21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 1:12 PM by cajazzman RSS

HDMI losing handshake with Denon receiver

charliebrandt13
So, I have read a bit on this forum about the same exact issue I am having. It seems it happened a lot late spring, and then was fixed with an update soon after.

My problem is, I JUST had an install today. I saw the installer download the latest software update.  But I am having this same exact issue with my Genie box, Denon receiver, and Panny TV.

Is it possible there's still an update out there that my box just hasn't downloaded yet?

It is super frustrating.
  • Re: HDMI losing handshake with Denon receiver
    peds48

Perhaps you can check if your Denon has a newer firmware.  But what happens if you connect the Genie to the Tv directly?

litzdog911

What model Denon AVR do you have?  I've had no HDMI issues with my Denon AVR3312ci.

charliebrandt13
    I've got a Denon AVR-1909.  Just seems odd it would have to do with the Denon when there were many earlier posts on this forum regarding this exact issue with the DVR's.

texasbrit

Issues with HDMI and various models of Denon receiver have been around for ever, not jjust with DirecTv but also the other providers. I assume your setup works OK if you have the HR34 connected directly to the TV?

Make sure you set native to "off" and uncheck all the resolutions except 1080i (720p if your TV is 720p) in the HR34 setup menu. That will eliminate most of the HDMI handshake requirements and might solve the problem.

charliebrandt13
    I did switch to native, but doesn't DTV broadcast some things in 1080p?

charliebrandt13
    So I switch it off native.  Seems to be working better now.  My question is, will this effect the picture quality in anyway?  Should I change the picture settings in the Denon from auto to 1080p?

litzdog911

There are no HD broadcasts in 1080p, only a few PPV movies.  They'll play back just fine at 1080i.  

dcd

My new Denon 1913 works perfectly with my Genie HR34 connected via HDMI.  I do have native set to off and the resolution set to 1080i only.  I'd guess the problem may well be with the TV.  I would run the Genie HDMI directly to the TV as a test so as to isolate the problem.  If it's the TV giving you problems you could try running component cables from the Denon to the TV.

Note that the handshake issue is so elusive you can't wait for someone to provide a software fix, you'll need to correct this yourself.

charliebrandt13
    It's not the TV, I ran straight to TV and it worked fine.  It's also working fine when I switched native off, running HDMI through the 1909. I can live with it, I would just rather the receiver doing the processing over the DTV box.

texasbrit

I doubt you can see any difference between the receiver doing the upscaling and the DirecTV box doing the upscaling. Unless you have a multi-thousand dollar scaler, they will perform just about the same.

litzdog911

I'm not surprised that a 4-yr old AV Receiver would have more HDMI issues than a new one.  Glad to hear you found a suitable workaround.  

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by charliebrandt09 
    I did switch to native, but doesn't DTV broadcast some things in 1080p?

There is no difference in DirecTV's 1080i and 1080p.  it is just a marketing scheme.

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by charliebrandt09 
     I would just rather the receiver doing the processing over the DTV box.

I have messed with all three doing the conversion and with native on or off and my conclusion is that you absolutely cannot tell the difference.  Maybe that's because 90% of all the TV I watch is in 1080i so the only conversion occurs in the TV itself when it converts to 1080p(60).

With native off and the DVR set to 1080i, the channel switching is faster.  It also massively reduces the handshakes required.

charliebrandt13
    You guys have convinced me to upgrade my receiver. Found a Marantz 1602 on sale for 299!

litzdog911

Note that the Marantz brand is also manufactured by Denon.  But since it's newer, hopefully you won't have any issues. 

charliebrandt13
    I know this, but it's a much newer model and I couldn't pass up the deal.                                                                                                                                                                                         
    leshumake

I also have a Denon AVR3312CI and it frequently drops out.  I have had the receiver since June 2011 and the problem started appearing around the May 2012 timeframe.  It happens when using HDMI pass-thru mode with the receiver off as well as with the receiver on and the DIrecTV DVR input selected.  Is this ever going to get fixed?

cajazzman

dcd, I just purchased a new Denon AVR 1913BL, receiver, to replace my older receiver, Yamaha HTR 5140, because we are switching our Home Theater 180 degrees, and we thought we'd get the best, with the new arrangement. Haven't had the chance to get everything installed, but when we do, I'll let you know, what a great receiver the Denon 1913BL is. Oh, and I only paid $329.00 at Fry's, which I found on Slick Deals. Now that's a great deal. Cool

Quote:    Originally Posted by dcd 

My new Denon 1913 works perfectly with my Genie HR34 connected via HDMI.  I do have native set to off and the resolution set to 1080i only.  I'd guess the problem may well be with the TV.  I would run the Genie HDMI directly to the TV as a test so as to isolate the problem.  If it's the TV giving you problems you could try running component cables from the Denon to the TV.

Note that the handshake issue is so elusive you can't wait for someone to provide a software fix, you'll need to correct this yourself.

litzdog911
    Quote: Originally Posted by leshumake  

I also have a Denon AVR3312CI and it frequently drops out.  I have had the receiver since June 2011 and the problem started appearing around the May 2012 timeframe.  It happens when using HDMI pass-thru mode with the receiver off as well as with the receiver on and the DIrecTV DVR input selected.  Is this ever going to get fixed?

As I mentioned in post #3 above, I have zero issues with my Denon AVR3312CI and the two DVRs connected to it via HDMI.   

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page.  Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's.    With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far.  And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

dcd

I'm currently running Lady Gaga radio over Pandora feeding the Denon and it's a real toe tapper. Pandora is a great feature.  The 1913 has a real nice Netflix tuner too.

cajazzman

dcd, a week ago last weekend, my son and I finished switching my Home Theater around, and replacing my Yamaha with a new Denon AVR 1913, running everything through the wall, and I'm so amazed at the difference between my new AVR and the older AVR. The sound is out of this world, and the ease of switching from one mode to another, well....since you have a Denon AVR 1913, you know what I mean, and to believe I only paid $329.00 at Frys. Best move and purchase we ever made. Cool