18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2014 9:02 AM by peds48 RSS

Restore deleted programs from DVR

jaegercng

So I accidentally deleted an entire series from my DVR when I meant to only delete an episode.  I spent awhile looking for the undelete feature and to my surprise there was none...  What kind of software using hard disk technology software doesn't let it's users restore deleted files???  This makes absolutely no sense.  When a file is deleted it's data is not formatted to zero, it still exists.  The file table simply sets the data to be eligible for rewrite.  Now I've lost hours of programming and the series doesn't seem to be forecast to rerun.

 

Does anyone know a way to login to the DVR from a PC or laptop to recover deleted files from the disk?

 

Thanks in advance if you reply with a solution!

 

-C

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    litzdog911

    Sorry, there's no way to recover deleted recordings. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jaegercng 

    When a file is deleted it's data is not formatted to zero, it still exists.  The file table simply sets the data to be eligible for rewrite. 


    You just explained how the file system works on a PC, unfortunately, it does not work the same on the DirecTV's DVRs

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    jaegercng
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peds48_installs 
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaegercng 

    When a file is deleted it's data is not formatted to zero, it still exists.  The file table simply sets the data to be eligible for rewrite. 


    You just explained how the file system works on a PC, unfortunately, it does not work the same on the DirecTV's DVRs

    If this happens to be the 'one' nonsecure system using HD technology that formats data to zero on user delete, then guess what?  It still makes absolutely no sense to function this way...

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    joed32

    I would like to have this function available as well but you asked if it can be done and he gave you the answer, he's just a user like you and trying to be helpful. If you want to complain to Directv you need to contact them and tell them what you think because they won't see it here.

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    litzdog911

    Yep, be sure to email your suggestion directly to DirecTV.  They won't see it here.   I, too, wish we had an Undelete function like the Tivo-based DVRs have. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    jaegercng

    Oh sorry, I posted here because I thought not only might someone have a solution or workaround, but that directv monitored their forums for feedback.  I figured Directv's tech guru's would be here.  I will send email instead. 

     

    Thanks for your responses.

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by jaegercng 

    Oh sorry, I posted here because I thought not only might someone have a solution or workaround, but that directv monitored their forums for feedback.  I figured Directv's tech guru's would be here.  I will send email instead. 

     

    Thanks for your responses.


    Let us know if you hear anything. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    joed32

    God luck to you!

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    dcd

    Sometimes I feel like a Congressman.  Kick the can to someone else.  The fact is the email requesting a un-delete system will go in the trash.  Does anyone think that Directv engineers and programmers are unaware that there is no un-delete?

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 

    Sometimes I feel like a Congressman.  Kick the can to someone else.  The fact is the email requesting a un-delete system will go in the trash.  Does anyone think that Directv engineers and programmers are unaware that there is no un-delete?


    Well,  it's certainly technically possible.  It took a long time, but we finally got this feature on the Tivo-based DVRs, so maybe we'll see it someday on the DirecTV DVRs, too.  But I'm not holding my breath. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    mancel

    I've been a DirecTV subscriber ever since it became available in Middle-Tennessee back in the early 1990's. I don't remember the model of the DVR receiver but I am sure it was the first DVR receiver that DirecTV offered. It had a deleted program (file) restore function in it but you had to restore the file in a certain amount of time or it would be deleted. The next time that I upgraded, that function was gone. The only reason that I can think of is that they saw a way to make more money if they did away with it. It all comes down to money!

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    dcd

    I'd guess that most folks only delete an entire series by accident one time.  If one reads the words on the screen carefully rather than just pressing the select button, they aren't nearly so apt to delete the wrong thing.  

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    rijkstra

    I've deleted a series with 60 hours of programming entirely by accident.  Not only is UNDELETE not a feature, but the remote design can contribute to these accidents by using the same key for confirmation--definitely a poor design especially when the keyboard buffer is not cleared when a confirmation is presented.  A delay, which is common can lead to the same key being captured twice.  The keyboard buffer catches up and disaster ensues.

    I recommend the TiVo DVR, but my dilemma is that since I only need one, by switching I would lose 2+years of saved programming on my DTV DVR.

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    djdetloff

    Tivos have the undelete. DTV does not. Someone told me it was a patent issue. I don't believe that but it's a possibility. I had to lose my Tivos when I went whole home a couple years ago and go to HR23s. I don't know if there is a whole home compatable Tivo yet. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    litzdog911
    Quote:    Originally Posted by djdetloff 

    .... I don't know if there is a whole home compatable Tivo yet. 


    There is not, and probably will never be. 

  • Re: Restore deleted programs from DVR
    rijkstra
    Quote:    Originally Posted by djdetloff

    Tivos have the undelete. DTV does not. Someone told me it was a patent issue. I don't believe that but it's a possibility. I had to lose my Tivos when I went whole home a couple years ago and go to HR23s. I don't know if there is a whole home compatable Tivo yet.

    I highly doubt that it is a patent issue. When you delete a program from TiVo, it isn't physically deleted. It's logically deleted by moving it out of the active playlist and into a special folder where it will be physically deleted when the space is needed. It is close to FIFO (first in first out), but I have seen exceptions made to match the amount of space needed.