2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2012 11:02 AM by djdicetn RSS

How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23

bg2pres

I have a problem that I need help on.

I have a son that plays college baseball. He may be playing on TV this spring. I would like to record that video and keep for his kids one day. I have a HR23 and HR24 boxes.

What is the best way to record TV for long term storage. (like a VCR in the good ol' days, but with better HD qualities)!

Thank you!

• Re: How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23
    dcd

Recording in full HD is not available, but recording on a DVD recorder connected to your DVR via component cables produces very nice pictures.  The procedure would be just like VCR, play the program and record as you watch.

• Re: How to capture HDTV for long term storage with DirecTV HR23
    djdicetn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bg2pres

I have a problem that I need help on.

I have a son that plays college baseball. He may be playing on TV this spring. I would like to record that video and keep for his kids one day. I have a HR23 and HR24 boxes.

What is the best way to record TV for long term storage. (like a VCR in the good ol' days, but with better HD qualities)!

Thank you!

bg2pres,

I have my HD DVR(HR20-700) connected via S-Video to a Sony GX-315 DVD recorder(this is approx. a 7-yr-old model) and when I record programs with the DVD recorder set for Progressive Scan the quality of the DVD recordings at SP speed(up to 2 Hrs on a standard DVD-R), when the "source" program on my HR20 was recorded in HD, is equal to the quality of a "standard store-bought DVD movie". When they are played back on my Bluray player(which upconverts to HD) there are very good quality(not HD, but very good). I concur with user dcd, that a DVD recorder is your best option for recording your son's games.