14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2012 10:39 AM by jrsellers RSS

'Stretch' Video Mode

jrsellers

Recently, my receiver was upgraded to the H23/600, and is' all good...except for one  thing.  When I change the screen format  to "Stretch" in order to make shows with a 4:3 ratio fit my widescreen TV, it doesn't seem to work cuz it's still pillarboxed.

This never happened with my previous receivers.  4:3 shows (like Fresh Prince...) were automatically re-sized to fit my TV.

• Re: 'Stretch' Video Mode
    texasbrit

If the 4:3 program you are watching is on an HD channel, the DirecTv box can't stretch the picture (and has NEVER been able to). This is because the signal is actually a 16:9 picture with the 4:3 picture embedded in it, and the sidebars are added by the station, they are part of the picture itself. If you are watching an SD channel, or if you watch the SD version of the HD channel, the DirecTv box can stretch the picture to fill the screen.

Most Tvs have the ability to stretch the picture if that is what you want.

dcd

Just an opinion, but if you can bring yourself to watch the picture as the station provides it (without any stretching) you'll get a much better quality picture albeit not always full screen.  Stretching images of pretty girls tends to make them all appear moon faced.

jrsellers
    Quote:    Originally Posted by texasbrit 

if you watch the SD version of the HD channel, the DirecTv box can stretch the picture to fill the screen.

Most Tvs have the ability to stretch the picture if that is what you want.

I'm gonna try that.  To night, when Fresh Prince comes on, I'll tune to the SD version of ABC Family with stretch mode on, and see if it works.

jrsellers
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 

Just an opinion, but if you can bring yourself to watch the picture as the station provides it (without any stretching) you'll get a much better quality picture albeit not always full screen.  Stretching images of pretty girls tends to make them all appear moon faced.

Well, as I said, HD or SD...I can't tell much difference in the video quality.

As for "moon faces"  Never happened with my old D-300 receiver which, as I mentioned, auto-stretched my picture (most likely cuz it wasn't an HD receiver).

texasbrit

You can't stretch the picture without distorting peoples faces/bodies. You can "zoom" it, but then you will lose the top and bottom of the picture. Or you can watch it in 4:3 with sidebars, which is how it is supposed to be watched...

jrsellers

I couldn't wait 'til tonight, so I tuned to "Rules of Engagement", another show that was pillarboxed on the HD version of my local CW affiliate (WRBJ), but on the SD version, the show was in fact stretched, to fit my TV, and that was w/o stretch mode on...no noticeable distortion. However, Ididactually see a difference in video quality. The HD version wasslightly, slightly, slightly(almost unnoticeably)less blurry.

I also did some testing between regular BBCA, and BBCHD, and I noticed on BBCA, "Kitchen Nightmares" was letterboxed, but on BBCAHD...no black bars.

Incidentally, my current video settings are as follows:

• Native: On
    • Screen Format: Original
    • Bars: Black

TV Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)

Available Resolutions:

• 480i
    • 480p
    • 720p
    • 1080i
    peds48

you  video settings should are as follows:

• Native: Off
    • Screen Format: Pillar Box
    • Bars: Black

TV Ratio: Widescreen (16:9)

Available Resolutions:

• 1080i

jrsellers
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

you  video settings should are as follows:

• Native: Off
    • Screen Format: Pillar Box

Why?

peds48

Because unless you have an external super escaler (which cost thousands of dollars) the scaler inside the DirecTV receiver might be as good as the one inside your TV.  pillar box keeps the original aspect ratio of SD programs

jrsellers

Look, I already got the answer to my original p ost, so just let me watch TV the way I want.  Is that ok with you?

texasbrit

It's OK with me, but you are misunderstanding what is going on.  The SD version of many channels is in fact a 4:3 segment of the 16:9 picture. If you look at it, it is missing the right and left sides of the HD picture. A good clue is that on the HD picture where there is also an SD channel, you will typically see the channel logo some way in from the right hand side of the picture. On the SD version, it will be at the right hand side, showing where the picture has been cropped to fill the screen.

jrsellers

I'm perfectly aware of what's going on. 4:3 shows on HD channels are pillarboxed, and on SD channels on a widescreen TV, their stretched. Why? 2 different signals.

I just don't like watching pillarboxed shows on a widescreen TV. Strangely tho, letterboxed shows and movies don't bother me....as long as the black bars on the top and bottom aren't too pronounced.

BTW, the other night I happened on a windowboxed show cuz my screen format was set on Pillarbox...weird.

dcd
    Quote: Originally Posted by jrsellers  

Look, I already got the answer to my original p ost, so just let me watch TV the way I want.  Is that ok with you?

The folks who have responded to you here are all committed to you enjoying your system.  At the same time you posted here, apparently a bit confused as to what was occurring on your TV.  Resolutions and aspect ratios etc. are frequently misunderstood and the aim here was to have you fully informed.
    A final word.  If you see little or no difference between a SD and HD feed of any particular program, then the program was produced in SD and there is nothing your receiver or TV can do to make it HD.  There is a HUGE difference between a good HD image and a SD one.
    Enjoy your TV, post back any time.
    jrsellers

IDK if this is why watching a "stretched" 4:3 show (no pillarboxing) looks "normal" on my Widescreen TV, but maybe the fact that my TV is only 26 inches wide has something to do with it. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm never gonna watch HD, but right now, I'm just gonna stick with what I'm used to; and say what you want, but everything looks great my TV.   SD...HD...no real difference in quality...except people looked a bit thinner on the HD channels.

I think HD was really designed for TVs larger than my 26 inch LCD. My mom has a 40 inch plasma, and she watches the HD channels. She says everything looks fine on hers.