17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2014 6:48 AM by giaimo13 RSS

Your TV does not support this program's content protection

rmunson1

I am certain this is redundant, but I have been reviewing many posts and many times people were requested to create a new post, so I decided to try that route.  At the same time, I am seeing many references to "You'll find many threads here" but my searches are not finding 'many' threads, just a few.  It seems like I am searching the right terms, but I am not finding the right posts.  In any case, I decided to try a new post.

I have 2 problems.

press the EXIT button for several seconds to reset the receiver's output to standard (did that, although I hated to)

Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables

Bedroom HR22-100 DirecTV DVR connected via HDMI to Vizio TV

Living room HR24-200 DirecTV DVR connected in various ways to new Sharp TV and DVD-R (Toshiba)

Situation - DVR is nearly full, want to save some stuff, attempting to copy from DVR to DVD-R and getting above problem messages.

In 'normal' mode, the DVR has an HDMI cable to the TV and RCA cables to the DVD-R.

In problem solving mode, component cables between the and DVD-R and TV were added.

In problem solving mode, the HDMI cable was pulled out of the bedroom TV.

I am still getting "Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replacing the TV's HDMI cable with component cables" thereby burning a lot of coasters that spend 2 hours recording this message.

So, I am going through a long list of trial and error.  Pull out all HDMI plugs from all TVs.  Leave HDMI plugs in but turn on all TVs.  Pull out this.  Pull out that.  All very frustrating, but sometimes successful, sometimes not.  Finally, I thought I might be able to save my self a lot of trouble if I posted here and got clarification about how it all works.

What I would like (but doesn't work):

Bedroom DVR connected via HDMI to TV with TV off.

Living room DVR connected via HDMI to TV and connected via RCA to DVD-R

DVD-R connected to TV via HDMI (and, if necessary, via component cables).

What am I missing.  What secret steps do I need to add to achieve success - that is, play something off DVR and record on DVD-R.

• Re: Your TV does not support this program's content protection
    texasbrit

OK, let's start by describing what is happening.

HBO and the other premium movie channels have introduced a requirement for their resellers (sat, cable etc) to make sure that any TV that is receiving HD and is connected via HDMI supports the HDCP copy protection protocol. So when a DirecTV receiver detects that a TV is connected via HDMI, it carries out a test by sending a message to the TV using HDCP and then looks at the reply. If the TV fails the test, the receiver displays the message you see.

So far so good (or so bad!). If your TV does NOT support HDCP, you can't watch HBO etc.

The problem now comes if your receiver is connected to a second TV, or DVD recorder, or slingbox etc. As long as the primary TV, connected via HDMI, is "on", and it is HDCP-compliant, you leave the second output from the splitter unused.everything is OK.But if you switch the TV "off", you are not really switching it off, it's on standby. So the DirecTV box knows it is there, but now the TV fails the HDCP test, so you get the message and no-one can watch on the second TV.

So now let's look at solutions.

First solution is, stop watching the previous movie channels at all. Some people have actually done that, and told HBO why they are terminating the service.

Second solution, remove the HDMI cable to the HDMI-connected TV when it is "off", or replace the cable with component video and RCA audio cables (five cables) which has the same effect, since component does not carry HDCP and so there is no test to fail.

Third solution, connect the DirecTV box to the HDMI-connected TV through an active, powered HDMI splitter. I can't recommend a specific one, but there is some discussion at dbstalk about which ones work and which ones don't. The splitter keeps the HDCP compliance even when the connected TV is "off" -  you leave the second output from the splitter unused..

This info should enable you to configure any of your systems. The DVD-R, as far as the DirecTV box is concerned, is connected to the system via RCA cables; the DVD-R is making an SD recording and so the fact that it is connected to the TV via HDMI should be irrelevant. Just remember that any configuration you set up, where one TV is directly connected via HDMI, is going to have this issue on HBO etc

rmunson1

Thanks.  This comment (The DVD-R, as far as the DirecTV box is concerned, is connected to the system via RCA cables; the DVD-R is making an SD recording and so the fact that it is connected to the TV via HDMI should be irrelevant) was the most helpful, but I remain a bit puzzled about the rest.  But, the comment above takes one cable complexity out of the equation.

Let me try again, and repeat what I thought I heard.

I have 2 TVs.  I have no problem watching any channels directly or via the DVR playback on my TV via my HDMI cables.

However, when I do the DVR playback into the DVD-R, I get the undesired message, periodically.

Bedroom DVR has HDMI into TV.

Livingroom DVR has HDMI into TV.

Does your commentary apply to both TVs/DVRs/HDMI cables?  That is, when playback is in process, do both TVs have to either be on or disconnected from their HDMI cable?  Or just the one that involves the receiver/DVR providing the playback?  If it is just the one doing the playback, then I think my results so far make sense.  In summary, is it accurate to say all should work fine if, for the playback DVR, I leave the TV on or else disconnect the HDMI cable.  But I will get a coaster (worthless DVD) every time I turn the TV off but lave the HDMI cable attached during playback.  And, for the other DVR, not involved with the playback, I can do anything I want?  If all of this is true, then I think I got it.  Please confirm.  Thanks for your patience.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rmunson1 

the fact that it is connected to the TV via HDMI should be irrelevant)

You'll do better if you forget what you think is relevant or not, and concentrate on the technology.  Whenever you connect a HDMI cable to a HD Directv receiver or DVR, and play a protected program, the system sends a message to the SD connections.  Note that to rid yourself of the message, simply remove the HDMI cable (preferably from the Directv box, not the TV) or alternately use component cables and do away with the HDMI altogether.

texasbrit

Yes, you are overthinking this, that's why I posted the fairly lengthy explanation.

First, forget the link from the DVD-R to the TV. It's not involved in any of this. It could be HDMI, component, RCA or even coax, it will behave the same way. The only relevant connection is the HDMI cable from the DVR to a TV. If you are watching a protected program (HBO and other premiums) and the HDMI link fails the HDCP test, then the message will appear on ANY TVs that are connected to that particular DVR, whether directly or indirectly, and will be recorded on any DVD-Rs that are connected to that DVR also. If the link passes the HDCP test, then the message won't appear. The HDCP test could fail because the TV is not HDCP-compliant, or because the TV is "off" but the HDMI link is still active and the TV fails the HDCP compliance test. To get around that problem, you need to convince the DirecTV DVR that it is EITHER not connected to an HDMI link (e.g. by disconnecting the HDMI cable or using component cables to the TV) OR make the link HDCP compliant even when the TV is off (e.g. by using an appropriate HDMI splitter).

Note each of your systems is separate; what goes on with one DVR won't affect the other.

Also note that none of this guarantees you can record HBO on your DVD-R.  There can be signals included in the HBO signal that prevent a DVD-R from recording at all. No messages, just a scrambled recording. But since I assume you have been doing this recording for a while, it looks like your DVD-R does not suffer from this problem.

rimrocker316

I am getting an error "your tv does not support this program's content protection. replacing the TVs HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program" THIS ONLY happens when I try and watch DTV via (slingplayer) from work or my (slingplayer) off my HTC EVO from work, When I am home I can watch it on the computer connected to the network and the EVO with BOTH WIFI and 4G and also my 55 in HDTV. ANY reason why, This is on only 500 channels, all other channels come in fine.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rimrocker316 

I am getting an error "your tv does not support this program's content protection. replacing the TVs HDMI cable with component cables will allow you to view the program" THIS ONLY happens when I try and watch DTV via (slingplayer) from work or my (slingplayer) off my HTC EVO from work, When I am home I can watch it on the computer connected to the network and the EVO with BOTH WIFI and 4G and also my 55 in HDTV. ANY reason why, This is on only 500 channels, all other channels come in fine.

did you bother to read the thread?????

read post number 2 for an explanation and solution!!!!

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.

caryn

My husband and I just got a new Genie last night.  Today when I tried to watch HBO with it, lo and behold we got that message "your TV does not support this program's content protection."  We called DirectTV support who told us to switch out our HDMI cable for the component cables.  My husband switched out the cables and the picture was horrible... almost to the point of being unwatchable.  However, my husband is a "Genie Genius" and figured out a fix.  He simply plugged in BOTH the HDMI cable AND the component cables to the box and into the TV.  It's working great now. HBO is back and the picture is fantastic.

dwoodaudio

My solution, and that of many other subscribers, would be to tell HBO to take a flying leap.   Another idiotic example of some stupid copy protection scheme that only inconveniences legitimate subscribers, because the hackers already know how to get around it.   Vote with your checkbook and subscribe to a different movie channel that doesn't try to stick it you your rear with stupid schemes like HBO.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dwoodaudio 

My solution, and that of many other subscribers, would be to tell HBO to take a flying leap.   Another idiotic example of some stupid copy protection scheme that only inconveniences legitimate subscribers, because the hackers already know how to get around it.   Vote with your checkbook and subscribe to a different movie channel that doesn't try to stick it you your rear with stupid schemes like HBO.

Nice idea. Except that pretty soon they'll all be using this sort of copy protection.  Or something worse.  

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dwoodaudio 

Vote with your checkbook and subscribe to a different movie channel that doesn't try to stick it you your rear with stupid schemes like HBO.

that would be good, except for the fact that ALL premium movie channels have HDCP.  and as litzdog mentioned, is only getting worse as far as copy protection.  soon Blu-Ray players would be only allow to output HD via its HDMI cable as opposed to component cables

sgtbaxter

I have to vent at DirecTV here. I switched from Dish Network last month to save some money the next 2 years with the genie promotion, and also because Dish p*ssed me off with the whole AMC debacle and I was tired of them swapping around my channels and not compensating me. Their loss, as I was a 15 year customer and generally happy and preferred their equipment and service to DTV (still do really).

My Dish 722 also had HDCP for premium channels and premium PPV movies. My PS3 also requires an HDCP handshake for playing games, or watching blu-rays, and my TV is less than 5 years old and perfectly HDCP compliant. Only on the very rare occasion would an HDCP handshake fail, and simply turning on/off the TV or device would fix the issue.

Enter DTV and this genie DVR, and that's all I get now. When your TV works perfectly with a different DVR, works perfectly with the PS3 and the only variable that changes is the DirecTV equipment, it's pretty simple to deduce where the actual problem is. Especially when I can unplug the hdmi cable, plug it back in and suddenly the channel plays. I don't believe the issue is with customers equipment, I believe the issue in the majority of cases is DTV's implementation of HDCP on their equipment.

I called DTV to complain and their solution is to want to send me a free component cable. Which, BTW will limit resolution to 540p on those channels and probably not permit me to watch first run movies since DTV allows selective output control (Dish doesn't as far as I know). I told the guy to stuff his cable, remove those channels NOW and not in 3 months as they are too much of a bother to watch and that I'll be voting with my wallet again when my 2 year contract is up.

Also a question - my Dish DVR had troubleshooting menus that would do HDMI tests and return results like every video mode your monitor would support, date of manufacture, HDCP compliance, etc. Is there any such thing on a DTV DVR?

texasbrit

Just FYI, using component does NOT limit resolution to 540p, you get the normal channel resolution of 720p and 1080i. And first run movies display in 1080i over component also.

sgtbaxter
    Quote:    Originally Posted by texasbrit 

Just FYI, using component does NOT limit resolution to 540p, you get the normal channel resolution of 720p and 1080i. And first run movies display in 1080i over component also.

When did they change that? I hooked it up via component to check and the TV does state it's receiving 1080i. I read numerous articles of people being limited to 540 on those premium channels (ie HBO). 

Regardless, both component inputs are already in use on that particular TV so hooking the DVR up permanently via component is not an option.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by sgtbaxter 

When did they change that? I hooked it up via component to check and the TV does state it's receiving 1080i. I read numerous articles of people being limited to 540 on those premium channels (ie HBO). 

Regardless, both component inputs are already in use on that particular TV so hooking the DVR up permanently via component is not an option.

it was never changed.  is always been this way. and FYI, there is no 540 in the USA

monos00

I got a new TV and moved an HD receiver to the new TV and i got this error, i was getting really frustrated and happened to have some new HDMI cables i swapped the cable that had worked fine before but was giving this error now and the problem disappeared.

giaimo13

I received this message intermittently on a variety of TVs and channels throughout my house. The culprit was cheap HDMI cables that I bought from an eBay vendor for about $4 each.

I bought some certified HDMI cables from solidsignal-dot-com, for about $9 each, and the problem was solved. The small additional cost for decent cables was worth the cost in ameliorated aggravation.

As for copying off programs to DVD, simply use the component cables from the DTV box to the DVD-R and keep the DTV box cabled to the TV at the same time by HDMI, and you should have no problem.

Also, see if the drive firmware in your DVD-R can up updated. You can google "update my DVD-R drive firmware" and find instructions. The manufacturers of your DVD-R boxes will be of no help, since they are not the manufacturers of the actual drives in their units. Doing this will give your units better results on all kinds of media and will help prevent coaster burning.

giaimo13

I received this message intermittently on a variety of TVs and channels throughout my house. The culprit was cheap HDMI cables that I bought from an eBay vendor for about $4 each.

I bought some certified HDMI cables from solidsignal-dot-com, for about $9 each, and the problem was solved. The small additional cost for decent cables was worth the cost in ameliorated aggravation.

As for copying off programs to DVD, simply use the component cables from the DTV box to the DVD-R and keep the DTV box cabled to the TV at the same time by HDMI, and you should have no problem.

Also, see if the drive firmware in your DVD-R can up updated. You can google "update my DVD-R drive firmware" and find instructions. The manufacturers of your DVD-R boxes will be of no help, since they are not the manufacturers of the actual drives in their units. Doing this will give your units better results on all kinds of media and will help prevent coaster burning.