9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2014 11:22 AM by penright RSS

ESPN 3

jpmaxman

Was trying to watch the Ireland vs Spain match today at work and really disappointed to find out that I can't do so with Direc TV.  What's the deal?  Why doesn't this work just like HBO GO?  I pay for ESPN, shouldn't I be able to get ESPN 3 online?

• Re: ESPN 3
    peds48

Nobody  here can be able to tell you why.  the bottom line is that ESPN Go is not available with DirecTV.  note that we are customers like yourself.

barajas24
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jpmaxman 

Was trying to watch the Ireland vs Spain match today at work and really disappointed to find out that I can't do so with Direc TV.  What's the deal?  Why doesn't this work just like HBO GO?  I pay for ESPN, shouldn't I be able to get ESPN 3 online?

ESPN 3 is an online streaming service offered NOT by DIRECTV or any other TV provider directly but ESPN themselves, viewing this online channel will be determined by the INTERNET provider you have, not all internet providers partner with ESPN to allow this streaming service, you can take this complain to ESPN or your Internet provider. DIRECTV has no control over this.

visar

Hmmm... I think there is some confusion here. Below is the block of text from the ESPN website regarding the WatchESPN iPad app.

NOTE: There is a difference between ESPN 3 and all ESPN content. I think there is something that DIRECTV could do here to help out their customers.

DIRECTV, please work something out w/ ESPN on this. It would have made watching Euro 2012 much easier!!!! I had to use accounts of friends that had Comcast XFINITY. Is that something you really want to see happen??????

How can I get access to all ESPN networks available on WatchESPN?

Online registration through your TV service provider is required in order to access content on all networks. Non-participating TV provider customers have access to ESPN3 programming online only at WatchESPN.com, as long as they subscribe to a participating high speed internet service provider. Click here for a list of participating video providers. Click here for a list of high speed internet providers.

jpmaxman
    Exactly. When I was at work I was able to use friends time warner and AT&T u-verse accounts to gain access. Just like with HBO go. This is totally something direc tv can fix and is a reason why I am canceling my service.  They also don't give you access to Showtime on the internet.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    gfraser123

No I'm afraid this post is incorrect.  ESPN3 is an online service yes, and is what's behind the "Watch ESPN" app for iPhone/iPad.  So yes you will need an ISP (an internet connection) to access ESPN3.  But you can't actually watch any programming there unless your cable/satellite company has a deal with ESPN (it has nothing to do with your ISP).  The reason we all cannot watch ESPN3 is because DirecTV has not cut a deal with ESPN.  It's a major pain point for me, I'm considering dropping DirecTV and going back to cable just because of this.

gfraser123
    No I'm afraid this post is incorrect. ESPN3 is an online service yes, and is what's behind the "Watch ESPN" app for iPhone/iPad. So yes you will need an ISP (an internet connection) to access ESPN3. But you can't actually watch any programming there unless your cable/satellite company has a deal with ESPN (it has nothing to do with your ISP). The reason we all cannot watch ESPN3 is because DirecTV has not cut a deal with ESPN. It's a major pain point for me, I'm considering dropping DirecTV and going back to cable just because of this.Quote:    Originally Posted by barajas24 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmaxman 

ESPN 3 is an online streaming service offered NOT by DIRECTV or any other TV provider directly but ESPN themselves, viewing this online channel will be determined by the INTERNET provider you have, not all internet providers partner with ESPN to allow this streaming service, you can take this complain to ESPN or your Internet provider. DIRECTV has no control over this.

owlski
    gfraser123 is correct.  I have a DirecTV account that provides all the ESPN networks and a high speed Internet account with Time Warner, which does participate with ESPN in offering ESPN3.  I have registered to watch ESPN3 on that site and I can get to the "Watch Now" screen, but when you select the programming, I get the following message: 
    "It appears that your cable subscription does not currently include access to this content. If you would like to discuss your viewing options, or believe that you have received this message in error , please contact us at www.timewarnercable.com / contact (Message: QE12DCSN01)" 
    Of course my cable subscription doesn't include access because I don't have a cable TV subscription from Time Warner, only an Internet account.  Time Warner explains that, "This service is available for no additional charge to TWC subscribers with ESPN in their video package." Anyone that says this is an ISP issue is kidding themselves.  DirecTV needs to make a deal with ESPN so we can get what we're paying for.

Originally Posted by gfraser123  
    No I'm afraid this post is incorrect. ESPN3 is an online service yes, and is what's behind the "Watch ESPN" app for iPhone/iPad. So yes you will need an ISP (an internet connection) to access ESPN3. But you can't actually watch any programming there unless your cable/satellite company has a deal with ESPN (it has nothing to do with your ISP). The reason we all cannot watch ESPN3 is because DirecTV has not cut a deal with ESPN. It's a major pain point for me, I'm considering dropping DirecTV and going back to cable just because of this.Quote:
    Originally Posted by barajas24  
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpmaxman  

bkrezman

I have had Directv for over 15 years.  I used to have Windstream as my ISP and I was able to access ESPN3 programming with that, even though I had Directv.  However, since switching to Time Warner for my broadband service, I am in the same boat as owlski above.  No ESPN3 without Time Warner TV service.  SO, it seems to me that this is indeed an ISP issue. Time Warner is my ISP but they will not allow me access to ESPN3 if I don't have their TV service as well. So it isn't Directv keeping me from ESPN3, it is TWC because I don't have their whole enchilada!

penright

Here we are Dec 2014 and I guess we are still out of luck. I maybe regretting my decision to re-up with Direct TV.