19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 4:58 PM by peds48 RSS

RVU

39igofar

Does the Samsung 2011 model 8000 support RVU or will I need a c-31 to go with a Genie?

• Re: RVU
    peds48

Currently, only the 6000, 6400, and 6420 of the 2011 Samsung TV models support RVU. If you have one of these TVs, please make sure it has the latest RVU firmware, which can be downloaded from the Internet. Once your TV is connected to the Internet, use your TV remote to go to MENU, then SUPPORT, then SOFTWARE UPGRADE. Please refer to your TV manual for complete instructions on how to update your TV's software.

john_hatchett
    Quote:    Originally Posted by 39igofar 

Does the Samsung 2011 model 8000 support RVU or will I need a c-31 to go with a Genie?

Sounds like the answer is NO and you would need a C-31.

Seems like DirecTV picked a dead horse technology wise. Remember BETA MAX and HD-DVD?

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by john_hatchett 

Seems like DirecTV picked a dead horse technology wise. Remember BETA MAX and HD-DVD?

this could not be further away from the truth.  is a brand new technology  that will pick up its pace with time.

djdicetn

peds,

Can you explain RVU to a "genie-challenged" user??? If indeed an HDTV is "RVU compliant" to DirecTV's genie HD DVR, does that mean all that is necessary is to somehow connect the genie to that HDTV and you can watch all of your DirecTV subscription channels without a DirecTV "box" on that TV(kind of like basic cable works)????

john_hatchett,

OUCH....I resemble that remark(owner of a HD-DVD player here:0)

BTW, I still believe the Toshiba HD-DVD was superior to Bluray(especially in "load time" before a HD movie will "start")!!!!!

peds48

dj

if you have an RVU TV, you must first connect the HR34 to your network, this is required.  you then do the same with your RVU TV.  then you follow the prompts to "sync" the RVU TV to the HR34 by following the RVU TV menus.  a screen will advice you to call DirecTV so you can add the RVU TV to your account.  A $6.00 a month fee will apply.  Once DirecTV has added the client to your account, you can finish up with the sync process.  

texasbrit

Yes, my Samsung 2012 Smart Tv just got an upgrade to the firmware to provide RVU capabilities. As peds48 posted, by having an HR34 and the TV on the same network, you can watch DirecTV on the TV without a separate DirecTv box. Those without an RVU-tv would need a C31.

There have been rumors on some of the Sony forums that the PS3 is about to get RVU capability which would be an interesting step forward.

litzdog911

RVU is definitely gaining momentum.  Exciting technology!

peds48

and since RVU is "layered" on top of DLNA, a technology that has been around for many years, is very easy for existing electronics to support RVU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RVU_Alliance

djdicetn

One more newbie question....once your RVU TV is synced to the HR34(and become a virtual DirecTV "box") you can "control" that TV with a DirecTV remote???? I'm having trouble visualizing how the TV would "look like" and "act like" I have my H21-200 HD Receiver connected to it(without a DirecTV box at all). Guess I'm getting to old for this latest-and-greatest technology(although the wife and I finally broke down and got the grandkids an XBOX, with Kinect for Christmas to play when they visit us). I've never been a "gamer" so you guys can begin chuckling in your minds already just visualizing my learning curve on that thing!!!

djdicetn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 

once you connect your RVU TV, the interface will be same as if you were watching from the HR34, or for that matter any HDDVR, same menus, guide..etc.  you can order the DirecTV RVU TV remote if you wish.

http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&rls=en&biw=1083&bih=884&t

That's nothing short of amazing technology(especially since it has "DVR" software versus "Receiver" software)!!!! I can assure you that Dish, with their "Hopper" and cable are going to be scrambling to match this!!! So, since it's akin to an "additonal box"(being "charged" for TV) don't you think a little "whining" to a CSR might get you a free RVU remote??? Also, personally, it seems like D* would give you a little break on the monthly "additional receiver" fee, since it "saves them $" not having to provide "hardware" for that additional connection.

dcd

The "additional receiver" fee is not a hardware charge, it's a charge for mirroring the full programming package to an added location.  When it was called a "leased receiver" fee folks concluded it was a fee to lease a receiver while in fact it was programming mirrored to a "leased" receiver.

For those that feel it's an unfair charge consider that over time it obviously costs more to administer and service an account with 5 receivers as opposed to an account with only one.

john_hatchett
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd
    .....over time it obviously costs more to administer and service an account with 5 receivers as opposed to an account with only one.

How ? Is there different provisioning for each of the 5 receivers on the Genie?

djdicetn
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd

The "additional receiver" fee is not a hardware charge, it's a charge for mirroring the full programming package to an added location. When it was called a "leased receiver" fee folks concluded it was a fee to lease a receiver while in fact it was programming mirrored to a "leased" receiver.

For those that feel it's an unfair charge consider that over time it obviously costs more to administer and service an account with 5 receivers as opposed to an account with only one.

dcd,

It has been some time since I engaged another user in a thread on that topic, but indeed you are spot on(again)!! Not only is it not a "DirecTV equipment fee", they have even changed the wording on the monthly bill from "Leased Receiver" to "Additional TV"(probably because of a lot of backlash in Customer Service regarding the previous terminology. Since it is an additional TV fee, guess it doesn't really matter whether there is a "box" or whether it is a RVU-compliant TV:0)

But you are correct, it is actually a fee for mirroring the programming package you subscribe to on another TV beyond your main TV(and there is still a $6.00 Charge for the "Primary TV" and a subsequent Credit Adjustment of $6.00 for "Primary TV Free" on the monthly bill as well).

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by john_hatchett 

How ? Is there different provisioning for each of the 5 receivers on the Genie?

Are you seeking information or do you just wish to start a debate?  If you can't see why my statement is true then I have nothing further.

sbaran