22 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2013 10:03 AM by litzdog911 RSS

Genie Client Gray Screen

lparkh

Annoying third  in 3 weeks red button reset to correct gray screen on client of a two room Genie-client setup.

The reset does restore service, but why isn't the system more stable?

DTV tech support said when I called during  the first gray screen that it was "a known issue." OK,  is there a better fix than a 5 minute reboot in the middle of a program?

Do I have a bad client? Should I call DTV tech support each time this happens just so there's a record of my problem?

Guidance please. Cable was stable.

lp

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    litzdog911

    Known problem.  Should be fixed in next software update within a few weeks.  

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    mrdatalife

    I'm having the same issue and it's becoming unacceptable!  Nothing worse than making the switch from cable only to have these "known" issues.  Maybe it was better pay the higher prices; the service was stable.  Frustrating.

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by mrdatalife 

    I'm having the same issue and it's becoming unacceptable!  Nothing worse than making the switch from cable only to have these "known" issues.  Maybe it was better pay the higher prices; the service was stable.  Frustrating.


    see post #2

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    lparkh

    Make it 4 resets. Another gray screen today about 24 hours after last. That's 3 gray screens and 3 resets  in the last 3 days,

     

    I understand that those who staff this forum are volunteers, not DTV employees, and I'm grateful for the information I've found here, and I don't want to take my frustration out on you guys.

     

    But since DTV does advertise these forums on their web site as part of the service available to DTV subscribers, I'm thinking that DTV corporate might want someone to know how some of us perceive the recent hard sell of the Genie/Client system in the light of the gray screen "known issue."  DTV might define more specifically what fixing a "known issue"  "within a few weeks" is. I've found this problem reported on this forum over 6 weeks ago. Is 6 weeks a "few'?  Well, it's less than 52, I grant. But once you are past 4, you can start using the "month" word, and "a few weeks"

     

    The Genie has been reliable which makes the problem with the client all the more frustrating, especially for those trying to watch in the client room who lose service, discover the Genie room has service, and  then insist that those watching the stable Genie interrupt what they are watching for the 5 minute reset to get the client back. Then. "Whole-Home DVR"  service then becomes NO PLACE DVR until both Genie and client are reset. Genie room viewers now also frustrated. No viewing during reset times. Gaps in scheduled recordings doing reset times.

     

    What I'd like to see is a printed, public statement from DTV management acknowledging the "known issue" and explaining in more specific terms when consumers may expect the gray client screen problem to be fixed, as well as some stated recognition that service promised is not being delivered. I was briefed by DTV personnel that I was signing a 2-year contract with stated payment terms; I do believe that contract promises also that for my payment  I will receive DTV services in a reasonably reliable way. I was not briefed that there was "a known issue" with the clients and that I should expect daily interruptions of service because of known software issues.

     

    If I were late in my payments, what would DTV's response be? I'm guessing that "payment will be forthcoming in few weeks but please be patient and keep providing my DTV service" would not be well received.

     

    Finally, what I'd really like to see is a fix for the gray screen client problem, soon, and it's already been more than a few weeks the way most people count time.

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    litzdog911

    You'll need to email your thoughts directly to DirecTV. They won't see them here.   And don't hold your breath expecting a public statement from DTV management acknowledging the "known issue" and explaining in more specific terms when consumers may expect the gray client screen problem to be fixed, as well as some stated recognition that service promised is not being delivered.  Not gonna happen.  

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    lparkh

    A plus for DTV is that it is easier to get to person on the phone to talk to about a problem than it has been to get through to ATT cellular support. I was able to talk to a DTV tech this morning and let DTV know that for 3 days running the client has displayed the gray screen with reset needed to restore service.

    The DTV tech repeated the "known issue" with the Genie/Client system and the client gray screen. He said DTV is working on it, but they do not have a timeline for a fix. He had nothing to offer to explain why my system was stable from the first problem on Nov. 27 until Dec. 14,15, 16 gray screen events.

     

    In the meantime, he told me that I should be able to restore client service by resetting only the Genie, and that it might help to leave the client turned on all the time. Our viewing pattern is usually all off by midnight or earlier and not on again until 6 pm. the following day. I hope I don't need to try either one, but will post what happens if I do.

     

    I did ask the tech to make certain my call and problems were entered into my account record, and I asked that he pass up the DTV food chain my concerns. He listened and said he had logged my complaint into my account record and would let higher up know.

     

    For any having the gray screen reset pattern issue, it might be worthwhile to establish a record of the resets with DTV if only to have a record of contracted service problems should the problem and frustration reach the discontinue DTV step.

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    litzdog911

    Good to hear. Keep us posted.  

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    jsclarke99

    We just got 3 C31's and and HR34 installed Saturday-- for $538 I might add- and since I've called DirecTV once per day over an issue and had to do 1-2 resets of the HR34 every day.  Our screen goes black (not gray) from a C31.  If you press guide- you can see white text on a black background- but no picture or sound.  We're on a 1 year old (new) SWIM16 switch in a new house with 4 year old RG6.

     

    When our great room C31 exhibited this behavior this morning- I took a WORKING 31 from another room to the same place and swapped the two.  The problem then showed up on the 2nd C31- which makes it seem like it's related to the cable there.

     

    I'm now regretting this change- and see posts about this going back to early November... hmmm....

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jsclarke 

    We just got 3 C31's and and HR34 installed Saturday-- for $538 I might add- and since I've called DirecTV once per day over an issue and had to do 1-2 resets of the HR34 every day.  Our screen goes black (not gray) from a C31.  If you press guide- you can see white text on a black background- but no picture or sound.  We're on a 1 year old (new) SWIM16 switch in a new house with 4 year old RG6.

     

    When our great room C31 exhibited this behavior this morning- I took a WORKING 31 from another room to the same place and swapped the two.  The problem then showed up on the 2nd C31- which makes it seem like it's related to the cable there.

     

    I'm now regretting this change- and see posts about this going back to early November... hmmm....


    Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment (model numbers), location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. Thank you. 

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    jleecole
    Called directv today and was told the fix came out within the last day or two. Mine updated but I haven't had the chance to see if the gray screen issue is resolved.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    jsclarke99

    Since our Genie install on Saturday, I've called DirecTV with a problem Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and today (Thursday). I'm going to keep reporting when it goes down (incredible by the way- in 13 years have never seen a failure as widespread as this one with D*). Yesterday the CSR said expect a new firmware release in the Pacific Time Zone that's already been pushed out in other parts of the country- but I haven't seen a thing about this FOR HR34s here or in the dbs forums. I'm guessing he was mistaken. I do see a release went out for other DVRs

     

    My HR34 is still running 0x05CD

     

    ----

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jsclarke 

    Since our Genie install on Saturday, I've called DirecTV with a problem Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and today (Thursday). I'm going to keep reporting when it goes down (incredible by the way- in 13 years have never seen a failure as widespread as this one with D*). Yesterday the CSR said expect a new firmware release in the Pacific Time Zone that's already been pushed out in other parts of the country- but I haven't seen a thing about this FOR HR34s here or in the dbs forums. I'm guessing he was mistaken. I do see a release went out for other DVRs

     

    My HR34 is still running 0x05CD

     

    ----

     

     

    Should be fixed in next software update within a few weeks

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    jleecole
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jleecole 
    Called directv today and was told the fix came out within the last day or two. Mine updated but I haven't had the chance to see if the gray screen issue is resolved.


    PS - I am in Ohio

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    jsclarke99

    very HOPEFUL- at 1AM (Pacific) my HR34 got new firmware labeled 0x054D... no issues so far!  More on this here  http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=211389

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    dcd

    I got 0x5d4 on my HR34 at 4:01 EST today.  Seems to work just fine.

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    peds48

    this is an "stability"  update

     

    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=211393

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    lparkh

    Update on the gray screen problem I posted here about on Dec. 15. Was away for a little over a week and noticed the posts here about the 0x5d4 software update. Checked our Genie and the software was updated Dec. 21 as others have reported here. The client firmware is still the same as was installed in November.

     

    The good news is that from Dec. 30 to present (Jan. 4) there has been no return of the gray screen problem on the client.  This is much improved over the 3 gray screens and 3 resets in 3 days which I posted about above on Dec. 15  So far, so good. If the stability continues, I'm a happy camper. I'll post an update in another week or so, unless the gray screen returns before then. Hoping the 0x5d4 has done the trick.

    lp

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    lparkh
    Quote:    Originally Posted by lparkh 

    Update on the gray screen problem I posted here about on Dec. 15. Was away for a little over a week and noticed the posts here about the 0x5d4 software update. Checked our Genie and the software was updated Dec. 21 as others have reported here. The client firmware is still the same as was installed in November.

     

    The good news is that from Dec. 30 to present (Jan. 4) there has been no return of the gray screen problem on the client.  This is much improved over the 3 gray screens and 3 resets in 3 days which I posted about above on Dec. 15  So far, so good. If the stability continues, I'm a happy camper. I'll post an update in another week or so, unless the gray screen returns before then. Hoping the 0x5d4 has done the trick.

    lp

    Promised an update and here it is. As of Jan. 21, there have been NO gray screens and no need for red button resets. Both Genie and client are performing as advertised. I assume the improved stability is from the software update referenced above. I'd add that we are basic users of the system, watching programs on air, and using programmed recording features, a little video on demand. Still think the smart phone DTV app that lets me schedule a recording from anywhere I have wifi or cell service is very cool tech.

    lp

    lp

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    dcd

    Good for you.  My Genie Client system has been very stable as well under the new software.  Thanks (from all of us) for keeping us posted.

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    peds48

    Awesome.  Thanks for the update. 

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    depraved

    software update didn't fix the issue...  We've been having the issue again for the last week or so and have had to reset the boxes AGAIN...

  • Re: Genie Client Gray Screen
    litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by depraved  

    software update didn't fix the issue...  We've been having the issue again for the last week or so and have had to reset the boxes AGAIN...


    Then perhaps you're having a different issue.  Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread.