12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 5:05 AM by dcd RSS

What is the recommended Internet speed for DIRECTV Cinema

serg

I have just installed the DIRECTV Cinema connection kit to my Genie and I can download HD video just fine. I am just surprised at how long it takes ( ~4 hr.) per HD video. I have a Verizon  DSL connection which is working at about 1.5 megabits/sec. (when I tested it) does this sound correct for my internet speed? If so I am going to look into upgrading my Internet speed. Will this help or is the slowness a factor of the wireless connection? FYI: I really love the on demand service I just wish it worked faster!

• Re: What is the recommended Internet speed for DIRECTV Cinema
    fragile

Yeah you definitely want speeds faster than that for the HD content. You should have at least around 6 to 7 mbps.So you should call Verizon and order something faster.

dcd

From our various experiments it appears that a connection speed of about 8 Mbps is required to reliably download a program close to "real time".  That being said, rates vary with the different on demand "channels".  Some get busy and the servers slow down.  At the 1.5 Mbps rate you claim, it would take about 5 hours for each hour of programming.  Although pretty slow, if you plan ahead a day or more, the programming will eventually download.  Of course, anything you can get that's faster is just that much better.

serg

Thank you both for your reply. I am going back to 30 Mbs Charter Internet (cable modem) vs. Verizon DSL today and I will make sure I post my findings for anyone who is interested.

dcd

If you run a Cat5 Ethernet cable from the HR34's Ethernet port to your router you'll have the best connection possible.  The wireless CCK is a distant 2nd choice.  Note that to meet Directv recommendations, a DECA BB adapter should be used with the wired connection.

serg

Everything I read said the Genie (whole house DVR) would not work connected directly to the router? That's why I got the CCK in the first place. So it will work directly connected with cat5 cable? I am confused!

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by serg 

So it will work directly connected with cat5 cable? 

yes.

dcd

There is an anomaly in the HR34 Genie that allows it to connect directly to a router via Ethernet cable, just like I posted.  This anomaly does not exist anywhere else and Directv "recommends" that one go ahead and install a DECA BB adapter on the HR34 the same as for other HD DVR's.

serg

Ok I will give that a shot connecting directly to the router via Cat 5 cable. Just for the record,  after going back to the 30 mbs (cable modem)  vs. 1.5 mbs DSL internet connection my download speed went from ~4.5 hr per HD Video to ~1.5 hr per HD video I can live with that. I can actually start watching the video before completing the download. One more question what is a  DECA BB adapter?

smitbret

The offical DirecTV response is a minimum 750kb/s is required and they recommend at least 1.5mbps.

The faster your connection, the better your experience, but it will be the law of diminishing returns after 1.5mbps.

A CCK or CCK-W is the recommended setup for the HR34, but you can plug an ethernet cable directly into the back of the Genie itself. An installer may insist on installing the CCK. 

DECA BB (DECA Broadband Adapter) is just another name for the Cinema Connection Kit (CCK or CCK-Wireless).

peds48
    Quote:    Originally Posted by smitbret 

The offical DirecTV response is a minimum 750kb/s is required and they recommend at least 1.5mbps.

While I have seen that on the website, we all know that a 750 kbps connection is just not going to cut it.

litzdog911

We've suggested that DirecTV update that information on the web site.  Personally I think 5Mbps is the minimum download speed they should recommend. 

dcd
    Quote:    Originally Posted by serg 

I have just installed the DIRECTV Cinema connection kit to my Genie and I can download HD video just fine. I am just surprised at how long it takes ( ~4 hr.) per HD video.

Serg,  The Genie (at least mine) got a software update last night and there is a slick new feature.  Open your guide to channel 1239, select Music, then Guitar Center.  Select the first program in the list.  You should get a "Watch Now" option.  If yours is like mine, the program will play from front to back without delay and will record at the same time.  Not sure what they did, but it appears they took the speed choke off for the Genie.  Note that there was no change to my other HD DVR's system.