25 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2012 9:10 PM by bricc2745 RSS

Security Key Not Accepted

bricc2745

I have recently switched internet providers and am trying to connect my HI DEF DVR to a comcast gateway router, the network name is there however when I punch in my security key it wont allow me in. I have triple checked the password and it is right..( not a case sensitive problem not a dash or anything) i know the wifi works as i have 2 i-phones and a laptop connected to it. I have also tried rebooting in every possible combination of ways, when i hook up the ethernet cable directly to the DVR i can get online, but i would rather not have a cord running across the floor. I attached a file of instructions i already tried several times

• Re: Security Key Not Accepted
    peds48

try holding the reset button on the back of the CCK-W for 30 seconds. then on your HDDVR press

MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS. the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours. once it finds your SSID, select your network name. if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password. if successful, you will get a message that says "congratulations, your receiver is connected to the internet" Note that your SSID and/or password cannot have any spaces and/or special characters

Many people aren't aware of the differences between entering security codes when the router is in WEP mode vs. WPA. When entering security keys, if you see the 2nd field appear on the setup screen that shows 'key # (1-4)' then the router is using WEP and only hexidecimal security codes may be entered. You can use www.wepkey.com to covert a passphase to it's hexidecimal equivalant. With WPA you can use a passphrase and it's case sensitive. Other notes are below:

For SSIDs The following 6 characters are not allowed: ?, ", $, [, \, ] and the following 3 characters cannot be the first character: !, #, and ;.

Apple products automatically use the apostrophe character as a prefix, so the SSID must be manually edited to remove this.

For security keys:

For Apple products using WEP:

• Find the security key by using the Airport utility.
    • Go to the "Base Station" menu and select "Equivalent Network Password."

For WPA passphrases, to enter words or phrases with the remote's keypad:

1. Triple tap the number keys, like texting on a cell phone (like T9 language settings on a cell phone).
      • Ex:Press 2 once for the number 2, twice for the letter A, three times for B, etc.
    1. Keep pressing the same key to scroll through upper to lower case.
    2. Press zero [0] for a space; press zero twice for 0.
    3. Press Dash [-] for special characters.
    4. Press Enter for underscore.
    havasufamily

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I thought is was pointless in staring a new one when I am having the same exact issue.  I have tried all of the above and I am still getting the same results.  I do get the second field for WEP, entered the conversion still did not work.  Accessed my wireless router and made sure I was set for WPA and not WEP but I am still getting the second field.  It will not accept either passcode.  I am stumped.  Had a direct TV technician out and he was stumped too and left. :(

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by havasufamily 

I don't mean to hijack this thread, 

Please start your new thread.  it becomes very hard to try to help two or more folks on the same thread.  specially when using different equipment (routers, modem switches)

bricc2745

have recently switched internet providers and am trying to connect my HI DEF DVR to a comcast gateway router, the network name is there however when I punch in my security key it wont allow me in. I have triple checked the password and it is right..( not a case sensitive problem not a dash or anything) i know the wifi works as i have 2 i-phones and a laptop connected to it. I have also tried rebooting in every possible combination of ways, when i hook up the ethernet cable directly to the DVR i can get online, but i would rather not have a cord running across the floor. I attached a file of instructions i already tried several times

bricc2745

please read my post again and also view the attachment, the password is being entered correctly and i have already tried several times the above procedure that was recommended

bricc2745

my encryption is WPA-WPA-2 ( THE PASSWORD IS BEING ENTERED CORRECTLY IT IS A 6 LETTER WORD ALL LOWER CASE WITH 4 NUMBERS AFTER...NO DASHES.....NO SPACES.....

peds48

how about your SSID.

what is the model of your modem? router?

no need to use CAPS.....

bricc2745

it is an Comcast xfinity gateway

ARRIS  ( they are in caps )

TG 862

something else is strange, last night when i plugged the ethernet cable directly into the DVR it gave me the message that i was connected, but today when i was going back and forth trying to get the WIFI to connect it suddenly wouldn't allow the direct connection either, it just gives me error message 86-643. i rant through the re-booting sequence again...disonnect ethernet, reset CCK, unplug modem, re-set dvr and cannot get a hard connection or wireless, even when i took out the password to the WIFI and left it unlocked it wont let me connect, it sees it in the list available

peds48

with the HR24 you can either connect via coax or ethernet NOT both ways. connecting an ethernet cable and resetting the HDDVR enables the ethernet port and DISABLES the DECA circuitry. doing the opposite ENABLES the DECA.

since you have the receiver "confused" i would recommend to start from scratch and use the info on post #2 to get connected.  Make sure to connect the CCK-W via coax method and reset the receiver once the CCK-W is connected to the HDDVR via coax so that the receiver switches to its DECA circuitry 

bricc2745

Ok i followed the instructions again and am getting the same result, doesn't like the password for my wireless. When i reset the modem a second time it doesnt even look for the wireless networks available and now says error 86-643, this originally was working fine with the previous router and we did not change any wire configuration at all. Just when we replace the router it would not let the password authenticate

bricc2745

i have the coax cable going into my modem, there is a second coax coming off the modem into the dvr, and the ethernet cable connecting the modem to the back of the DVR

shannon1

There should be no Ethernet cable connected to the DVR only the coax.

bricc2745

understood, i have only coax going from CCK to DVR, MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS. the receiver will then scan for Wi-Fi networks and should d find yours. once it finds your SSID, select your network name. if your network is secured, it will ask you to type in your password

no luck, says network key is not valid

bricc2745

it also wont let me connect by connecting the ethernet right into the CCK with only coax going to DVR

bricc2745

i also tried following instructions in Post #1 with both the wireless setup and hardwire set up

and it still says Network key not valid for the wireless and "not connected" with a hard wire

dcd

You have made numerous posts and I might suggest that you slow down a bit. When folks state that "they've tried everything" this is my advice to them. There are only two ways to connect these things and if configured properly it takes about 5 minutes.

Now, the primary reason a password will not be accepted is the SSID (network name) has punctuation. For example, some Airport routers by default put an apostrophe in front of the name you type in and the "password not accepted" becomes an endless travail, as in your case. Another roadblock is setting the security code to WEP rather than WPA/WPA2 mixed, which is the default. A final roadblock is not having the DHCP enabled on the router or having MAC or IP filtering enabled.

In spite of the numerous posts, we don't know (at least I didn't see it) if you have a Whole Home DVR system, and if not, we don't know if you have a SWM system (press the dash button on the remote). And, we don't know for a fact the brand/model of the WI FI adapter you are using. We need to know those things before giving you a detailed connection sequence.

bricc2745

Ive made numerous posts becsuse it says i exceed my character limit...even though im nowhere near the 10000.  i tried to put my last 3 posts in one message and it would not allow me.

bricc2745

HI DEF DVR-HR24-500  dash button brings up this  Reciever 862098-SWiM connected- Internet never connected

Hi Def reciever-(downstairs)-H25-100 Receiver-230814 SWiM connected- Internet never connected

Comcast Gateway-Arrus TG-862

DCCK-DCAW1RO-01

DHCP is enabled on Router, SSID has no dashes simple one word name-password is correct,one word all lower case 2 numbers

2phones and laptop connect no problem with same password-----

dcd

And, do you have the Whole Home DVR service?  By the way, I cannot read the file you attached to post #1 so I'll assume you haven't tried anything and we'll go from scratch, okay?

jimmie57

This is from the original attached file. It appears to be your instructions dcd.

Disconnect the CCK from the DVR but leave the AC connected. Use a ball point pen to reset (hold in for one minute) the CCK in the small hole on the back. Check that the router has DHCP enabled (essential) and has no MAC or firewall enabled. Go to your router and disconnect AC power for a minute or so and power back up. Assure that the network name and password contains no symbols or punctuation other than numbers and letters. Do a red button (inside card door) reset of the DVR. When it's all booted up, connect the Ethernet Kit to DVR, then wait (patience, it takes a few) for the offer to connect and select your network and enter the password. You may get an invite to connect, is so, accept. If not do thus : Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> network setup -> restore defaults -> connect now. You should get a "connected to Internet" message. Allow 24 hours for the system to download then try downloading a concert from channel 1239 as a test.

bricc2745

I do have whole Home DVR ( i am assuming that is when you can access the contents of the DVR from the second receiver and also record back to it from receiver #2?). I have run through the above procedure several times. DTV phone support also had me press the "WPS" buttons on the CCK and Comcast modem then try to set up a wireless or hardwire connection. What is strange is the Advanced settings reflect the updated information for the IP address Subnet mask etc, and comcast said my router can see the Direct TV equipment...i wonder if this is a port issue?

bricc2745

can anyone help me out with this??

bricc2745

OK I figured it out, I had to have Comcast "bridge" the gateway and install my own router. I guess there is a compatibility issue with the

ARRIS TG 862 and my DTV CCK. As soon as I did that and went to MENU ➜ SETTINGS & HELP ➜ SETTINGS ➜ NETWORK SET UP ➜ RESTORE DEFAULTS ➜ CONNECT NOW ➜ GET CONNECTED ➜ WIRELESS i was in business.

I would thank you but you did nothing to help

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bricc2745 

I would thank you but you did nothing to help

Really??

At least you made me laugh....

Glad you are up and running, and kudos to you for figuring it out.

bricc2745

Thank you, ill be at Ann Arbor Comedy Showcase on Thursdays for Open Mic

But seriously shouldn't there be a little more attention to the idea that these Comcast  Gateway routers seem to have some compatibility problems with the DCCK?? I'm not trying to be difficult here but geez....man i was pulling my hair out, and I've been bald since '98