32 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2012 9:02 AM by krawlspaceking RSS

c31 not finding server

ceenasty

i didn't see first post show up so putting up as second to get some responses.  smw 16,  12 tuners, hmc, 2 clients, 2 hr24s, 3 h25s... everything working including whole home except two clients continue rebooting when searching for server, occasionally it finds hr34 but immediately goes back to try again.... reset redownloaded software did everything i know to do as far as troubleshooting to no avail.... any ideas please i'm going back on monday and need some help.... thx

• Re: c31 not finding server
    ceenasty

and there are 2 four ways off swm 16.... first 4 way has hmc, clients and one of the hr24s....thats 7 tuners.  second 4 way has hr24 and 3 h25s thats 5 tuners....  it was the most balanced i could make it wifi deca off second 4 way behind hr24... prewired rg6, new wall plates, connectors, jumpers, perfect signal

1dahomastertech

Had this issue the other day, but it found the server after resetting the HMC (allowing it to download additional software on its own). After activating the HMC, verifying the picture came in (actually I went to 206ESPNHD to make sure we had something) I closed all the client line items on the handheld, went to the HMC settings/whole-home/add client and got the pin, and they found the server shortly after that.

If your line items are all closed, and your HMC has the most recent software, and you've performed a hard reset on it and allowed it to download the additional software needed to connect to the internet, and you've successfully connected to the internet and acquired a code 88-xxx, and then reset all the c-31 clients, and are still not finding the server... I would try a few things...

Perhaps take the client out of the room its in, and place it next to the HMC via a 2 way swm splitter and run another HDMI or 10-pin composite/component cable to another video input on the TV the HMC is on. After plugging in the Client, if it STILL doesn't find the server, that at least tells you it's most likely not the cabling, but may indicate the client or the HMC is having issues. If it is successful in discovering the server and connects, then take it back into the original room and reboot... if it doesn't connect... you have a cabling issue.

Your installation as you described it looks good, the only problem may be in the pre-wired cabling, if there's a staple or something in it. We know that never happens! :)

Good luck! hope your day goes better Monday.

ceenasty

quick question... customer had internet installed today as well but tech nor customer had laptop to check internet connectivity... needless to say internet wasn't working and tech left... so i could not get 88 codes on anything because i knew i was going back there on monday... because the wifi deca was locked on router using wps, could that have anything to do with c31 not finding server i didn't think so but never had this issue.... and i was thinking wiring but its a giant house that this dude is not gonna let me rerrun anything.... so when i go back i will def try the two way behind the server and go from there.... just a nightmare of a job let me tell ya....

ceenasty

8 rooms, 2 tvs in the house, and three flights up and down and up down with 40 inch tv was not fun..... nor easy for troubleshooting

1dahomastertech

Using WPS to connect the Wifi Deca shouldn't effect the C-31 clients in attempting to find the HMC server.  I'm assuming your SWM 16 and all splitters are in a media panel, due to the size of the house, and I'm also assuming the cable is quad-shield.  After verifying the cable is rated to 3gigs and ensuring the fittings are properly fitted and not squished or kinked, I would try the 2 way splitter behind the HMC and see if it works.  If it fails to find the server then you may have a bad client or a bad HMC.  Did you close the job yet?  Hopefully it's still open or FOSS may be able to re-open the job once you're on site.  Worst case scenario you may generate an NC truckroll if you need to swap the client or HMC.

Another option... I've had a few 4 way swm splitters in recent past that wouldn't pass the mrv playlist or moca signals through them and have had to replace them.  If you have time, try swapping the 4 way splitters with 8 way splitters before swapping any boxes. 

Good luck!

ceenasty

i started with a 2 way and an 8 way, becuase originally no clients were on order.  the two way had the hmc and the hr24 that were both going in the master bedroom (and attached master living room) and the rest of the boxes on the 8 way.  customer decided to add two rooms, and directv offered the clients for no charge.  so at first i kept them on 8 way as they didn't take up any tuners, but when that didn't work i figured they needed to be on same splitter as hmc, so i reconfigured smw to the two 4-ways. in any case, its not quad shield its solid copper 6 none is swept to 3 ghz but its prewired with no way to rerun cables.  i've done prewire with clients and had no issues, and the problem is in more than one room so i'm probably gonna swap the hmc if the two way splitter behind it doesn't work... job was put on hold as i was not about to close it out without resolving the issue.   just can't stand not knowing why things don't work, i pride myself on my work and this customer must have thought i was a newbie after spending 7 hours there and still not figuring it out... but then again, customers think our job is easy.... i love running four lines through the 3 car garage to the smw 16 so no cables are shown on the outside....

krawlspaceking

I've never had a problem with an HR34, but i've heard other techs talking about the known issues with the HR34's. I was talking to a veteran tech and he told me that this new genie system is going to create a lot of service calls and chargebacks because of the problems the HR34's have. As far as troubleshooting goes I would replace the 4ways with 8 ways, service swap the HR34 and clients. If u think the wifi is a problem put in a BBD. Let us know what u figure out because i got a feeling i'm headed to the same scenario soon. Might be a silly question but r u activating the HR34 first and having it up and running before doing any clients and then activating everything else beginning with the HR24's? Only other thing i can think of: take out the swm 16 and put up a second dish for the HR34 and clients Tongue out

krawlspaceking

I don't think the clients would have to be on the same splitter as the server on a swm 16. Ur problem must lie in the HR34. I would replace it first and see if the clients pick it up. If not, change out the clients. I never try to troubleshoot directv's junk boxes from china. If there's a problem i'll replace the box first. U might not have extra servers and clients on truck so thank directv for for your NC experience!

ceenasty

it was a mover's customer had all receivers minus the hr34 and clients.... i made sure everything was up and running that the customer owned, checked mrv which was working, then started on the 34, forced software, activated, changed settings went to whole home add new clients then went upstairs with clients and set them up (one on second floor one on third floor).  initial setup was identical with both clients saying searching for server, try again.  only a few times and rather quickly it would find server, i would quick put code in, get to call directv screen. but before i even submitted info into handheld client would return to searching for server try again... since its the first client i've installed in a swm 16 environment, i initiially leaned toward splitter setup as issue so changed setup in garage... then went through house pulled every wall plate off, replaced connectors (which were all ppc compression anyway) and wall plates....  even moved client to different room that had fully functioning h25 hooked up.... same result... the more i think of it i'm thinking i might need to replace hmc but that is always my last resort as too many techs refuse to troubleshoot and just start with the box... i'm not saying the quality of our equipment is best but after installing for 7 years i give directv the benefit of the doubt because somehow i always find some issue within customers house causing issue...

krawlspaceking

True. Some troubleshooting is required no matter what but the 7 hours u spent on the job that's not completed, all ur personall frustration, sprinting up and down stairs, and the customer thinking, "this guy............................?", and calling into directv and complaining. It's not worth it. I mean 7 hours on one job is a money and sanity killer. Hey i've been there too. And i think this client thing is going to cause more problems than it will solve. So if there's a problem i start by replacing the box unless experience or circumstances tells me otherwise. If u replace the box first at least you've eliminated that option and can move thru the troubleshooting progression. Another thing is that if u start tinkering with a prewired house and replace all fittings, barrells, the customer is going to think there house is messed up. Not good. I tell the customers all the equipment is made in china. I mean do u go to service calls and spend hours troubleshooting dish, lnb, cables, splitter, replace all that and still no fix. Replace box, all is well, customer is happy with new equipment, throw in a new remote and u get a kickbutt post call. You've been installing a lot longer than me so i'm not telling u anything. All i know is i can't pull that kind of time on a job and make any money.    

ceenasty

well the job pays 160, so it was worth it for the first four hours as that was just the dish the wiring and the switch setup... the rest of the time was running around with the tv and troubleshooting, which with one tv is darn near impossible, so i hear ya, in retrospect i should have swapped it out, but i had  alot of things goin on there. the last two hours i was running around like a madman because i was hungry thirsty tired dirty and knew the customer had to leave, so i wasn't really thinking straight lol.  what a wonderful job so good for maintaining proper mental and physical health....

krawlspaceking

Correction. That is a pretty good sized job. U could spend up to 7 hours on it and still be ok if u didn't have others to get to.

krawlspaceking

I feel ur pain, i've been there. Let me know what the fix is because i know this is going to happen to me and many others. Sorry u had to be the guinea pig on this one. We don't have a lot of servers at our wharehouse so keeping 2 on truck for these instances is going to be impossible right now. NC Truckroll! Maybe i'll change my name to NCTRuckRollKing! 

ceenasty

well i left the job open and my sup put it on hold so no nc fortunately i'm going back tomorrow and hopefully the dude brings a couple more tvs over so i can get a break but i'll report back as to the solution if i figure it out.  considering nobody has any experience with it i guess i'll be on my own if i can't figure it out, maybe just put in two more h25s and tell him to deal with it

west99999tech

All RVU Client TV’s must be connected to the same SWiM splitter as the HMC HD DVR (HR34).

ceenasty

as i stated originally they were not, but i reconfigured splitters so now they are on same splitter it made no difference same issue

west99999tech
    Quote: Originally Posted by krawlspaceking  

I don't think the clients would have to be on the same splitter as the server on a swm 16. Ur problem must lie in the HR34. I would replace it first and see if the clients pick it up. If not, change out the clients. I never try to troubleshoot directv's junk boxes from china. If there's a problem i'll replace the box first. U might not have extra servers and clients on truck so thank directv for for your NC experience!

October 21, 2012 1:04 PM | #17
    Quote Quick Reply More Options Hide Options
    Forward Report Abuse Print View Similar Content

as i stated originally they were not, but i reconfigured splitters so now they are on same splitter it made no difference same issue

I just posted this so everyone else will know that the clients have got to be on the same splitter to work.

krawlspaceking

Well i stated that i think they wouldn't have to be. If they have to be then i appreciate the info. I haven't put any clients on a 16 yet.

nebtech
    I have a swim sixteen in my home clients are on seperate ports of sixteen they work fine. I have also been told that u have to download the hmc before u activate and after before u do rhe clients. Didnt do it once and had the clients looking for server then sayin location not authorized. Did the downloads on next install no problems
    dielray
    The C31s can be on different ports on the SWM16. They work just like MRV when it comes to port rules. There is some loss on the 16's crossover.

There is a secret menu on an integrated DECA receiver that gives you stats on the DECA network. This can be accessed by pressing Right+Guide at the same time on the front panel.

I suggest going to this menu on the HR34.

Go to Coax. The first thing that shows up is loss. 40 or greater is too much. If you see any that is 40 or greater, you'll have to rethink the splitter arrangement. Phy rate is the 2nd menu. Think of this like signal strength. Ignoring the diagonals, these should be greater than 230 or so. If they aren't start replacing connectors and barrels.

If both of those look good and you see the C31s listed, it should work on the hardware side. Next step is just unplugging the C31s. Reset the HR34. If it doesn't have the most recent software update it. Wait for it to boot up fully. Plug back in the C31s and enter the pin.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    west99999tech

Blast fact from DTV states otherwise.

Critical points to remember:

HR34 supports a maximum of 3 concurrently active sessions: e.g., 3 RVU sessions, 2 RVU + 1 MRV

sessions, etc. The HMC HD DVR is compatible with both RVU and MRV enabled locations throughout the

home.

RVU Client will only utilize a SWiM channel when in use.

Only 3 RVU clients can be viewed at once due to the HMC HD DVR (HR34) requiring 2 available tuners for

the HDDVR functionality.

Up to 8 registered RVU clients will be supported from a single HMC HD DVR (HR34) (but only 3 may be

active at any one time).

All RVU Client TV’s must be connected to the same SWiM splitter as the HMC HD DVR (HR34).

The HMC HD DVR and the HR34 both represent the same product and act as a high performance HD DVR

1dahomastertech

In the future, You must close the client line items before adding the client on the HMC.  Once ALL client line items are closed, you can add client and use the same pin on each client.  Keep in mind, you must leave the Pin screen up on the HMC for the pin to work. So if you leave it up while activating each client the same pin can be used.   This has worked well for me.  But, the key is to activate the dvr (before plugging the clients into power) verify picture comes in, then close the client line items (all of them), then add client on HMC to get the pin, then plug them into power and they should be ready to enter pin.  Hope that helps in future.

Since you already activated all clients and HMC and they're not finding server, you'll have to troubleshoot cables and splitters before swapping the box.  If you swap the box and it works for a while, but the cable was the underlying problem, it would be bad customer service.  Putting the 2 way behind the dvr and moving the client onto it (or running a ghost jumper from the 2 way all the way through the house to the client if its easier) will confirm whether or not the cabling or splitter is the cause of your server not responding. 

It's a bit more work, but will be worth it in the long run since you'll know how to avoid these problems in the future. Good luck!

dielray
    Quote:    Originally Posted by west99999 

The 12/20/2011 Tech Tip does say that. It also misleadingly states an RVU Client uses a SWM channel when in use. Makes you wonder if the author was an intern.

There is nothing wrong with keeping the clients on the same splitter. In most cases the loss would be less than having them on a different splitter. That said, there could be a situation where splitter arrangement makes sense with the clients on the other side.

west99999tech
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dielray 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by west99999 

The 12/20/2011 Tech Tip does say that. It also misleadingly states an RVU Client uses a SWM channel when in use. Makes you wonder if the author was an intern.

It actually says.

"Each RVU client will leverage 1 of the 5 SWiM channels from the HMC HD DVR (HR34)."

Which is correct.

dielray
    Quote:    Originally Posted by west99999

It actually says.

"Each RVU client will leverage 1 of the 5 SWiM channels from the HMC HD DVR (HR34)."

Which is correct.

It also states that right before "Critical Points to Remember." My point was the document doesn't seem well written. Of the 6 points presented, I have a problem with 3 of them.

RVU Client will only utilize a SWiM channel when in use.

This is simply a misleading statement. Yes, if one reads a little before one understands what is meant. Many techs would be confused by that statement.

Only 3 RVU clients can be viewed at once due to the HMC HD DVR (HR34) requiring 2 available tuners for

the HDDVR functionality.

If this was truly the limiting factor, why do they not allow more than 3 MRV streams? Why does MRV count against the RVU streams? Why do they not allow a fourth C31 to watch a recording?

This is incorrect.

I also disagree that the HR34 is ahigh performance HD DVR. It's a bit slow for my tastes Tongue out.

bufmufr

One thing I would point out...

That is not stated on swm 16 installations..

I would hope they were just implying that all rvu installations have to be on same splitter/switch...

And I do not understand (or would think) that you would have to have all clients on one splitter with hr34..

8 clients PLUS the hr34 equals 9 cables..do we have a 9 way splitter? ;)

it is all about networking...get all clients on same network...it should all work together.

ceenasty

so here goes......  after waiting over an hour for the customer to show up after a 10 hour day, i went inside and went straight to the hr34.  yesterday the customer brought his computer there and finished setting up his internet connection, which turns out was the problem!!!! as soon as the 34 got an 88 code, the clients went through like a breeze and everything is good... i knew it wasn't anything i did, just a shame i didn't just disconnect the wifi deca from the system when the internet wasn't working...  so, sounds strange sounds like it should not have been the problem but apparently it was.  i did do the hidden system trick right guide, no levels over 40 so i am assuming no loss was too great on all 8.  anyway i'm exhausted as usual just wanted to update and let y'all know i appreciate the input.

krawlspaceking

Did u say that when u did the initial install u only had 1 tv to work with? And i'm assuming the wifi decca was installed using the cable to lnb and to ird and not the ethernet cord? So the wifi decca was stopping the clients from seeing the server? Wondering if installing a wifi decca with the cables or ethernet cord interferes with the clients. Or just having a wifi on there period that's not connected to the internet interferes with the clients?

nebtech
    Here is a strange one. 1Hr34 and 3 clients swm 3 and a wifi deca. The clients will not turn back on when the deca is plugged in and working. You have ro unplug the clients so they will turn back on. You also get some picture hazing when the deca is on. Take the deca outand everything works fine.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    krawlspaceking

Death to wifi decca's! I don't get paid to put in wifi's so i just don't do em. Call direct have them mail u the CCK and good luck installing it. Went to my first server client service call today. Oh boy, here we go i have no idea how to troubleshoot these things except for what i've read. Got neck deep in the brown stuff real quick after i reset the server and clients, forced software downloads, went to add a client screen, went to the clients and nothing, no server found. The customer asks me what the problem is, I say i don't know? Turns out the inhouse tech that did the original install left a dish splitter, holland red label, which was running the server. The dish splitter allowed the iv retest to pass but was blocking the mrv frequiences. strange. Thankfully this splitter was in an unfinished basement and not a krawlspace or attic like normal. Thanks dish! Enjoy ur chargeback inhouse!

Krawl - 1, Clients - 0. 

nebtech
    Okay in respone to my earlier post, followed up with customer today. I guess 2 engineers were out there today and figured out was going on. The customer is running a torrent program on his computer and this was causing the problem. Some how it is causing a conflict thru the wifi deca which in turn messes with the clients. I guess they have seen it before and everything works fine when the torrent program is not running                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    krawlspaceking

Dang. U had the deck stacked against u on that one.