37 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2014 12:18 PM by skrana04@gmail.com RSS

Slingbox and genie receiver

wvufan72
Does anyone know if the genie receiver will work with the slingbox?   Can't seem to change my channels remotely with my new genie receiver hooked up to my slingbox is anyone else having problems with this?  Please let me know                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • Re: Slingbox and genie receiver
    litzdog911

Your Slingbox has to control the HR34's channel changes.  How did you configure the Slingbox to do that?   And be sure that your HR34's remote isn't set to RF Mode. 

peds48

Also be sure that the Slingbox's IR blasters are positioned on top of the HR34's IR sensor

montyvegas

Hi,

Just hooked up a Slingbox 500 to my Direct TV Genie system client.  I have the HR34-700 DVR with 3 C31-700 clients.  Here's how I did it.

The client was already connected by HDMI to a Samsung 3D plasma TV.

I inserted a monoprice HDMI splitter between the client and the HDTV to ensure the HDCP and component video output will stay active whether the TV is on or off.  I bought the Monoprice 1x2 Pigtail HDMI splitter for $31 so I didn't have to use another HDMI cable.  The second port from the splitter is empty.  (If you try to connect the second splitter port directly to the Slingbox with an HDMI cable, it won't work because the HDCP will fail, so don't bother trying.)  The TV functions exactly the same as before.

I bought a H2510PIN DirecTV cable for $7 and connected the Genie client to the Slingbox using the component video input and analog R/L audio.  I put the IR transmitter pyramid in front of the Genie client, and selected DirecTV -> Genie for the remote control settings.  I temporarily connected the Slingbox to the TV with a component video cable to set everything up, and then removed it once the Slingbox was configured.

All channels and features function remotely through the iTunes App, and I'm able to watch any channel or the DVR remotely.

In retrospect, because you're not using the HDMI input on the Slingbox 500, the Slingbox 350 would work just as well.

Best,

MV

jetlife2

I inserted a monoprice HDMI splitter between the client and the HDTV to ensure the HDCP and component video output will stay active whether the TV is on or off.

end quote

Can you explain how this works? Is it because the splitter is drawing power even when the TV is off and so the C31 keeps the HDMI and AV Port alive?

Does this also permit watching HDCP content over the component video (ie slingbox)?

Thanks

texasbrit

It's a powered splitter, so it is always on.

Component does not carry HDCP. The issue is that the HDMI-connected TV fails the HDCP test when it is off; putting the splitter in the connection maintains the HDCP compliance even when the HDCP-connected TV is off so the video outputs don't shut down.

toast67

Can I assume that this would work with the Genie Model HR44-200 and C41-100?  I travel overseas for work quite often, and would love to be able to access my content from my hotel room.  I've been told by a client that they are able to do this with slingbox.

Oh, and would I have the ability to control/watch the programming on the DVR?

Thanks!

pspalmquist

I was facing the same issue and came across your post. I resolved the issue by going into settings and changing the genie C31 to IR (from RF). Problem fixed, it now works perfectly.

peds48

1. the AV port is a DirecTV proprietary connection.  It can support up to 1080i using the component cable 10 PIN DIN "dongle" or 480 using the composite 10 PIN DIN cable "dongle" .  you can get these cables from www.solidsignal.com or DirecTV.

jetlife2

Thanks

I ordered the 10pin to component cable , the slingbox 500 and the powered splitter. I intend to hook it to a C31 in a room that is not used much. Will report back how it works out.

peds48

Make sure the powered splitter is HDCP compliant

Keep us posted

jetlife2

Works perfectly as described above.

I set the HDMI to pass through the sling box for the setup only. Once I set it up I rerouted the HDMI to go C31-splitter-Tv only. Component from the C31 AV Port to the sling box using the special cable. Total setup time about 30 mins including a 10 minute sling box software update.

If you have Ethernet available the sling box 350 would be just fine. I needed wifi.

Before ordering anything I checked the wifi speed available at the location where the box would be. The key metric is the upload speed. My service is 50 down 5 up, but this location is in the basement one floor below the router. I found that I had 8 down and 4 up at this location, more than enough.

I will say that this is not a cheap setup. The sling box 500 is $298, the powered splitter is $32, the component cable is $4, the sling box iPad and iPhone apps are $14.99 each. That's a chunk of change. I was tempted by the Vulkano products but there seemed to be many complaints.

Anyway I am now able to operate my C31 from anywhere. I need a wifi connection speed of at least 2 down to get a stable HD picture from a remote location. At 1 down there is some pixelation.

Overall I am very happy.

peds48

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

If you think your question was resolved, please mark the question as "correct". Thanks!

jpw94

So, if I have my DTV genie on wifi connect, can I use a slingbox 350?

jetlife2

The slingbox needs its own internet connection. The slingbox 350 needs a hard line ethernet connection. The slingbox 500 has wifi as well. In either case you need at least 2MB/s upload speed from your service.

What genie box do you have? model number?

jpw94

Speed will not be a problem. I'm 5+ up.

I have an hr34-700.

I had a sinking feeling the 350 probably would not work (xmas present.)

However, I also have a CCK. which is on my wifi network. Can that get it to work some how?

jetlife2

The 350 will work fine with an HR34 if you can connect it to your network. it sounds like your HR34 is connected to the internet via a wifi access point, is that correct? (Since the HR34 does not have wifi itself). The same method could be used for the slingbox with another wifi access point. Or, If your HR34 is connected to the network via hardline, you could put in a switch at that location and connect both the HR34 and the 350 to the switch.

Or trade in the 350 for a 500 which has wifi out of the box, but is more expensive.

Not sure what you mean by CCK can you elaborate?

jpw94

I was able to successfully connect the slingbox 350 wirelessly using a netgear wireless bridge.

I have a rather unique setup, I believe. I have a video matrix distribution amp.

All devices get connected to this device and I can matrix any device to any television in the house (we have 4).

So, TV 1 can be on Genie HR34 while TV2 can select that or any other device (c31-700, blueray, roku, etc.)

As such, all devices are housed in a media cabinet and connected to the matrix distribution device.

So here's my problem: when I'm connected to the C31-700 and use the slingbox remote interface, the C31 will not respond any selections. We want our slingbox to use that device. The HR34 responds to the remote app quite nicely. Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

peds48

Is the C31 in RF or IR?

jetlife2

After checking that the C31 is set to IR as advised by peds48, if it still does not work: The slingbox needs to be in range of the C31 for its IR commands to be received by the C31. Are they physically close enough for the C31 to see its IR? You can also use the IR emitter of the slingbox if this helps. Plug it in to the slingbox and position the pyramid in front of (or at least near) the C31. The slingbox settings should remain the same as for an HR34.

icedcorn

I have what is probably a weird setup.

I have Genie Mini -> Xbox One -> Slingbox500 -> TV all via HDMi. Surprisingly it works. I do also have the Component hooked up to the Sling box as recommended.

The Slingbox 500 does not need a IR sensor as it's inside the slingbox so no wires dandling...just as was said before, if you are close you'll get it to work.

Fun fact: My XB1 is far away from my TV so I was worried about the IR commands being lost - however, the IR is through Kinect which is on my TV, so all commands work fine (you can't control Xbox obviously).

With this setup the TV doesn't go on when I use my slingbox (it did before because of the HDMI autodetect on the TV).

Bottom line: you can use a slingbox 500 fine with DirectTV, even if you're slinging from a Minigenie.

skrana04@gmail.com

I am considering buying a Slingbox 350 and connecting it to C31 in my basement. Currently the C31 is connected to a non-HDTV via component cable. So my question is would I still need a HDMI splitter to keep the connect alive if I connect the C31 to Slingbox with Component cable and not connect the slingbox to my standard TV at all?

skrana04@gmail.com

I set everything up and it's working perfectly. Thanks to everyone who have posted here. It was a big help!

For anyone considering buying Slingbox you can save some money by buying the DirecTV component cable for HD viewing rather than using a HDMI cable; otherwise you will have to buy the HDMI splitter.