25 Replies Latest reply: Jun 9, 2012 9:07 AM by dhill RSS

Update 0x5cd

cajazzman

I noticed that at 2:39am this morning, my HR23, received an update,0x5cd. I also have noticed that the guide which use to show the posters of the programs, but now do not. Will they reappear, or is this a bug of the new update? Undecided

• Re: Update 0x5cd
    texasbrit

This info takes a few days to download...

peds48

everytime the receivers gets a new software update, it wipes out all the guide data.  it takes approx 24 to 48 hrs for all the "stuff" to load.  

markelynch

My HR22/100 downloaded software update 0x5cd this morning.  Now when I change channels I only get audio but no picture.  I have to turn off the tv and then back on to get the video.  Same thing when I try to watch a show saved on the hard drive.  Directv needs to update the software.  This is not a problem with my tv or my HDMI cable.

litzdog911

It's an HDMI incompatibility problem with your HDTV and/or AV Surround Receiver.  You can use Component Video cables as a work around until this hopefully gets fixed. 

texasbrit

Yes, 0x5cd introduces a number of HDMI issues, hopefully there will be a new release soon that corrects these...

wireguy
    I have a HR23/700 and got 0x5cd this morning also.  I'm also having the video dropout.
    My question, since this is my first need to post, is what is everyone's collective experience when texasbrit says:
         "...hopefully there will be a new release soon..."
    What is "soon"?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    wireguy
    Also, I have a second dvr, HR24/500 that has older 0x59e.  Is there a way I can prevent the update from happening while we wait for the fix to 0x5cd?

AdTHANKSvance                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    jimmie57
    Quote:    Originally Posted by wireguy 
    I have a HR23/700 and got 0x5cd this morning also. I'm also having the video dropout.
    My question, since this is my first need to post, is what is everyone's collective experience when texasbrit says:
    "...hopefully there will be a new release soon..."
    What is "soon"?

See post # 5. Sure and probably a permanent fix. I run component cables to the TV and an Optical cable to my Yamaha for sound. You can run component cables to the TV and Red and White for Audio. Never have another  problem with HDMI connections.

jimmie57
    Quote:    Originally Posted by wireguy 
    Also, I have a second dvr, HR24/500 that has older 0x59e. Is there a way I can prevent the update from happening while we wait for the fix to 0x5cd?

AdTHANKSvance

No. software automatic updates when it is sent from the satellite.

wireguy
    Thanks very much for your help.  I just noticed that the first poster in this thread was from May 23...
    Off to cablestogo.com ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    draley

Same problem here, and it's been going on for about 10 days now (since the last software download on May 23)...and it also happened at the beginning of May after a previous software download, but engineering was apparently able to do something to correct it the first time but not this time. I've been on the phone with tech support three times and have been told that it has been "escalated to engineering" and no one knows how long it'll be before it's fixed. What's up with that? Does anyone have any newer information?

peds48

It's a known issue and directv is aware.  It will be most likely b fixed one the national release.   In the meantime use component cables as a work around.

draley

Just FYI...

In reading other threads, I've discovered a workaround that has given me a temporary solution: I changed the supported resolutions in the Settings menu to 480 (unchecked the 720 and 1080 ones), and although the picture is lower res, it's ok to watch and I'm now able to switch directly between channels and DVR recorded programs...it beats trying to run new component cables down through a wall as a temporary solution! Please excuse my "yelling," but:

SURELY DIRECTV WILL GET SOMETHING DONE RIGHT AWAY. THIS IS ABSURD AND IT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR!!!

peds48
    Quote: Originally Posted by draley  

Just FYI...

In reading other threads, I've discovered a workaround that has given me a temporary solution: I changed the supported resolutions in the Settings menu to 480 (unchecked the 720 and 1080 ones), and although the picture is lower res, it's ok to watch and I'm now able to switch directly between channels and DVR recorded programs...it beats trying to run new component cables down through a wall as a temporary solution! Please excuse my "yelling," but:

SURELY DIRECTV WILL GET SOMETHING DONE RIGHT AWAY. THIS IS ABSURD AND IT'S NOT WHAT WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR!!!

you don't need to run the component cables down the wall.  is a temp fix anyway.  and no need to "yell" at us.  as you probably know we are not DirecTV employees, just customers like yourself.  if you want DirecTv to see your complain, it would be best to send them an email.  they won't  see it here.

draley

peds48_installs: thanks for the reply, and as I said, "please excuse my 'yelling'" but as I'm sure you can appreciate, the frustration level here (as with so many other DTV customers) is very high.  I did, in fact, email DTV after my last post...and that's in addition to the three rather lengthy phone calls to technical support in the last 10 days.  The first indication I had that the problem is so widespread was when I visited this forum today.  Again, hopefully DTV will provide a real solution quickly.

acmeprecision

I have a Hitachi 42HDT51, and since 0x5cd, it will not show the output from my HR22 properly. On initial startup of the box after a reset, the image shows fine, but once it goes to live TV and regular menus from the DVR, the image acts as if there is a sync or handshake issue. When I change resolutions using the button on the box or the "format" button on the remote, it will change how the image is garbled (multiple repeats of the image squashed together horizontally, but with black lines interspersed, totally black, etc...). The only recognizable image comes when set for 480p (but colors are off and it is as if the image is overscanned), then when I try different resolutions through the setup menu, it seems to have handshake issues, and won't return to being viewable, even though it thinks it's going back to 480p. Has always worked fine up until this SW. I can reproduce this with other HR22s from elsewhere in my house. Phone reps are baffled and not really helpful, and insist that they have not heard anything at all about this issue. Really making me think of switching to cable after 10 years of DTV.

kenrblan1901

My work around for the HDMI video signal loss doesn't require component cables or reducing the resolution. I've got an HR21 with a Samsung TV.  In the "TV Resolutions" preferences under the Display Settings menu, select the highest screen resolution that your television will support. Go to the "Video" preferences under the Display Settings menu and turn the "Native" setting to Off. This will allow you to lock the resolution in on the receiver, forcing it to convert any signals to the resolution you specify. After exiting the menu, you can use the Format button on your remote to cycle through the different resolution/screen formats to get one you like.

markelynch

That's a great work around.  Just turned off native and it works great with HDMI cables.  It's the native feature that doesn't work with certain television with the latest Directv update.

mongoose

I'm having similar issues.

Unchecking Native and selecting 1080P 'seems' to be an acceptable resolution temporarily (so far). However, after choosing 1080P I'm only able to select 720 settings using the format button ... and my HR21/200 only displays that it's putting out a 720 resolution. Does anyone have any thoughts on why?

I'm also curious if this handshake issue from the 0x5cd update affects allDTV HD/DVR receivers.

jimmie57
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mongoose 

I'm having similar issues.

Unchecking Native and selecting 1080P 'seems' to be an acceptable resolution temporarily (so far). However, after choosing 1080P I'm only able to select 720 settings using the format button ... and my HR21/200 only displays that it's putting out a 720 resolution. Does anyone have any thoughts on why?

I'm also curious if this handshake issue from the 0x5cd update affects allDTV HD/DVR receivers.

1080p is only for some PPV movies.

1080i is what should be checked. Since the program is not a PPV it is being downgraded to the next, in our case, 720p resolution.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mongoose 

for the most part, Yes

texasbrit

The DVRs all use the same software, but that does not mean everyone's installation has the problems. Whether you have problems or not depends mainly on which model TV or A/V receiver is connected via HDMI to the DVR.

madness10

The problems that all of you are experiening is do to the last update that Directv did. It cause havoc with all the HDMI functions. Some worse than others. This is what I wrote Directv and there response.

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Update 0x5cd

Discussion Thread
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Response Via Email(Aleiza N. (ID 100289191)) - 06/07/2012 04:04 AM
    Dear Mr. Hill,

Thank you for writing. We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the recent
    software update. It is not the intent of DIRECTV to create problems for our
    customers.

Normally, DIRECTV equipment and installations are very reliable. When we are
    made aware of technical issues, our technical staff works diligently to get
    those issues resolved as soon as possible. We are aware of the issue you are
    experiencing. Our engineers are investigating and working quickly to resolve the
    issue and restore your preferred DIRECTV programming to your television.

We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue for you, Mr.
    Hill.

Sincerely,

Aleiza N. - 100289191
    DIRECTV Customer Service

P. S. Football season is coming soon! Catch up to 14 games every week this fall
    with NFL SUNDAY TICKET, now available at directv.com/nfl.

Customer By Web Form (Matthew Hill) - 06/06/2012 08:28 PM
    Ever since this update came into effect, this update has caused a lot of
    problems with a lot of people. I was told by a CSR that there was no known
    problems with the update. A new reciever later, the box was find for 2 days
    until udpate, then same problem with the HDMI. This is affecting the HDMI
    interface with tvs not going to1080. This IS a known issue if you check the
    forums. It is not acceptable to me to use the temp fix( component output). I pay
    for the use of Sat on my tv at the setup the is best for me, which is HDMI.
    Directv came out with this update that was supposed to been verified by your IT
    dept. This needs to be fixed. I have been a loyal customer for about 10 years
    and should not have to put up with inferior software updates that interferes
    with my watching enjoyment. I
    and proberly other customers, may want a refund on our services until this
    problem is fixed.

[---001:001660:31891---]

No problems with anybodys tv's or recievers,or anything else. Just bad software update on Directv side. Hope this helps. I have been thru this for the last month. With a new box, no problem for 2 days until update, then problems again. It does not mater what kind of tv or a/v reciever you have, it will affect you somehow.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by madness10 

The problems that all of you are experiening is do to the last update that Directv did. It cause havoc with all the HDMI functions. Some worse than others. This is what I wrote Directv and there response.

apparently you just were made aware of this issue.  DirecTV is already working on a fix

dhill

I have the same problem with a 32" Sharp Aquos.

What worked for me temporarily was to disable all modes other than 480i on the Direct TV receiver.

The picture is not as good as before, but at least I still get a picture when I change channels.