5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 7:39 AM by kaminar RSS

Magnavox DVD/VCR Hooked Up To Direct TV ?  No Sound or Picture?

skidboots

Have a new Magnavox TV and a 6 year old Magnavox DVD/VCR combo to hook up to Direct TV.  Have them hooked up, but even though the VCR/DVD is on -- there's not a picture or sound. 

The TV source is set to TV

Direct TV is on AV 2.  The Direct TV remote works the VCR/ DVD to turn it off and on but there is no picture or sound. 

How can I fix it?

Thanks!

• Re: Magnavox DVD/VCR Hooked Up To Direct TV ?  No Sound or Picture?
    peds48

what model of receiver do you have. look for the model number inside the access card door. 

start here

http://forums.directv.com/message/10483657#10483657

skidboots

Okay, it says it is 0129 5308 7058 and it has   Model D12 700  on it.  I don't know much about this sort of deal.  I read that thread, but it doesn't say what to do if there's no picture or sound. 

Any ideas?

Thanks!

joed32

The input on the Maggie and the input on the TV both have to be correct so try different combinations. When you say it's hooked up to Directv do you mean the Directv unit is outputting to the recorder and the recorder is outputting to the TV? That's the way it's supposed to work, you can't output from the DVD recorder into the Directv box. Hope you get it going, it can be tricky. I have DVD recorders hooked up with all five of our Directv units.

skidboots

That all looks okay.  I have tried switching things around and it still does not work right.

The TV has a button on the remote that says SOURCE.  Should it switch to TV or HDMI or PC for the DVD/VCR?  My DVD/VCR doesn't have an HDMI connector on it and neither does the direct tv box. 

Should the Antenna In connection go from the Direct TV box to the DVD/VCR and then another connector from the DVD/VCR to the TV?

Currently it's like this:

Direct TV Box -- out to tv goes to Antenna In on Television

Then, there are yellow, red and white connectors -- the set is hooked up to the same colors on the VCR/DVD player 

However, there are not two sets of the same 3 colors on the TV and DVD/VCR. 

The back ot the TV has these connection spots:

yellow white red

green blue red

The DVD/VCR has these connections:

DVD

white

red

DVD/VCR

white

red

yellow

Component Video Out

green

blue

red

VCR

white

yellow

This is very confusing!

kaminar

Try this: connect DVD/VCR unit to tv without the D12 in the mix. Test with a movie so you know the connection is correct and have no problems . Write down the SOURCEused for the DVD/VCR. Then connect the D12 (out) to your DVD/VCR (in), as mentioned in post #4, and test further.

Good luck!

-=K=-