11 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2012 7:52 PM by ej8 RSS

Media share on Mac computer

candydane
I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad2 networked with my TVs.  I can watch and manage directv content on my Mac and iPad.

How do I configure my Mac/iPad so I can see my computer contents on my TVs?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • Re: Media share on Mac computer
    dcd

I don't run a Mac so can't tell you specifically.  However I believe there are a number of third party servers that when installed on your computer will show under extras on a networked HD DVR.  Perhaps one of our Mac users will chime in and help out.

kaminar

Serviio is a great/free server for local content..the learning curve is moderate/medium, but if you own any Sony equipment, you will recognize the interface. There are some others that work well, but not free. Another option (and relatively hassle free) is the Apple TV ($99)..it connects directly to your tv and will serve your local media very well.

Good luck!

-=K=-

candydane

I'll try Serviio -- price is right! Money mouth

I'd plan to buy an Apple TV in a couple months anyway so worst case I'll just wait until then.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question!

elkgrovelady

What is the "Apple TV ($99)..it connects directly to your tv.."  Is this a software program?

elkgrovelady

While working within Windows Media Player to set up my music files into the Directv  music program, I see there is a "sync" list where I supposedly add the titles I wish to "sync" to the DVD receiver for the program.  I don't know if this is necessary.  At the top of this list there is a box that says "connect a device."  Am I supposed to connect my TV to this sync process; and if so, how?  I believe most of my music files are on the media share program on the TV;  they just need updating and placed in the right genre boxes.  Some titles have formats other than MP3 and apparently have to be converted.  Any advice is appreciated.

fragile

no you do not need to do any syncing, i think you need to just refresh your music library.

elkgrovelady

I am having a problem reconciling the music titles I have on the TV screen and my music library using Windows Media Player.  I somehow have to sync the two or whatever it takes to get my library and playlists in tact onto the tv program.    There are hundreds of titles on the tv screen that don't match my library;  but they are my music songs.  I don't know where they came from.  Also my library shows up now with a lot of flagged titles that say I can't open because I can't find the original  where they came from????  Just another problem to figure, I don't seem to be able to figure where that original is.  Help????

fragile

try the steps on the bottom of this post

http://forums.directv.com/message/11126691#11126691

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by elkgrovelady 

I am having a problem reconciling the music titles I have on the TV screen   Help????

It's a lot easier to assist you if you'd restrict your discussion to a single thread.  Having a cross conversation with several posters can get real confusing.

ej8
    Quote:    Originally Posted by kaminar
    Another option (and relatively hassle free) is the Apple TV ($99)..it connects directly to your tv and will serve your local media very well.

Good luck!

-=K=-

This is not true for streaming video. AppleTV can not stream local video media. Unless it is jailbroken. And the AppleTV 3 has yet to be jailbroken even though its ben out about a year. If you want to access local content you need an AppleTV 2 and it needs to be jailbroken.