16 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2014 2:22 PM by peds48 RSS

This is weird!  Different Commercials play back from different rooms.

upthereinthesky

OK.  Let me preface this post with a comment:  This is weird.

My wife comes into the Living Room where the HR24-100 is located.  She's watching the French Open from another TV in the house, through her HD Receiver, off the HR24 DVR located in the Living Room.  She says, "I want you to watch this commercial.  It's on such and such a show, at 3:03".  I turn on my TV and the DirecTV DVR, play the show and go to 3:03.  I'm looking at a commercial for a car dealer in the New York area, and she's looking at a national commercial for DR lawn mowers.  Same content before the commercial and after.  Just different during the commercial.

I just spent 36 minutes on the phone with Tech Support, and they read me their scripts which don't apply to this problem.  I just wanted to know out of curiosity, because I fast forward through the commercials anyway, but they basically told me it couldn't happen, that I must be mistaken, there must be a rerun of the same show recorded at different times, or two different channels, etc., etc., etc.  I patiently explained that was my first theory, too, so we walked back and forth between the two rooms confirming we were watching the same exact show, recorded at exactly the same time on exactly the same channel, and that it was the only show recorded at that time on only one of the two tuners.  I went up to the Supervisor, and she said she will forward it to Engineering.  I asked if I will hear back from them.  "Only if they need more information".

So, the question is, I suppose:  Is embedded content recorded along with what we actually see on the playback?  I mean, yes, there's SAP audio on some subcarrier, there's Closed Captioning.  You can watch it or not.  But different commercials?  Does the DVR sense my location, and feed me different content based upon my geographic location?  I would've thought the Satellite would interrogate my receiver to get that info, and transmit the appropriate content.  For example, local weather.  Sports blackouts.  And now: different commercials.  But, does the satellite send me two different commercials simultaneously, and my DVR record both?  What the...

So, there you go.

• Re: This is weird!  Different Commercials play back from different rooms.
    dcd

I agree with the CSR.  The program in question had multiple feeds and multiple playback times etc.  Some national broadcasts receive local commercials, so those would vary depending on your location.  I cannot specifically explain what occured here, but on any given channel at any given moment the content is the same for all viewers. 

sir_mak

If you still have the recordings check each one.  You will more than likely find that each DVR recorded a different channel (they're listed on the far right).

The network transmission (CBS, ABC, ESPN, etc.) controls when the commercial breaks occurs.  However the local affiliates have windows within these breaks in which to air local commercials instead of the network commercials.  One way to see this is with DirecTVs expanded sports coverage (like the French Open or the Masters). The expanded channels (around 700 I believe) are the network transmission and you will see the network commercials only.  If you switch to the local station that is also showing the event it may show the network commercial or a local one depending on the time.

There is no separate video channel (like the SAP audio channel) to embed additional video content in.

jcchastain

That just happened to me.

I know it's 5 months since your post.  But this weekend, I had the same station on 3 receivers - 2 HD and 1 SD.  The SD and one HD played one commerciial, the other HD played a different commercial.  I couldn't (and still really can't) figure it out.  I stopped trying.

But you're not crazy.  It happens.

upthereinthesky
    Thanks!  I feel better now.  @Sir Mark: we only have one DVR.  And there was only one listing displayed.  Now, just possibly:   the dual tuner dvr recorded two stations, but the play list shows only one?  Hmmm.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    dcd

The HD broadcast is totally independent from the SD version, even comes from a different satellite.

west99999tech

This could be some of the new commercials DTV is trying to put together where the ads are targeted at specific people based of certain things so one receiver may have different software from the other or that receiver may be getting those targeted ads and the other not.

smitbret

I do know that DirecTV is inserting specific ads on DVR boxes right now that are flagged to playback over another commercial under specific circumstances.  For example:

On my HR24 in the Living Room.  I was FF through commercials the other day and noticed a Dish Network add for the Hopper/Joey and I decided to Rew and play it back out of curiosity.  When I got to the previous commercial it went to a DirecTV commercial.  I though to myself, "Self, I could have sworn I saw a Dish commercial when I FF and Rewound through this spot before."  Discovered that when I would FF or Rew back and forth through it, I would get little blurbs and tidbits of the Dish commercial and when I would playback in normal time it would be the DirecTV commercial. 

And now that I think about it, I see a lot mroe DirecTV commercials than I used.  Now when I run through a DirecTV commercial I find myself FF/Rew to see if I can pick up the "Real" commercial.  I'll be darned if I haven't found 2 or 3 times that it was a Dish commercial that got replaced.

upthereinthesky

At's what I'm talkin' about!

I suspect that there is stuff embedded in the content, and filtered in or out by criteria we can only guess at.  Such that two boxes in the same house may display different content, but be accessing the same recording?  Quien sabe?

sir_mak

smitbret, I'll have to give that a try on one of my HRDVRs.  Which model HDDVR were you seeing this on?  I wonder if DirecTV is saving commercials onto the DVRs for both live insertion and for later playback?

That could explain what upthereinthesky saw, the HDDVR would have a saved commercial on it and the HD receiver wouldn't.  So the DVR would play that saved commercial over the normally broadcast one and the HD receiver would play the normal one.  

I wonder if any of the receivers that jcchastain has is a HDDVR?  I'll have to get my SD receiver hookup where I can watch it at the same time as one of the HDDVRs.

jcchastain

Yes, one of my receivers is an HDDVR.  It played "Commercial A".  Both the HD and SD non-DVR receivers played "Commercial B."  All receivers were on the same channel, and playing live. 

My wife was there at the time, and confirms it.  So I was not hallucinating (unless we both were.)

thurgozethatman

Just happened to me tonight! Had a game on a H20 and HR24. I was moving from room to room and noticed there was different commercial on the HR24. I double-checked to make sure I was on the same channel and that I wasn't behind in the tuner on HR24.

vicki@rushworld.comv

I know this is an old post, and I've had a slightly different but similar event.  I was watching a show I recorded weeks ago.  I was busy doing something else when the commercials started and didn't zip right away.  A commercial came on for some sporting event happening "tonight."  My husband came in and seemed very interested in the commercial, so I warned him, "This is a recording, that's not a current event."  He said, "No, that's tonight.  I've been reading about it."  I stopped the recording to show him that the live TV was playing something else.  Then I resumed the playback.  The commercial he had watched was gone.  I backed up and replayed the whole commercial break on the recording.  No sporting events.  If we hadn't both seen it, I'd wonder if I had hallucinated, though if he hadn't come in, I'd have let it play and never realized that it wasn't an old commercial.  Anyway, it appears DirecTV can insert current ads into old playbacks.