49 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2012 6:38 PM by peds48 RSS

Problems with the Directv genie C31 clients

fritoman

I just had DTV set up Monday the 29th , I have  3 C31 clients with one HR34 Genie setup,

Today when i started up one of the clients all I get is a white screen , I then went to the main HR34 to check if it was showing any clients and it wasn't , Then i reset the HR34 then the clients started back up OK. Later in the afternoon i went back to the TV with the client and the same thing happened  got the white screen, so I called the DTV installer and he told me to reset the HR34 and then put in the code 02468 as soon as it said hello on the screen, Then it went through the reset process and the clients came back on. everything is fine for now i will log back on here later to give an update on if this fixed the problem or not.

Thank You

• Re:  Problems with the Directv genie C31 clients
    dcd

If this occurs again try doing a red button reset on the HR34 plus all the clients.

johnbadrov
    This has been happening to me since I got the Genie system three weeks ago. I have had numerous technicians come out and replace the client receiver. I am resetting my receivers 4-5 times a day. Directv will do nothing for us. After paying almost $400 for the new system you think they would do something for us. Directv says no one other than me is having issues and they aren't aware of technical problems with the Genie system. If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by johnbadrov 
    . If you are reading this do not get the Genie. It is an inferior product and doesn't work properly. Don't pay all the money for it.

I have to strongly disagree with you. I have had the Genie for a couple of months now, and it works flawlessly.  to all readers, this a great product by far.  This just goes to show how DirecTV is leading on the competition!!!.   Perhaps if you start a fresh thread, we can try to see what is going on with your system.

I am a DirecTV installer.  I post on these forums as a volunteer and as such, my views, comments, and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV 

fritoman

After I reset my main receiver I haven't had any trouble with the C31 clients , If you try to reset your receiver , flip down the door on your receiver and push in the red button on the receiver after you see the hello on the screen put in this code 02468 and it should start downloading a new version of firmware and then your clients should work properly after it resets.

I hope this can help someone. 

eaajah

I am having the same problem with my Client. I had my new service installed last sunday, and woke up Friday morning with a white screen with my client. I have 1 receiver and 1 client. When I called for support they only had me unplug and reset my client. They never asked me to reset my main receiver. Instead i have to wait until Tuesday for a technician to come out to my house. Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by eaajah 

Will this code 02468 work on my receiver also?

Absolutely no!  is never a good idea to force a software download to any receiver. at best you will get the same copy of the software you already have making this useless, at worse you can get BETA software that can brick your receiver.

I am a DirecTV installer.  I post on these forums as a volunteer and as such, my views, comments, and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV 

fritoman

If you have the new Genie HR34 this should work

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by fritoman 

If you have the new Genie HR34 this should work

wrong.  see post #7

fritoman

I don't want anyone to Brick there receiver but this firmware I put in my receiver was new and I don't no why it wasn't used when my service was installed    

peds48

the receivers always says "new" software, even if its downloading the same version, or a BETA version.  not recommended.  

fritoman

My installer told me this problem was happening with all of his installs DTV should no this problem by now , 

fritoman

Resetting all of the clients and the DVR will not solve this problem , I know because i tried it this is the only fix 

johnbadrov
    Okay. So if this isn't true why did I just have the third technician call in less than two weeks today. Again did nothing but replace the client receiver. Also, to the dirextv installer on this thead, if this isn't true then why did the technician that came today say that more than a few people are having this issue. Also, he called in and was told to force the download on the Genie receiver. Either way, if you are a Directv technician, this shows that a new product from dirextv should not be bought for at least 6 months after release date if at all. All technicians are not familiar with the product and yet still come up with ways to fix it.

I am skeptical that my problem is fixed but I will reply to this thread if the screen goes white again.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    eaajah

So I guess i should just wait for technician then? i  just want my new Client to work.. now I have to wait until tuesday and miss work also just to be here, so they can fix it.  

fritoman

The installers don't know how to fix this problem ether

peds48

The installers don't know how to fix this problem ether

as on any job, there are good apples and bad ones.  a properly installed system, like mine, works flawlessly.  if you post the details about your install we can take a look and see if your system was install for full efficiency.

@eaajah, if you please start a new thread and post the details about your system, we might be able to help.  it is very difficult to address multiple poster on a thread.  it gets very confusing.

eaajah

ok I started new thread with info

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by eaajah 

ok I started new thread with info

Thanks!

aschier

I'm having this same problem.

shannon1

The 0x628 software is being sent out now to fix the gray/white screen.

drinyth
    Quote:    Originally Posted by shannon1 

The 0x628 software is being sent out now to fix the gray/white screen.

Yet nobody that actually owns a HR34 has 0x628 running on their HR34 receiver yet... Which tells me that the next release is still under development for the HR34.

fritoman

I am still have the Grey screen problem , I have to reset the main receiver to get it to work right

fritoman

how do you get 0x628 software update

drinyth

how do you get 0x628 software update

There is nothing we can do except wait for DirecTV to finish writing the code to put into the next release.  At that point, they'll push it out to our devices on their timeline.

I feel your pain, fritoman.  I've been waiting for over two weeks now for some kind of resolution on this problem.

fritoman

Other than some of the small problem, I do love this system , i just wish they worked out all the bugs before they released it

drinyth

Yes, when the Genie system is working, it really is great!  But having to reset the system daily is really inconvenient.  Many times, I don't want to reboot the HR34 because I'm in the middle of a recording (or a block of recordings) that I don't want to truncate.  But until I do, I'm left with only one working TV in the house...

fritoman

That bad only having 1 TV working I would be too

emerson77
    I am an installer and we were taught that when hooking the genie system up, it's best to leave the clients unplugged. Hook up the HR34 and do a software download, and once the HR34 is completely set up and watching live tv, hook up the clients. This apparently fixes the grey screen issue. I have done multiple installs like this and have not heard about any problems. Can't guarantee it works but its worth a shot.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    lsutherland

Just had the Genie system installed 2 weeks ago and have the same problem.  The person I spoke with last week led me to believe this was a new problem and would quickly be resolved.  Very disappointed to see from this forum that this has been going on for months.  So frustrating to have to reset the system anytime you want to watch tv in one of the other rooms, and of course, if it's recording you cant or you will lose stuff  I have to reset my main unit daily.  This is completely unacceptable.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by lsutherland 

Just had the Genie system installed 2 weeks ago and have the same problem.  The person I spoke with last week led me to believe this was a new problem and would quickly be resolved.  Very disappointed to see from this forum that this has been going on for months.  So frustrating to have to reset the system anytime you want to watch tv in one of the other rooms, and of course, if it's recording you cant or you will lose stuff  I have to reset my main unit daily.  This is completely unacceptable.

all I can say is that an update with the fix is coming.

greghbna

I've not had the issue since I "RESET EVERYTHING".  This wipes everything back to defaults. and I did unplug the clients while the HR34 reconfigured itself.

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by greghbna 

I've not had the issue since I "RESET EVERYTHING".  This wipes everything back to defaults. and I did unplug the clients while the HR34 reconfigured itself.

That's a rather drastic measure.  Best to wait for the forthcoming software update. 

drinyth

Indeed.  I've had this problem since Halloween without any resolution. :(

I've left the C31 clients on full time and that keeps me from having to reset the HR34 daily.  But that isn't really a fix as much as it is a bandage.

lsutherland
    Quote:    Originally Posted by litzdog911 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greghbna 

That's a rather drastic measure.  Best to wait for the forthcoming software update. 

Tried this last night only to have the same issues this morning.   I am not going to continue to pay for service that I am not getting.  This is ridiculous.

peds48

Tried this last night only to have the same issues this morning.   I am not going to continue to pay for service that I am not getting.  This is ridiculous.

see post 31

bonafide1498

Just got my Genie and one client installed right before Thanksgiving and have had to reset the boxes of each one at least 3 times since then. Today i encountered a white screen on the client TV. I reset the box and then got an error message saying "cannot find server" Attempting to find server. No luck. Then when returning to the main TV it was running a blue screen scan that says "a problem has been detected in the storage device. The system will now scan the disc to attempt to fix it. This process will take several hours." Its been scanning for about 5 hrs now and its only 46% complete. It says 7200 errors found 440 errors corrected. What the heck is going on with this thing? Its only 2 weeks old!

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by bonafide1498 

Just got my Genie and one client installed right before Thanksgiving and have had to reset the boxes of each one at least 3 times since then. Today i encountered a white screen on the client TV. I reset the box and then got an error message saying "cannot find server" Attempting to find server. No luck. Then when returning to the main TV it was running a blue screen scan that says "a problem has been detected in the storage device. The system will now scan the disc to attempt to fix it. This process will take several hours." Its been scanning for about 5 hrs now and its only 46% complete. It says 7200 errors found 440 errors corrected. What the heck is going on with this thing? Its only 2 weeks old!

your hard drive is toast!   Call DirecTV to request a replacement Receiver/DVR.  It's free if you have their Equipment Protection Plan, or within 90-days of installation.  Otherwise ~$20 for shipping.  Or ~$50 to have a tech come replace it for you.  

lsutherland
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lsutherland 

see post 31

That's really helpful.  Thanks.

peds48

That's really helpful.  Thanks.

is coming in a few weeks….

lsutherland

This would be more believable if I haven't seen this same response in threads from more than a month ago.

dcd

This would be more believable if I haven't seen this same response in threads from more than a month ago.

Okay, we're fabricating the message.  A Software update will never be released for the Genie/Client combo and you're stuck forever with the situation as it stands.  Does that sound more believable?

To other readers of this thread:  The foregoing is a spoof (obviously?) and was written in an attempt to point out that we have no motive whatever to tell any of you an untruth.  We (Peds48 plus the TechKnow Guides and some others) are all volunteers and come here in an attempt to assist others.  We are proud of our straight from the shoulder approach and don't pull punches.  Does the Genie have too many issues?  Absolutely.  Do we think it will improve?  Absolutely.  Do we know that a software update is being worked on and is in Beta?  Absolutely.  Do we know when it will be released?  No, but are hopeful sometime in January.

lsutherland

I don't understand what about my message makes it a spoof?  It was not written in anyway having anything to do with you.  It was written in frustration that I just had a new system installed which was known to have issues.  It was written in frustration that Directv has not attempted to assist me in anyway.  Saying an update is coming is not a solution when they have been saying it for 2 months.  

My messages are not against you and I don't understand why you are taking it personally. If you had spent money and time on something NEW you would expect it to work, and someone telling you to just wait and be patient for months would probably not make you feel better or confident.  

I have been told the issues with the Genie are rare, which I do not believe, but if that really is the case, why not send me another Genie.  If it's so rare, what are the chances I would get another bad system.  But of course they won't do that because that would inconvenience them and be a cost to them.  They would rather it inconvenience their customers.  Again, I'm talking about Directv and not anyone posting here.

dcd

I don't understand what about my message makes it a spoof?  It was not written in anyway having anything to do with you.  It was written in frustration that I just had a new system installed which was known to have issues.  It was written in frustration that Directv has not attempted to assist me in anyway.  Saying an update is coming is not a solution when they have been saying it for 2 months.  

My messages are not against you and I don't understand why you are taking it personally. If you had spent money and time on something NEW you would expect it to work, and someone telling you to just wait and be patient for months would probably not make you feel better or confident.  

I have been told the issues with the Genie are rare, which I do not believe, but if that really is the case, why not send me another Genie.  If it's so rare, what are the chances I would get another bad system.  But of course they won't do that because that would inconvenience them and be a cost to them.  They would rather it inconvenience their customers.  Again, I'm talking about Directv and not anyone posting here.

Oh my goodness, I didn't say your post was a spoof, the spoof was in MYpost.:

"Okay, we're fabricating the message.  A Software update will never be released for the Genie/Client combo and you're stuck forever with the situation as it stands.  Does that sound more believable?"

I identified it as such so that someone wouldn't take it seriously.  I am not taking your posts personally, and my post was specifically directed at other readers of this thread.  I will not respond further.

drinyth

I've read several times on this forum that a software update was currently being rolled out... or that a software was being released very soon that will fix the problem.  I've been having this problem for over 6 weeks now and hearing misinformation like this only really serves to aggravate customers.

Better that customers just hear the truth which is DirecTV is aware of the problem and are working on a fix to the problem.  There is no ETA as to when the problem could be resolved - it could be days, weeks, months.

Telling us that an update is rolling out or that a software update is coming soon only serves to have us get that much more upset when it never arrives.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by drinyth 

I've read several times on this forum that a software update was currently being rolled out... or that a software was being released very soon that will fix the problem.  I've been having this problem for over 6 weeks now and hearing misinformation like this only really serves to aggravate customers.

Better that customers just hear the truth which is DirecTV is aware of the problem and are working on a fix to the problem.  There is no ETA as to when the problem could be resolved - it could be days, weeks, months.

Telling us that an update is rolling out or that a software update is coming soon only serves to have us get that much more upset when it never arrives.

Well, is coming, January is a very tentative month

litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by drinyth 

That's why you'll never get a specific date from DirecTV officially.  We don't work for DirecTV, so we can speculate all we want.  And usually we're pretty close Laughing

dcd

Hopefully update will arrive in January.

whalemangler

My genie boxes lockup in an hour max.  Any idea how to make them get new software?  The main box just got it but the little boxes never sxeem to update.

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by whalemangler 

My genie boxes lockup in an hour max.  Any idea how to make them get new software?  The main box just got it but the little boxes never sxeem to update.

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you.