35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2013 1:05 PM by djdicetn RSS

HBOGO on Roku

lobbyist

Why doesn't Directv support HBOGO on Roku devices? Directv on demand doesn't work on non-DVR devices. For example, my bedroom has a H24 connected to whole home but I can't start a download from my bedroom.

HBOGO on Roku is a perfect compliment to Directv whole home DVR (which I have and love).

• Re: HBOGO on Roku
    dcd

Directv does not support a Roku connection.  No one here can do anything re the reasons except guess.

The H25 cannot carry the On Demand guide due to lack of a hard drive.  The OD Guide is actually a series of websites with many interactive features, thus requiring a hard drive to store it all.  I'm sure you're aware that you can download On Demand to the DVR and watch it on the H25.

litzdog911

I doubt it will ever happen.  DirecTV probably considers Roku as a competitor.  

kaminar

..or, Microsoft has the cash to keep Xbox exclusivity.. Wink

fyaluk

I just got a Roku. After installation I realized that DirecTV won’t allow me to use HBOGO on it for some strange reason. HBOOD is good but it does not have all seasons of every show i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by fyaluk 

I just got a Roku. After installation I realized that DirecTV won’t allow me to use HBOGO on it for some strange reason. HBOOD is good but it does not have all seasons of every show i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

DirecTV does not monitor these forums.  best to email your feedback to DirecTV as they wont see it here. but see post #3

djdicetn

And with what you are asking you probably need to contact HBO directly as well since DirecTV doesn't carry any weight regarding how HBO handles their On Demand(or HBOGO). DirecTV just carries it(On Demand) and it's customers are authorized to use it(HBOGO).

west99999tech
    Quote:    Originally Posted by fyaluk 

i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

Actually this is not correct as HBO OD through DTV has all episodes and seasons of all shows with only a few exceptions.

dcd

Directv supports HBO Go on a computer.  It does not support HBO Go on a Silex Coffee Maker or a Roku.  Any questions?

djdicetn

dcd,

Yeah, I even tried changing to Starbucks Pikes Roast blend and that coffeemaker still wouldn't pick up HBOGO!!!

todwest

I just cancelled my DirecTV order because of this. I spent close to an hour on the phone talking with a salesperson about how I was looking forward to being able to catch up with old episodes of The Wire on HBO Go. This, I told him, was a big thing for me. But the clueless boob apparently didn't know that DirecTV is blocking HBO Go on Roku devices. Either that or he was a baldface liar. I'm glad I found this out before tomorrow's appointment. Once again, DirecTV shows how petty and out-of-touch a company they are.

p.s. The hard drive argument doesn't hold water. HBO Go app is on my Roku as I write this, I just can't use it because DirecTV are a bunch of butthurt crybabies.

tenzinsam

We just tried to set up HBOGO on our roku only to find out that it is not available through Directv.  I called and spoke to a technical advisor who was unaware that DirectV did not provide this service.  She went online and saw that DirectV was not an option in activating HBOGO on Roku.  When I asked how this could be remedied she said that tech support has nothing to do with it and I would need to communicate with the president of DirectV.  This is ridiculous.  HBOOD does not provide what I am looking for as I tried to access Boardwalk Empire recently and it did not have all the episodes and didn't have them in the order I wanted and also had expiration dates.  Roku is no competition to Directv so I don't understand why they will not allow it to be provided since TimeWarner and Dish networks do.

todwest

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what rationale is behind this bizarre policy. But it's not a big deal. HBO is an absolutely worthless subscription, except for one or two shows. I'm happy to wait and give my money to Netflix, as DirecTV apparently doesn't want my business. I'm voting with my wallet. DirecTV will never get a cent out of me for HBO.

litzdog911

Nobody here can explain the reason.  Be sure to call DirecTV with your request.  They won't see it here. 

todwest

Already called and harangued repeatedly. They do not care.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by todwest 

Hard to say if they truly care or not.   Can only assume they have their reasons. 

dcd

A CSR has a job to do.  You call and ask, "does Directv support Roku?"

The CSR answers "no,sorry".

What is there to harangue about?  The CSR doesn't set policy.

todwest

Yes, and the moron executives that set this stupid policy are nicely insulated from the consumer, are they not? They pay their folks in the Philippines pennies per hour, while the latter takes the brunt of their boorish, rapacious, anti-consumer behavior. And I escalated this request to the highest level I could and still got nowhere. But, you're right. It's a privilege to pay through the nose. And DirecTV should be allowed to do whatever they want. If they screw their customers, we should say "thanks you, sir, can I have some more?" It's the American way not to complain when you're being reamed.

I'll harangue whomever I want, thank you.  

joed32

They have one call center in the P.I. all of the rest are in the U.S.. They do consider Roku a competitor as a lot of people are "cutting the cord", dropping their cable of sat providers and going with Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. via Roku.

todwest

Well, since I cannot access HBO Go without a paid subscription, which is only available through cable and satellite, I don't see how this competes with them. I have to pay the monthly fee if I want to watch no matter what I do. And they have no problems if I want to watch HBO Go on my smartphone, laptop or tablet. So why can't I watch it on my TV? It's absurd. But, as I said, I will cancel HBO just as soon as my free scrip runs out. It's just not worth the money.

joed32

They don't care, they don't want to encourage people to buy Roku's. It's not about HBO They don't want people to discover all of the other stuff you can get with the "little box".

west99999tech
    Quote:    Originally Posted by tenzinsam 

We just tried to set up HBOGO on our roku only to find out that it is not available through Directv.  I called and spoke to a technical advisor who was unaware that DirectV did not provide this service.  She went online and saw that DirectV was not an option in activating HBOGO on Roku.  When I asked how this could be remedied she said that tech support has nothing to do with it and I would need to communicate with the president of DirectV.  This is ridiculous.  HBOOD does not provide what I am looking for as I tried to access Boardwalk Empire recently and it did not have all the episodes and didn't have them in the order I wanted and also had expiration dates.  Roku is no competition to Directv so I don't understand why they will not allow it to be provided since TimeWarner and Dish networks do.

Not sure what is wrong with your HBOOD from DTV but I have all episodes of Boardwalk Empire from season 1 to the most currect season. Actually every show and season from all of HBO's are available with only a few limitations.

djdicetn

Can't resist....gotta weigh back in on this topic:0)

1)DirecTV does not allow me to stream any content related to their service(from any of their providers) through my Netflix account. I am not surprised or disappointed.

2)DirecTV does not allow me to stream any content related to their service(from any of their providers) through my Western Digital Live Media Hub(also a media streaming device "competitor" to DirecTV service.....just like a Roku, Boxee, etc.). I am not surprised or disappointed.

Why on earth are all of these DirecTV users with Roku devices "surprised" that they cannot stream HBOGO?????

I subscribe to HBO with DirecTV. I have HBO On Demand available on my DirecTV system. I am satisfied with having access to HBO content via DirecTV to watch at home on my HDTV's and that is what I pay DirecTV for. Why should I expect more?????

rtmcmjr

My Background: I have been software programmer for 22 years now since getting out of college ... everything from IBM mainframe computers to todays modern Internet applications. My point being I know what I'm talking about this with this stuff.

I have messing around with this streaming stuff and DirectTV for weeks now and it is really a joke!  It all boils down to one thing, DirectTV wants you to keep multiple boxes in your house. If Roku can sell a robust apps box that does HD Streaming video for $80.00 why must we pay $144.00 for a stupid DirectTV Nomad box.And then you can only stream on iPhone and Computer. Why not iPad? Who knows and it's ridiculous. I have written I OS apps and it's simply a matter of screen size. That's the only difference between programming for a iPhone vs. an iPad.

I am so disgusted with Direct TV at this point that I'm about to leave. I've been a customer for 6 years now and at one point had 4 DirectTV boxes in my house. But now that I cannot do HBO Go on my Roku I think I may switch to Cox Cable TV as it supports Roku.

Documented below are some points and examples of my frustration. 

* Example 1: I have DirectTV HD DVR HR22-100 ... it's been a **** good box. Wanted to watch programs off my DVR in my office while I working. I cannot do that without purchasing a Direct TV Nomad box for $144.00 dollars. Truly a way to make us pay more money.  There is ZERO programming reason for this. I could understand the use of Nomad box for security if you're going over the Internet to your hotel room but there is zero technical reason why I should not be able to watch a recorded program on my internal home network via the iPad app.

* Example 2: Today I purchased HBO for $17.99 a month primarily so my wife and I could watch HBO Go on our Roku box in the bedroom. Low and behold DirectTV is not an option for this. Cox Internet is and that is why I'm considering dropping DirectTV at this point.  Once again there is ZERO technical reasons for this. They allow you to use HBO Go on a Xbox if you have DirectTV but not Roku?  Stupid mistake.

* Example 3: The DirectTV iPad app is actually pretty nice except for the one fact that you cannot watch recorded shows.  Again, zero technical reason for this. If you can stream live TV and watch on demand shows so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to stream a recorded show. Again back to the point that they want you purchase more boxes like the Nomad.

Very sad it appears that DirectTv is going to get left behind in this world if IPTV.  I have been a satisfied DirectTV customer until now. To make matters worse when you call support they have clueless on these questions.

Sincerely,

Rob

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by rtmcmjr 

Very sad it appears that DirectTv is going to get left behind in this world if IPTV.  I have been a satisfied DirectTV customer until now. To make matters worse when you call support they have clueless on these questions.

Sincerely,

Rob

Be sure to send this directly to DirecTV. They won't see your feedback here. 

peds48

1. Make sure to ask your cable company about streaming your recorded shows inside your network.  AFAIK, only DISH and DirecTV have these features.  DirecTV uses the Nomad and DISH uses Sling.  there is a reason why.  But I wont tell you why since you should be able to figure it out  with your background!

kaminar

My Background: I have been software programmer for 22 years now since getting out of college ... everything from IBM mainframe computers to todays modern Internet applications. My point being I know what I'm talking about this with this stuff.

I have messing around with this streaming stuff and DirectTV for weeks nowand it is really a joke! It all boils down to one thing, DirectTV wants you to keep multiple boxes in your house.

I am so disgusted with Direct TV at this point that I'm about to leave. Documented below are some points and examples of my frustration.

* Example 1: I have DirectTV HD DVR HR22-100 ... it's been a **** good box. Wanted to watch programs off my DVR in my office while I working. I cannot do that without purchasing a Direct TV Nomad box for $144.00 dollars. Truly a way to make us pay more money. 

* Example 2: Today I purchased HBO for $17.99 a month primarily so my wife and I could watch HBO Go on our Roku box in the bedroom. Low and behold DirectTV is not an option for this. Cox Internet is and that is why I'm considering dropping DirectTV at this point. Once again there is ZERO technical reasons for this. They allow you to use HBO Go on a Xbox if you have DirectTV but not Roku? 

* Example 3: The DirectTV iPad app is actually pretty nice except for the one fact that you cannot watch recorded shows. Again, zero technical reason for this. If you can stream live TV and watch on demand shows so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to stream a recorded show. Again back to the point that they want you purchase more boxes like the Nomad.

I have been a satisfied DirectTV customer until now. To make matters worse when you call support they have clueless on these questions.

Sincerely,

Rob

So what you're really trying to say is that DirecTV's coding and security is pretty darned good, despite repeated attempts by 'experienced' coder to bypass/hack the system. I think you get the point now. Corporate should be glad to hear it.

-=K=-

rtmcmjr
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtmcmjr 

Sincerely,

Rob

Be sure to send this directly to DirecTV. They won't see your feedback here. 

Thanks ... I did that exact thing and posted on the FB page. Got a little action over there.  I sent it to the office of the president also.

peds48

Thanks ... I did that exact thing and posted on the FB page. Got a little action over there.  I sent it to the office of the president also.

let us know what they say

peds48
    todwest

Well, it took me a little while to figure this out. And here's a prediction: DirecTV will NEVER allow streaming on Roku. The reason? If you want to watch HBO Go in another room, the only way to do it currently is to add one of their small, ancillary boxes. And, given that each one of thses costs an additional $5 per month, DirecTV is making good money off denying its customers access to HBO Go on Roku. I believe this is a blatant anti-competitive practice and will be writing to my federal elected officials about this.

peds48

Well, it took me a little while to figure this out…….the only way to do it currently is to add one of their small, ancillary boxes. 

Not true, as you can watch HBOGo via XBOX360 as well as iOS devices using mirroring.  Perhaps if you have taken a little longer you would have figure this one out…

litzdog911

... I believe this is a blatant anti-competitive practice and will be writing to my federal elected officials about this.

Let us know how this works out. 

borg
    Djdicent, you should have resisted. Maybe you should try to understand what you're talking about before you weigh in.

Why are we surprised that DirecTV doesn't allow streaming of HBO GO with a Roku? Because DirecTV DOES allow you to stream HBO GO using an iPad. It's the same exact app, but on a different device. It's like if they wouldn't let you watch Showtime if you have a LG TV. It doesn't make sense.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    joed32

They see Roku as a competitor for their customers and they don't see iPad that way.

djdicetn

borg,

As pointed out by user joed32(and others) comparing a Roku & iPad is "apples and oranges" and makes no sense. The sole purpose of a Roku device is to deliver content(that as aptly put by joed32 is in direct competition with the service provided by DirecTV). An iPad is a tablet computer, no different than a desktop PC(which DirecTV also allows HBO GO to be delivered on). An XBOX360 is a gaming device, again not condsidered by DirecTV as "competition". Maybe you should consider more carefully what you are talking about before responding.