59 96 97 NA NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  53 83

17-24  95 96 83 85 99 100 57 33

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

1-8   91 95 88 95 89 93 88 94

9-16  89 94 88 92 93 95   NA  NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

1-8    76 0 0 0 0 0   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  0 100

17-24  0 95 97 100 84 83 0 0

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   93 95 91 95 92 95 90 95   NA  NA

17-24  89 95 93 95 88 93 94 96

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)

[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]

1-8    95 96 92 94 92 95 92 94

9-16   91 94 92 95 90 93  NA  NA

litzdog911

What about the signal readings from the 103º(ca) satellite?

And check the readings on both DVR tuners. 

berniexp30
    Just switched from Dish to DirecTV, and have had the same issue with BOTH services. Crackling occurs during action scenes and explosions and is noticeable mainly on HBO and other pay channels. Seems like we are all having the same issue, and there's no need for a new thread. Hope someone finds a solution and notifies me                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    bhilmer

I'm having the exact same issue and I called DirecTV customer service and their technicians are aware of the issue and are currently working on an update. She wasn't sure when they are expecting the update, but to push the reset button on the box every week so it can check for any updates.

jimmie57

bhilmer

Press the info button on the remote and hold it down for 3 or 4 seconds and the system info will come to the screen with the date and version of software on your machine  any time you wish to see if you got an update.

litzdog911

While not a widespread issue, the folks reporting this problem seem to have it with channels that now utilize HDCP copy protection.  It's possible that some HDTVs and AV Surround Receivers have audio issues with the HDCP data via HDMI.   Using a digital coax or digital audio (Toslink) connection instead of HDMI might help.  

See for example this article which mentions the "crackling and popping audio" problems with HDCP on HDMI connections ....

http://www.hdcabling.co.za/hdcp_hdmi_handshake_troubleshooting_guidelines.php

war59312

I am using ditital coax right now and it too has crackling and popping. As does digital audio and HDMI.

So at least for me, the cable matters not.

jhalla920
    Same here. I have tried all connection types, I get the crackle with all. I am currently using toslink. The issue is the same with all cable types.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    devildog0331

Add me to the list, i have run it both toslink, coax, and hdmi....does not change if there is crackling or not.  In all fairness, I did not try running it through analog cables.

bazinga

I highly doubt that this problem has anything to do with the cables.  I have used HDMI, Coax, RCA, and Toslink.  They all exhibit the same issue.  

As for the HDCP issue.  I guess there could be a relationship here, but if it is that has nothing to do with my equipment and it still leads back to the DirecTV boxes.  

The reason why I doubt the cable or HDCP as the culprit is because I also have this problem when I access my recordings via DirecTV2PC on my computer.  

The source of this problem has to be either corrupt data being transmitted/received, or a breakdown somewhere before getting to any of the boxes (HD or HDDVR) outputs.  

In other words, here is where the problem will be found:

Digital Program Itself to DirecTV(send) to Satellites(receive/send) to Dish(receive) to SWM to Receiver to Hard Drive

here is where it will not be found, so we need to stop looking here:

• Receiver/Hard Drive to TV (or AV Receiver), via HDMI, Coax, Analog, etc.
    • Home electrical wiring 
    • Television or AV Receiver

litzdog911

bazinga:

Exactly which channels have this issue?

bazinga

I cant think of a channel where I have not noticed it.  But, it does seem to be more prevalent when I'm watching movie channels.  Of course that may be because I typically watch movies at a higher volume.  I also specifically remember it occurring often while watching the Olympics.

It looks like bhilmer above received confirmation from DirecTV support that this is a known issue that should be fixed in a software update.  I'm not sure if this is true, or if the Tech was just trying to close out the call, but hopefully someone is truly working on this.  Cable is looking better and better every day...

litzdog911

.....  I'm not sure if this is true, or if the Tech was just trying to close out the call, but hopefully someone is truly working on this.  Cable is looking better and better every day...

Don't believe it.  I don't think they know the root cause yet.  

if you think Cable is better, then go for it.  

supersecretjim
    Same thing here.
    After extensive troubleshooting (swapping audio & speaker cables, bypassing reciever and direct to tv hdmi input, etc.) I called directv , and had them swap out my box.

Still crackling. Lost all my dvr movies due to swap. Recorded titanic , and skipped to engine room scene after sailing off... crackle, crackle, crackle.

My main worry, aside from terrible sound, is will this crackling damage my speakers? Is it just harmless, annoying crackle, or is it clipping that will damage my tv or home theater speakers?

Also, would this technical problem, be grounds to let me out of my contract if it goes unsolved?
    bazinga

Has anyone stumbled upon a solution to this problem yet?  I just received a new firmware update last month and this defect is now even worse.  

litzdog911

I've not seen additional reports of this sort of problem, so it's unlikely that DirecTV is doing much about it.  Still seems to me that something must be amiss with your equipment setup, perhaps an unusual grounding or other equipment issue.  Sorry.  Wish I had more ideas to suggest. 

devildog0331

I think this problem has actually gotten worse.  Watching The Day After Tomorrow right now on HBO and during any loud, dynamic scene, crackle crackle. It is definitely more of an issue on the movie channels.  And no, its not my equipment, or some kind of ground issue. I actually just had my equpiment switched out here and got a HR34.  The tech put a new LNB on my dish, and checked the ground.  I've already narrowed this down to either a problem with the directv hardware itself, or the signal it is recieving.  Everything else works perfectly through every connection, trust me, I spent an entire day troubleshooting this.  I even took my main reciever (Denon 3808ci) into an authorzied Denon repair shop and they ran the entire test protocol to check for issues.  I'm actually still waiting for the technical explanation on how a grounding issue could cause crackling on certain channels during certain frequencies.

litzdog911

Not sure what to say, devildog, but I have my HR34 connected via HDMI to my Denon AVR3312ci and have never had this issue.   We've seen very few posts about this problem.  Grounding issues are just one theory.   

dcd

I too have a HR34 feeding a Denon via HDMI and from there to a Sony TV and have never once experienced this problem.  I know anyone would rather think that "no, its not my equipment, or some kind of ground issue" but if that's the case, where do you think the problem lies?

jaxman314

For what it's worth, I noticed crackling during The Day After Tomorrow (yesterday) as well.  I have noticed the same crackling many times on HBO, especially during heavy action scenes such as in Gladiator with the lions roaring.....

Knowing this, I turned on Real Steel yesterday after I noticed the crackling on The Day After Tomorrow.  I believe this was on Starz.  I turned it up even louder, and I did NOT notice any crackling, and I'm pretty sensitive to it as well.

So, I believe it is source related, like many of you here do.  Seems to be an HBO thing to me.  I'll check more channels and add to this forum if I find any relevant data to add....

BTW, I have a new (I think) HR24-200.....and a Onkyo TX-SR608.

Thanks

mrmota
    I stopped chiming in on this thread some time back. Nothing, but the same suggestions of providing signal strength or how its possibly our equipment without ever getting any signs that this is being worked on in earnest by DirecTV. Is this forum monitored by DirecTV? I feel 100% certain this is purely a problem that DirecTV introduced back in April/May of 2012. Not only was it crackling, but I think for some time last year updates to newer receivers started slowing them down. Is the problem still on my system you betcha... How frustrated am I? To the point that when I was offered 30 dollars off a month to stick around for another 2 years. No thank you. With the rate increase were about to deal with and this problem still present I am waiting for chance to jump. I've had DirecTV since 9/11/2001 and I think I am done. DirecTV is still a leader in service and content, but I expect more for what I spend on a yearly basis. Good luck to folks plagued by this issue.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    mrmota
    Deleting double post.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    mrmota
    Deleting triple post                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    war59312

Indeed, dec 20th update has made it worse.

All channels have this annoying issue.

ccrail96
    I'm also experiencing the same problem.  Any updates or a solution?                                                                                                                                                                                               
    jephdood

Same crackling here.  With the Viacom battle, no deal still with the Pac12 network, and now my speaker's tweeters clicking and popping during movies, I'm about ready to rip this dish off my roof.  I'm about to check and see what my contract expiration date is.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jephdood 

Same crackling here.  With the Viacom battle, no deal still with the Pac12 network, and now my speaker's tweeters clicking and popping during movies, I'm about ready to rip this dish off my roof.  I'm about to check and see what my contract expiration date is.

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.