2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 3:42 PM by dcd RSS

Whole Home DVR vs Genie ..  is Genie the new Whole home DVR?

peatatoms

I have an HR21 and an HR23 HD DVR with SWM.  My network is a Netgear gigabit router with dual N band wireless.  The HR21 is hard-wired to the router and I could hard-wire the other DVR if needed.  I am trying to determine the differences and connectivity requirements between the conventional Whole Home DVR and Genie.  

Am I correct that Genie is at least somewhat similar to Whole Home DVR?

Is it true that even though I can hard-wire both DVRs to my network, DirectTv will not support that and that I need special  connections for Whole Home?  I read some forums probably a year ago where it might be possible to do as long as it was not done thru the 800 support line because  they did not have that capability on their screens, but that e-mail tech support could possibly activate Whole Home when the DVRs are hard-wired.

So, if conventional Whole Home is still an option for me, what are my connectivity choices ( a wiring diagram would be helpful if available)?

Is Genie the only ( or better ) choice?  And would I have to add the satellite box on the 2nd TV?  

Are there any wiring diagrams for Genie service? ( I am unsure what boxes get connected to the dish ( coax ) vs the network ( Cat 5 )

• Re: Whole Home DVR vs Genie ..  is Genie the new Whole home DVR?
    toiday

I have the HR24 and it uses ethernet over coax.  I believe Genie also use ethernet over coax.

• Re: Whole Home DVR vs Genie ..  is Genie the new Whole home DVR?
    dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by peatatoms 

I have an HR21 and an HR23 HD DVR with SWM.  My network is a Netgear gigabit router with dual N band wireless.  The HR21 is hard-wired to the router and I could hard-wire the other DVR if needed.  I am trying to determine the differences and connectivity requirements between the conventional Whole Home DVR and Genie.  

Am I correct that Genie is at least somewhat similar to Whole Home DVR?

Is it true that even though I can hard-wire both DVRs to my network, DirectTv will not support that and that I need special  connections for Whole Home?  I read some forums probably a year ago where it might be possible to do as long as it was not done thru the 800 support line because  they did not have that capability on their screens, but that e-mail tech support could possibly activate Whole Home when the DVRs are hard-wired.

So, if conventional Whole Home is still an option for me, what are my connectivity choices ( a wiring diagram would be helpful if available)?

Is Genie the only ( or better ) choice?  And would I have to add the satellite box on the 2nd TV?  

Are there any wiring diagrams for Genie service? ( I am unsure what boxes get connected to the dish ( coax ) vs the network ( Cat 5 )

The term Genie refers to the new HR34 HD DVR that is capable of recording five different programs simultaneously.  It has some other great features.  Insofar as Whole Home DVR service is concerned, the Genie uses the same technology as the other HD DVR's.  The "hard wired" configuration you reference was actually the BETA edition of Whole Home and Directv dropped that the day the DECA was introduced.  The request to activate the unsupported system was as you state but that was a good while ago and we haven't suggested anyone seek the BETA activation for a long time.

If you have a SWM system then the Genie HR34 would be a drop in substitution for one of the HD DVR's.  If you wanted to keep the two HD DVR's then you'd need a dish change and some other equipment to take care of the resulting nine tuners.  Here's a schematic of a Genie Client installation.  You can use any HD box as the second location.